Wiki Posts
Search

Roast Goose at HKIA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Roast Goose at HKIA

I'm flying back to Manila via HKIA, and I'm arriving before dinner so I was thinking it would be nice to bring home a Roast Goose for my family back home. I was wondering if there is anything inside HKIA departure area that I could but those boxed Roast Goose?

I would really like to get Yung Kee but I only have 3 hours so I doubt I could skedaddle to Central and order one and take it home with me.

Any suggestions? I always eat at Tasty Congee...do they have takeaways?

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Oct 1, 2011 at 5:10 am
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by kesler.go
I'm flying back to Manila via HKIA, and I'm arriving before dinner so I was thinking it would be nice to bring home a Roast Goose for my family back home. I was wondering if there is anything inside HKIA departure area that I could but those boxed Roast Goose?

I would really like to get Yung Kee but I only have 3 hours so I doubt I could skedaddle to Central and order one and take it home with me.

Any suggestions? I always eat at Tasty Congee...do they have takeaways?
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/s...astf/maxf.html
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The only good way of eating a roast goose is at Yung Kee freshly roasted. It is not the same kept warm or packed to go to be eaten later.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks jerry a. laska, but its one the arrival side. I was hoping there was something on the departure area so I wouldn't have to clear customs.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
The only good way of eating a roast goose is at Yung Kee freshly roasted. It is not the same kept warm or packed to go to be eaten later.
There's not much of a choice...a packed roast goose from HK is still better than those you get in Manila.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I found this thread and thought I post my question here instead of starting a new thread.

Last week I 'explored' HKG (instead of just sitting at the lounge) and found out there's a Yung Kee at departure level. To those of you who have tried the one at HKG: does it make sense to buy roast goose from Central or should I just buy it from HKG before departing? Yes, in theory it should be the same (as it is the same restaurant) but I wonder if the ones at HKG are 'leftover' from Central (i.e. they keep new/fresh ones at Central and send old ones from the day before to HKG)?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rivarix
I found this thread and thought I post my question here instead of starting a new thread.

Last week I 'explored' HKG (instead of just sitting at the lounge) and found out there's a Yung Kee at departure level. To those of you who have tried the one at HKG: does it make sense to buy roast goose from Central or should I just buy it from HKG before departing? Yes, in theory it should be the same (as it is the same restaurant) but I wonder if the ones at HKG are 'leftover' from Central (i.e. they keep new/fresh ones at Central and send old ones from the day before to HKG)?
irs about the same. I’ve bought a few times it was still fresh. Caveat they do wrap them in plastic before stuffing the goose in the box, so don’t expect the skin to be crispy.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

irs about the same. I’ve bought a few times it was still fresh. Caveat they do wrap them in plastic before stuffing the goose in the box, so don’t expect the skin to be crispy.
That's good to hear
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Personally I like Tasty Congee's Roast Goose more, unfortunately last time I was there was December and they were still under renovation.

I don't recommend Tai Hing though...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
OK cool. thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: MP, BR

Even tried heating up the goose in an oven? It should help to crisp the skin a bit. Needs a little trial and error in terms of the oven temperature as I only use a toaster oven but it's definitely better than heating it in the microwave.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Chromie25
Even tried heating up the goose in an oven? It should help to crisp the skin a bit. Needs a little trial and error in terms of the oven temperature as I only use a toaster oven but it's definitely better than heating it in the microwave.
Wouldn't it make the meat really dry then?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Wouldn't it make the meat really dry then?
As I use a toaster oven, I usually just heat up small batches and heat it to the point where the meat is slightly warm. The fat in the goose (unless you cut it all out) will help keep the meat moist.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Chromie25
As I use a toaster oven, I usually just heat up small batches and heat it to the point where the meat is slightly warm. The fat in the goose (unless you cut it all out) will help keep the meat moist.

Good point. I had assumed you were heating the whole goose
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would remove the skin from the goose and microwave it between layers of paper towels to get it really crispy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.