Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Express

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Amex, CX MPC, IHG PC, LX M&M
Airport Express

I'm going to be using the Airport Express for my trip on Friday for HKG-BKK in J. What should I expect? Are there any tips etc?

Cheers
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Well except using in-town check-in there's nothing special. (note though sometime line at in-town check in can be very ugly, just go direct to airport check-in if that's the case)
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Amex, CX MPC, IHG PC, LX M&M
Thanks. Hopefully it won't be too busy at 6am!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: QF WP
Depending on your location, it might be easier using the airport buses. They take a bit more time, but if you are close to a bus stop, it definitely saves you making your way to the MTR station - you simply get on the bus, and get off the bus at the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:33 am

Ride at the back of the train for CX check in / south security.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Unrelated to CX - moving to HKG forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I've read on one of the hong kong your it websites that some local travel agents can provide 30 percent discount tickets on airport express. Does anyone have any information

One other question with the combined airport express 3 day tourist pass the cost includes a 50 deposit. What is the deposit for and is this this a good deal?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by worldiswide
I've read on one of the hong kong your it websites that some local travel agents can provide 30 percent discount tickets on airport express. Does anyone have any information

One other question with the combined airport express 3 day tourist pass the cost includes a 50 deposit. What is the deposit for and is this this a good deal?
Deposit is for the card itself, which is a variant of the Octopus stored-value cards used in HK. If you return it, you'll get your $50 back.

Whether it's a good deal depends on whether you're going to ride the MTR trains a lot in those 3 days, as well as whether you can get other discounts on the Airport Express to start with. For example, 2, 3 or 4 traveling together on the AE already get a discount, with 4 traveling together really cheap already. So, the value of the tourist card lessens in that case.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by worldiswide

Most if not all travel agent has that already. Just walk in and ask for airport express voucher will do

BTW if you have more than 2 passenger traveling together it may make more sense to get group ticket at airport express service counter instead.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for your clarifications. We've got 2 people on the way in and 4 on the way out so it looks like airport express is a good deal with or without MTR.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:04 am

MTR Tourist Value Pack

If you are able to use at least some of the discount vouchers in the MTR Tourist Value Pack that comes with the Airport Express Travel Pass, it will reduce the breakeven cost:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/whatsnew/valuepack2011.html

However, the promotion ends in a few days and not sure if it will be extended.

Depending on where you will be staying and the amount of luggage, taxi may be a viable alternative. Otherwise, as suggested by another poster, the "A" prefix Cityflyer bus is also a good choice if your hotel is near a bus stop. However, you will have to carry your luggage onto the bus where there is a rack for you to store it.

http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/air...px?intLangID=1

Any unused value stored in the AETP and the deposit are fully refundable when you return the card for cancellation on departure. You can do it at the airport. The same applies to the "regular" Octopus card but is subject to a HK$7 administration fee which is not applicable to the AETP.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Whether it's a good deal depends on whether you're going to ride the MTR trains a lot in those 3 days
Also, the "3-day MTR pass" is really 3-4 days: it covers the first partial day that you use the MTR, plus the next 3 full calendar days. So, since by definition you don't use the MTR on the first day prior to when you use it the first time on that day, it's effectively a 4-day pass. It's not clear to me why they don't just call it a 4-day pass based on the way it actually works.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:53 pm

If you are going from HK station, the travel agent right next to the check in desks sells HK Express open return one month tix for HK$140.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Steve M
Also, the "3-day MTR pass" is really 3-4 days: it covers the first partial day that you use the MTR, plus the next 3 full calendar days. So, since by definition you don't use the MTR on the first day prior to when you use it the first time on that day, it's effectively a 4-day pass. It's not clear to me why they don't just call it a 4-day pass based on the way it actually works.
Maybe to avoid people who claim that 4 days = 96 hours.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We arrive on a Thursday night and leave on Monday. So if we buy the 3 day, it will cover our AE journey on Thursday evening, MTR on Fri, Sat, and Sun and then will we be able to use for AE on Monday or not?

Can we add extra value to this card for other things while we are there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.