Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do in Hong Kong 04-0500 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Things to do in Hong Kong 04-0500 onwards

My mum is scheduled to fly on the 19th of September on CX 845 to HKG which arrives around 520. My mum will be continuing to MNL on CX 919 later that day after arriving from JFK which departs around 1435 so that is alot of hours to kill. I would like to ask what are some things and activities me and my mum can do around that time onwards. I’m not sure if there is anything open around that time. Anyone have any suggestions? My mum has never seen Hong Kong so this is probably a great time for me to show her around. I was thinking about The Peak and having dim sum.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by maortega15
My mum is scheduled to fly on the 19th of September on CX 845 to HKG which arrives around 520. My mum will be continuing to MNL on CX 919 later that day after arriving from JFK which departs around 1435 so that is alot of hours to kill. I would like to ask what are some things and activities me and my mum can do around that time onwards. I’m not sure if there is anything open around that time. Anyone have any suggestions? My mum has never seen Hong Kong so this is probably a great time for me to show her around. I was thinking about The Peak and having dim sum.
I would advise her to switch to the 9a flight to MNL and simply chill in one of the lounges. My problem with your morning plan is that I like to relax anyway after those long red eyes so I usually do the spa thing in the morning and don't get moving until around 9a anyway. And, between 9a and noon, I don't know of many great ways to pass time other than working and a quick bite.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA
Assuming that you are able get a reasonable amount of sleep during the flight, I would certainly try to see a bit of the city during the layover. Get a shower first at either at the CX Arrivals Lounge or the Plaza Premium (landside, in T2), then head to Mongkok for the Flower and Bird Garden/Market. Dozens of local breakfast joints in the area, dim sum, etc.
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...ird-garden.jsp
I would then do the Star Ferry and Peak combo, before heading back down to take the Airport Express.
Lin Heung opens at 6, Luk Yu at 7.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I would advise her to switch to the 9a flight to MNL and simply chill in one of the lounges. My problem with your morning plan is that I like to relax anyway after those long red eyes so I usually do the spa thing in the morning and don't get moving until around 9a anyway. And, between 9a and noon, I don't know of many great ways to pass time other than working and a quick bite.
The 901 to MNL has changed from daily to only 3 times a week now. So she chose the 919. We plan to visit The Peak and grab some dim sum in Central as I've never been there myself out of all my years in Hong Kong. She wants to come along to so its a perfect time in my opinion to show mum Hong Kong. My friend at work mentioned this dim sum place in City Hall in Central. Anyone know the place my friend is talking about?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Maxim City Hall. I don't think they are open until 11ish.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

That sucks. Any similar place that opens early like around 6-8?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lin Heung at Wellington and Aberdeen opens at 6am, Luk Yu on Stanley opens at 7am.

http://hongkongyamcha.com/ is a good collection of information regarding yam cha.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

My friend mentioned this place.

So here is the tentative plan me and my mum have:

-Take the Airport Express to the restaurant above. (Anyone know the fastest way to get there? And how much is the place minimum?)
-Go to The Peak, walk around, etc.
-Not sure what else to do honestly.
-Head back to the airport around 1030ish-11ish.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:04 pm

My friend mentioned this place.

So here is the tentative plan me and my mum have:

-Take the Airport Express to the restaurant above. (Anyone know the fastest way to get there? And how much is the place minimum?)
AEX plus taxi unless you're out of their more than 20 minutes before the first AEX train at 554a; in that case... taxi all the way. But, since it doesn't open until 730a, you're going to have some time to kill in your plan. Perhaps you could select a place in Aberdeen or Stanley instead... would be hard to slot either in to your plan unless you start out there.

-Go to The Peak, walk around, etc.
-Not sure what else to do honestly.
-Head back to the airport around 1030ish-11ish.
For the 235p flight, you really don't need get on the AEX before 130p, so I'd say showing up at HK station on Kowloon station by 1p would be more than safe.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

AEX plus taxi unless you're out of their more than 20 minutes before the first AEX train at 554a; in that case... taxi all the way. But, since it doesn't open until 730a, you're going to have some time to kill in your plan. Perhaps you could select a place in Aberdeen or Stanley instead... would be hard to slot either in to your plan unless you start out there.
What doesn't open till 730a? And what would be hard to slot? By the time mum gets through immigration, it would be around 7a anyways.

For the 235p flight, you really don't need get on the AEX before 130p, so I'd say showing up at HK station on Kowloon station by 1p would be more than safe.
I want to show my mum the numerous lounges so I want to get to the airport early.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At 7 in the morning it would not take you more than 10 minutes from Central AEX stn to Jade Garden in CWB.

Peak visit you need to play it by the weather. Have a back up plan.

You can grab take out dim sum at Tim Ho Wan outlet at Central AEX station, one floor down from street level and compare.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:34 pm

What doesn't open till 730a? And what would be hard to slot?
Jade Garden (from the link you provided).

By the time mum gets through immigration, it would be around 7a anyways.
I highly doubt that. I've never failed to escape the airport within 20 minutes when arriving before 6a (eChannel helps, of course, but I've traveled with non-eChannel people and they haven't slowed me down much).
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Wel'll see what time my mum lands. If weather will not be good that day, what other activities can me and my mum do?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up

If the weather tends to be like crap the day of my mum's arrival, what other activities me and my mum do for a few hours?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
stay in one of the indoor malls? or take an erlier flight.

if it rains, you can get on a street tram and wander till the far end and back in order to see different parts of hong kong. just pull up the window so you wont get wet. thats what i would suggest besides staying in a mall.

there's a maxims at shun tak center
aka macau ferry pier in sheung wan. them like jade garden are all under the same group as in the maxims in city hall. saves you the hassle of taking a cab and get ur legs moved on the walkway between hong kong station and shun tak centre.

actually dimsum wise i would recommend lin heung (more rustic) or luk yu (a bit more upscale yet traditional). depends on day of week luk yu might be full of regulars even at those hours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.