Search

Hong Kong Courtyard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, UA 1k, National Exec
Cool Hong Kong Courtyard

Hi,

My husband and I are traveling to Hong Kong over Thanksgiving for 8 nights. I am Platinum at Marriott and Diamond at Hilton and am trying to figure out which hotel to stay at. I have booked the Courtyard, the rate, because I have booked an entire week, is $135/night US, which seems crazy. I have a friend of a friend who lives in Hong Kong and cautioned us against the Courtyard because of the location. I read Trip Advisor and didn't find any real negative comments. I need the nights at Marriott to maintain my status for next year, so Marriott is my preference. I travel a lot and do not worry about not being in the middle of things, but am a little nervous about his warnings of not staying at the Courtyard. Anyone have words of advice?

Also, any "must do's" while there? We love adventure.

Thanks
Cheryl
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
$135 a night is an awesome rate for a hotel of that quality in Hong Kong. It is located in the Western District, and is quite a walk to the nearest MTR (subway) station - distance-wise, not bad, but takes a long time because of pedestrian traffic and lots of streets to cross. You will be using buses and the HK Tramway quite a bit if you stay there, or taxis.

The area is very local. You won't be finding luxury stores or fancy restaurants. But it is totally safe.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by cgoeke
Hi,

My husband and I are traveling to Hong Kong over Thanksgiving for 8 nights. I am Platinum at Marriott and Diamond at Hilton and am trying to figure out which hotel to stay at. I have booked the Courtyard, the rate, because I have booked an entire week, is $135/night US, which seems crazy. I have a friend of a friend who lives in Hong Kong and cautioned us against the Courtyard because of the location. I read Trip Advisor and didn't find any real negative comments. I need the nights at Marriott to maintain my status for next year, so Marriott is my preference. I travel a lot and do not worry about not being in the middle of things, but am a little nervous about his warnings of not staying at the Courtyard. Anyone have words of advice?

Also, any "must do's" while there? We love adventure.

Thanks
Cheryl
Welcome to FT.

$135/night is very Reasonable for Hong Kong. However, it is not closed to any tourist place but given the size of Hong Kong, most every place could be just 30 minutes away by tram/bus/subway/taxi.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
$135 a night is an awesome rate for a hotel of that quality in Hong Kong. It is located in the Western District, and is quite a walk to the nearest MTR (subway) station - distance-wise, not bad, but takes a long time because of pedestrian traffic and lots of streets to cross. You will be using buses and the HK Tramway quite a bit if you stay there, or taxis.

The area is very local. You won't be finding luxury stores or fancy restaurants. But it is totally safe.
Thanks for the feedback. I am not a "luxury store or fancy restaurant" type girl so it sounds like it will be ok. We are not rushed in anyway so if we have to walk a little and be creative I'm ok with it. After reading Trip Advisor it sounded like it is nice to get back to this area as it is quiet! I was shocked at the rate and of course a little concerned that it may be in a dangerous area, but it doesn't seem that way.

Again thank you.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the feedback. I am not a "luxury store or fancy restaurant" type girl so it sounds like it will be ok. We are not rushed in anyway so if we have to walk a little and be creative I'm ok with it. After reading Trip Advisor it sounded like it is nice to get back to this area as it is quiet! I was shocked at the rate and of course a little concerned that it may be in a dangerous area, but it doesn't seem that way.

Again thank you.
There is no dangerous area in Hong Kong, period. The most "seedy" area is next to the 5* Langham Place in Mongkok, but it's still very okay.

The Western District is "quiet" at night, as it is not an area for late dining or shopping, like Tsim Sha Tsui, Mong Kok or Causeway Bay. But you'll find plenty of people on the streets even in the evening, getting back home and out of restaurants. It's an interesting area that you have nothing to worry about, other than having no MTR (until 2013/4). When the MTR extension is completed, I'm sure the rate of the Courtyard will be significantly higher than it is now.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by lax2010
$135/night is very Reasonable for Hong Kong. However, it is not closed to any tourist place but given the size of Hong Kong, most every place could be just 30 minutes away by tram/bus/subway/taxi.
I got it for less than $100 a night - thanks to Marriott's LNF, for a stay after x'mas to early Jan.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: nobody
It is in the western part of HK Island, right outside of the hotel you can take a tram $2 HKD to Central or Causeway bay to the busy part of the town. Cab ride to Central say LKF is about $25 HKD. I think the location is great but I maybe biased as I grew up in that neighborhood that's why I enjoy staying there. I also had a review on TripAdvisor about this hotel, as long as MTR is not your primary mode of transportation, then you will like this hotel. I paid $62/night on Priceline during Chinese New Year. But since you need the stay credits $135 is a good deal.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by nacho
I got it for less than $100 a night - thanks to Marriott's LNF, for a stay after x'mas to early Jan.
Hotel price for HONGKONG has been skyrocket starting this past few months! It is fantastic that you can get it for less than $100 after Christmas and before New Year this year at any booking website! Care to PM the website your found the lower price?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lax2010
Hotel price for HONGKONG has been skyrocket starting this past few months! It is fantastic that you can get it for less than $100 after Christmas and before New Year this year at any booking website! Care to PM the website your found the lower price?
Hi
It's actually through our company website, apparently we get great prices because of the size of the company. Sorry!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
It is in the western part of HK Island, right outside of the hotel you can take a tram $2 HKD to Central or Causeway bay to the busy part of the town. Cab ride to Central say LKF is about $25 HKD. I think the location is great but I maybe biased as I grew up in that neighborhood that's why I enjoy staying there. I also had a review on TripAdvisor about this hotel, as long as MTR is not your primary mode of transportation, then you will like this hotel. I paid $62/night on Priceline during Chinese New Year. But since you need the stay credits $135 is a good deal.
Thanks for the great tips, I think we'll go for it and enjoy being away from the hustle and bustle, knowing we can get there easily!! $62/night for Marriott, wow, that's great, but you don't get stay credits you're right.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
$62/night for Marriott, wow, that's great, but you don't get stay credits you're right.
With the $100 in savings you can just go buy a night at another Marriott!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:55 pm

This hotel is actually one of my favorites - super easy to access from the airport. If you took the A10 or A11 CityFlyer from the Airport to the hotel, it only takes ~35mins. When departing, the bus stop is actually right outside the hotel!!

And if you have time, you can take the tram for $2HKD 1 block up the hotel. That will take you ANYWHERE in the HK Island, including Central and Causeway Bay.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR_Kuma
This hotel is actually one of my favorites - super easy to access from the airport. If you took the A10 or A11 CityFlyer from the Airport to the hotel, it only takes ~35mins. When departing, the bus stop is actually right outside the hotel!!

And if you have time, you can take the tram for $2HKD 1 block up the hotel. That will take you ANYWHERE in the HK Island, including Central and Causeway Bay.
It's now HK$2.30.

The fast way to get to Central is to take bus 5X from that same bus stop next on Water Street right across from the hotel. Frequent, and first stop from the Courtyard is ifc2, taking just 5 minutes. And it continues to Causeway Bay. Only problem is that it's always standing room only from that stop.

Unfortunately, 5X from Central doesn't stop in the area, so have to take the slower 5B.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by YVR_Kuma
you can take the tram for $2HKD 1 block up the hotel. That will take you ANYWHERE in the HK Island, including Central and Causeway Bay.
Slight exaggeration there: it won't get you anywhere near Aberdeen, Stanley, Repulse Bay, Shek O, or The Peak.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
It's now HK$2.30.
Awwwwww...!! I guess they raised the price since April!! I better load up my octopus card when I go back in Nov XD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.