Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Urgent help needed to replace a suitcase!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi!

I'm just in Bangkok en route to the airport to fly to Hong Kong. Unfortunately the zip on my suitcase had come off and now there is a gaping hole in the side. The bag is dead.

I'm planning on having it wrapped up super tight in plastic in BKK (fingers crossed it'll survive the flight ), but will have to buy a replacement tomorrow before Mondays flight to Japan.

Can anyone recommend a place to buy a cheapish suitcase for no more than HK$1000? Or else somewhere selling real brands for reasonable money (ie not full retail prices )...A cheap department store maybe?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:23 pm
Suspended

How long your layover? Where are you staying?

Check out SOGO / Wing On / Sincere department stores. They will have everything you need - no name brands....to Delsey / Samsonite, etc
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I arrive late on Saturday, leave early Monday. I'm staying near Central. I'll check out Sogo, thanks
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by shefgab
I arrive late on Saturday, leave early Monday. I'm staying near Central. I'll check out Sogo, thanks
If you are staying in Central, Central Sincere and Wng On is a better choice than to Sogo in CWB where one of the occupy site is.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Wing On and Sincere are good but going to SOGO is not an issue on the MTR. You don't have to get out to the street.

BTW, SOGO Tsim Sha Tsui has reopened at the Sheraton.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: BA
I believe SOGO is having a sale right now.
but not sure if it applies to suitcases.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I believe the sales apply to suit case as well, but the sogo sales itself is like a war zone (for human rushing to burn their hard earned money).....
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:07 pm

Sogo, Wingon, and other department stores are relatively pricey for Hong Kong. If you're looking for something basic just to get you to Japan and home, you can find plenty of luggages on the street. You can get a big basic on for maybe $300 HKD.

Many stores sell luggage on sale these days, and they place them usually right in the front of the store on the sidewalk.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi, OP here. I braved the crowds in Sogo, and managed to find a nice, reasonably priced suitcase. There was a big sale on, which may explain why the whole place was akin to Black Friday. It seems to be a pasttime to go luggage shopping with the extended family, including grandma and the new born. Horrible, but thankfully everything's storted.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Hi, OP here. I braved the crowds in Sogo, and managed to find a nice, reasonably priced suitcase.
What did you end up picking up?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Noodlesz
Sogo, Wingon, and other department stores are relatively pricey for Hong Kong. If you're looking for something basic just to get you to Japan and home, you can find plenty of luggages on the street. You can get a big basic on for maybe $300 HKD.

Many stores sell luggage on sale these days, and they place them usually right in the front of the store on the sidewalk.
^^^
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXcity
What did you end up picking up?
I got a nice yellow hard back Antler roller. After I brought it the sales lady offered me a free little red one for free so I came away with 2 nice bags!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:45 pm
Suspended

I got a nice yellow hard back Antler roller. After I brought it the sales lady offered me a free little red one for free so I came away with 2 nice bags!
The sales offered to you AFTER you paid for the big one? That's quite rare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.