Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Need Chinese visa if catching flight in PRC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere

So say I am visiting Hong Kong, but airfare is cheaper to places like CAN or SZX. I know if you're flying in, you get up to 72hrs at CAN and probably 24hrs free transit visa if you have a confirmed ticket out of country.

However, say what happens when you are on the way home. I would be going through a land crossing from HKG to PRC. Would they permit entry with only a plane ticket in hand?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
NO.

If you are thinking about cheaping out on a HKG trip by flying into SZX or CAN you will need a 2 entry visa for Canadian passport holders.
Do check the price of the visa.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Sounds like someone bought today's $388 CAD r/t fare from YVR to PEK/PVG/CAN
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Where is the deal?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
Where is the deal?
http://www.yvrdeals.com/vancouver-to...-mistake-fares

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...1-1-ai-rt.html
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Heh, I wish I did. Couldn't make the dates work for myself. Was trying to book some cheap tickets for some family members that want to head to HK though.

To add further complexity to the question. How about if the person holds a 3* HKID with the 10 year "return to home" pass? Would that allow them to cross the land border to hop on a flight in the PRC?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
If you are thinking about cheaping out on a HKG trip by flying into SZX or CAN
Tried it once and determined that it's not worth the savings.

Flew F on CZ from SZX to KWL and was using the special connector coach at H.K.'s Element shopping mall to SZX. F from SZX to KWL was nearly half the price of F from HKG and "better" departure time.

The check in agent was clueless. They first refused to add my DL FF no. because my DL FF card did not have my photo on it. They then refused to check me in because I was flying F. The check in service was offered to Y passengers only. Another ridiculous excuse.

Not really such a big deal to wait until arrival SZX for other than an annoyance but the border crossing was a nightmare. The coach driver could not speak any English and there was no pre-recording English announcement in the coach. It's a different coach after one crossed the border.

The coach ride from Element to SZX added another 3 hours to the trip each way.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by teriyaki
To add further complexity to the question. How about if the person holds a 3* HKID with the 10 year "return to home" pass? Would that allow them to cross the land border to hop on a flight in the PRC?
I can't address OP question. But in your example, although never tried, assume this should be perfectly fine.

You actually have all the proper paperwork to enter/exit at anytime. The only other doc required when you fly out is your passport that confirms ability to land at destination.

I'm thinking of doing this early next year, visit HK on biz, use my HK SARS card and return to home permit to fly up to Beijing [and save on getting Visa for my US passport], then flying back to states.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by teriyaki
I am 97.5% sure that you can do it as some of my friends have done it.

By obtaining a "return to home" pass and declaring that you are a Chinese national, entering China with the "return to home" pass instead of your Canadian passport, you have forfeited your entitlement to Canadian consular assistance and protection whilst in China.

It's a personal choice.

Last edited by Clipper801; Dec 2, 2013 at 10:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.