Reload this Page >

Hong Kong MTR Airport Express: buy 1 get 1 free promotion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong MTR Airport Express: buy 1 get 1 free promotion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:52 am

I'm a little confused on how this works. Do I just order 1, pay with my card (which qualifies), and then I get an automatic voucher for another?

What if I do the Airport Express Travel Pass that has the $50 deposit? How do they charge for that?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
you'll need to buy the (one-way) ticket online and they will send you 2 booking references (seperately, for the "bought" one and the "free" one). Note you'll need to check the relevant boxes when buying the ticket with those VI to earn the free ticket.

you'll then need to redeem the tickets (with the above references) just before getting thru the gates. (so just as you board/ITCI when airport-bound, or after you get out of the train in town when city-bound)

you could also redeem in the airport for city-bound trips before you board the train.

tommy14, im thinking with 30 ppl you might be better off to charter a coach for airport-town trip at a lower cost. otherwise if you're heading to HK station i might be able to give you guys a hand since i only have to buy the ticket just before you guys get thru the gates.

SirJman you'll need to be getting the 1-way ticket. not the travel pass.

Clipper801 as mentioned above you wont even get thru the purchasing process if you dont use a qualified VI. "showing the card" is just to verify you being the holder of the booking. otherwise you'll have an authorization form.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801
There are "group" tickets if you can find at least one other team member to travel with you:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/whatsnew/p..._4persons.html

Where will you be starting your journey to the airport on departure? There are other options such as the "A" prefix Cityflyer buses:

http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/air...px?intLangID=1

If you buy the 3-day AETP, the price includes a HK$50 refundable deposit, plus any unused value stored in the AETP (or the regular Octopus card) are fully refundable when you return the card for cancellation on departure. Buy in advance over the MTR web site and you get a small discount with the AETP.
so am in Australia now and will be flying to HKG on Friday, staying until 0030 on sunday flying back to SFO and then home.
So with the AETP, I understand if I get it online that it is only 235 as there is a 50 deposit, but since I am only going to be there for ~30 hours would the extra 2 days be refunded as well? I need 2x Air EXP passes and a day or so of transit. I am traveling with my wife so there would be 2 of us so I could geta group discount but if the refund is much more than the 50 deposit that would be great as it would be about $30 USD for a round trip ticket to and from HKG and a full day of transit.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by TravelPDX7
so am in Australia now and will be flying to HKG on Friday, staying until 0030 on sunday flying back to SFO and then home.
So with the AETP, I understand if I get it online that it is only 235 as there is a 50 deposit, but since I am only going to be there for ~30 hours would the extra 2 days be refunded as well? I need 2x Air EXP passes and a day or so of transit. I am traveling with my wife so there would be 2 of us so I could geta group discount but if the refund is much more than the 50 deposit that would be great as it would be about $30 USD for a round trip ticket to and from HKG and a full day of transit.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance.
No. Any unused day pass will not be refunded. The 285 HKD ticket does consist of 50 HKD refundable deposit. Group ticket discount will normally a better deal
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
2 of us to be in Hong Kong for 3 days (Fri - Mon). What is the best travel pass for local travel plus roundtrip on the Airport express?

Is it better to buy in advance online? (this is after Oct 1st)

Did some searching - looks like there is such a pass.

Airport Express Travel Pass - 2 Airport Express Ride
HK$300.0
HK$285.0 online

Each pack includes:

•2 designated journeys on the Airport Express (excluding travel between Airport and AsiaWorld-Expo stations) plus 3 consecutive days of unlimited travel on MTR, Light Rail and MTR Bus (Northwest New Territories)* (except additional travel on the Airport Express, East Rail Line First Class, and travel to/from Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau stations)
•A refund of HK$50 upon returning the Pass
•Earn 150 Asia Miles for online ticket purchase

https://www.paydollar.com/b2c2/AELCo...000&itemid=214

What are Asia Miles?

Last edited by cova; Nov 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by cova
2 of us to be in Hong Kong for 3 days (Fri - Mon). What is the best travel pass for local travel plus roundtrip on the Airport express?

Is it better to buy in advance online? (this is after Oct 1st)

Did some searching - looks like there is such a pass.

Airport Express Travel Pass - 2 Airport Express Ride
HK$300.0
HK$285.0 online

Each pack includes:

•2 designated journeys on the Airport Express (excluding travel between Airport and AsiaWorld-Expo stations) plus 3 consecutive days of unlimited travel on MTR, Light Rail and MTR Bus (Northwest New Territories)* (except additional travel on the Airport Express, East Rail Line First Class, and travel to/from Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau stations)
•A refund of HK$50 upon returning the Pass
•Earn 150 Asia Miles for online ticket purchase

https://www.paydollar.com/b2c2/AELCo...000&itemid=214

What are Asia Miles?
Which hotel will you be staying? The Airport Express train may not necessarily be the best option for you. Generally, buying the discounted "group of two" Airport Express tickets + regular "on loan" Octopus card to pay as you go are usually a better choice.

Asia Miles is the FF programme of Cathay Pacific.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Which hotel will you be staying? The Airport Express train may not necessarily be the best option for you. Generally, buying the discounted "group of two" Airport Express tickets + regular "on loan" Octopus card to pay as you go are usually a better choice.

Asia Miles is the FF programme of Cathay Pacific.
JW Marriott

Two of us. So that is $160 HKD each way for two or $320 RT. (versus $285 x 2 - $50 refund each). Plus Octopus card.

Thus for visitor pass:
$285 * 2 = $570 - $100 = $470.

Group ticket:
$160 * 2 = $320 + Octopus card

How much is a single ride within Hong Kong on the train with the card?

Last edited by cova; Nov 23, 2013 at 8:00 am
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
JW Marriott

Two of us. So that is $160 HKD each way for two or $320 RT. (versus $285 x 2 - $50 refund each). Plus Octopus card.

Thus for visitor pass:

Group ticket:

Cheapest fare is $3.5 on certain short hops. Most expensive that you can use the Tourist passes is $28.7 (Octopus fare) between Disney and Tuen Mun. From Admiralty, cheapest is $4.1 (Octopus), most expensive $24.6 to Tuen Mun; one stop across the harbor to Tsim Sha Tsui is $8.8. Currently every 2nd ride of the day gets 10% off using the same Octopus.

Last edited by rkkwan; Nov 23, 2013 at 5:38 pm
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:11 am

JW Marriott

Thus for visitor pass:

Group ticket:

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Cheapest fare is $3.5 on certain short hops. Most expensive that you can use the Tourist passes is $28.7 (Octopus fare) between Disney and Tuen Mun. From Admiralty, cheapest is $4.1 (Octopus), most expensive $24.6 to Tuen Mun; one stop across the harbor to Tsim Sha Tsui is $8.8. Currently every 2nd ride of the day gets 10% off using the same Octopus.
The cost of single fare is based on distance travelled and form of payment.

The breakeven point is $285 - $160 - $50 = $75

If you will ride more than $75 within the 3 days' validity on the MTR lines that are included with the Airport Express Travel Pass, you will be better off with the AETP. If not, get the group discount AE tickets + regular "on loan" Octopus.

Please note the "unlimited rides" on the AETP is on the MTR only. It does not include buses, tram, the Star Ferry, etc.

Both the AETP and regular "on loan" Octopus card require/include a refundable $50 deposit. Any unused value stored in the "on loan" Octopus card is also refundable when you return it for cancellation on departure. You may do so at the MTR kiosk at the airport. Just allow an extra 15 minutes.

Even if you decide to get the AETP, I'd still suggest that you load $100 into it for use on other purchases. The AETP is also an "on loan" Octopus card but with the extra features of AE tickets and 3 days' unlimited rides on the MTR programmed into it. It may be used as an Octopus card to pay for purchases of goods and services if you load $ into it.

BTW there is a complimentary shuttle bus to the JWM from AE Hong Kong Station or you can easily hire a taxi there.

Last edited by Clipper801; Nov 25, 2013 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The cost of single fare is based on distance travelled and form of payment.
Getting off-topic, but MTR fares is based on a lot more than just distance. Very convoluted, as factors include geographical barriers, ex-KCR vs ex-MTR fares, time of completion of line, competition, and so on. Hard to decipher and plenty of unreasonable fares in the system.

It's be a lot simpler if it's simply based on distance.

And, while Octopus fare is generally cheaper than single-ticket, sometimes they're the same; and in some circumstances with the Light Rail in NW New Territories, Octopus fare costs more.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:26 am

-duplicate/deleted-

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 18, 2014 at 6:20 am
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:01 pm
Suspended

The breakeven point is $285 - $160 - $50 = $75

If you will ride more than $75 within the 3 days' validity on the MTR lines that are included with the Airport Express Travel Pass, you will be better off with the AETP. If not, get the group discount AE tickets + regular "on loan" Octopus..
The breakeven point is actually $84

There's the $9 handling fee for refunding Octopus cards within less than 3 months.

I would say $84 of MTR rides within 3 days isn't uncommon. Most trips will take you average of at least $5-7 already. But if you plan to take a mixture of other transportation, then the calculation gets more complex.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
The breakeven point is actually $84

There's the $9 handling fee for refunding Octopus cards within less than 3 months.

I would say $84 of MTR rides within 3 days isn't uncommon. Most trips will take you average of at least $5-7 already. But if you plan to take a mixture of other transportation, then the calculation gets more complex.
The AETP is not subject to the HK$9 administration fee. It only applies to the regular "on loan" Octopus card.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:31 pm
Suspended

The AETP is not subject to the HK$9 administration fee. It only applies to the regular "on loan" Octopus card.
Yes, but it will affect OP's comparison between the two.

Sorry, actually my calculation is off. It's actually the opposite (I knew something was wrong when I was calculating it the first time!) The breakeven point is actually $66.

AETP - total: $235 per person.
Group tic + onloan: $160 + [$50-41 deposit] = $169 excluding any MTR rides.

If you can spend $66 or more within 3 days on MTR, go for the AETP.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Yes, but it will affect OP's comparison between the two.

Sorry, actually my calculation is off. It's actually the opposite (I knew something was wrong when I was calculating it the first time!) The breakeven point is actually $66.

AETP - total: $235 per person.
Group tic + onloan: $160 + [$50-41 deposit] = $169 excluding any MTR rides.

If you can spend $66 or more within 3 days on MTR, go for the AETP.
Yes, you are right. One must add the HK$9 administration fee in doing a comparison calculation between the AETP and the regular "on-loan" Octopus card!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.