Search

Low cost HK accommodation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, VS Gold, BA Silver
Lightbulb Low cost HK accommodation

Hi all,

Just thought I'd start a thread asking for a bit of advice.

I'm spending 5 days in HK in a couple of days and am still trying to find some low cost accommodation. There seems to be so much inconsistency with all the hostel reviews that I can't work out where to stay!

Ideally I'd like to be pretty central (HK Island I think) and I've been told to avoid Chungking Mansions. Anybody have any other places? I've found quite a nice place in Sai Ying Pun, do you think this is a good enough location to be able to explore the rest of Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance!
Oli
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Sai Ying Pun is a local residential area with no MTR(subway) access, which is the biggest shortcoming.

However public transit in other forms are plentiful around the clock, and cheap. So it should be fine.

Perhaps make the effort to find out how to ride the minibus , which is more expensive than a bus but allows stops anywhere that is not a restricted zone, very efficient (maybe too efficient at night lol)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
How about the YWCA at Man Fuk road ? Yeah yeah, i know...

Located near Mongkok so it's on the Kowloon side though...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Hong_Kong.html
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:21 am

How about the Shamrock Hotel in TST? It's not Central, but it's very close to. Multiple ways to get from the hotel to HK Island very quickly, and the rates can be insanely cheap.

http://www.shamrockhotel.com.hk/en/index.html
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
$1000 per night as their special promotion for a basic room ($1500 normal rate) doesn't sound like "insanely cheap" to me.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA
Although nowhere near Central, Cheung Chau is very cheap. A small holiday flat can cost as little as 20 USD per night. The owner of the flats (Miami Resort), Mr. To, speaks English. There is easy and frequent ferry access to Central, right near the Star Ferry pier. The flats are safe even though rather simply and inexpensively furnished. They all do have VCD players and there is a VCD store on the island.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by KChar
Although nowhere near Central, Cheung Chau is very cheap. A small holiday flat can cost as little as 20 USD per night. The owner of the flats (Miami Resort), Mr. To, speaks English. There is easy and frequent ferry access to Central, right near the Star Ferry pier. The flats are safe even though rather simply and inexpensively furnished. They all do have VCD players and there is a VCD store on the island.
What is a flat?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by lax2010
What is a flat?
What is a flat?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
You might also want to check out 'airbnb.com' . They are a worldwide organisation where one rents out their apartment, room or in some cases, tent, for a small sum. There are a few in HK and the prices are quite reasonable if you're staying longer than 6 days.

I have used the services for other places, but not in HK (yet). Its summer, and I want a nice air conditioned room with housekeeping facilities! Of course if you opt for the 'rented flat' option, you have to make your own bed till you check out of course.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by KChar
Although nowhere near Central, Cheung Chau is very cheap.
Those flats(apartments), or rather, simple rooms, were very popular for people to commit suicide, burning charcoal inside the room, properly taped up.

A more serious issue is transportation - no night life at LKF for you, and you're stuck if there is a typhoon.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by beep88
Those flats(apartments), or rather, simple rooms, were very popular for people to commit suicide, burning charcoal inside the room, properly taped up.

A more serious issue is transportation - no night life at LKF for you, and you're stuck if there is a typhoon.
True, but it has been a long time and in the years I have been staying there (a month at a time), there has never been such an incident. I was stuck once during a typhoon. Also there isn't much of a night life, but most people would take the ferry back to Cheung Chau after going out for the night.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:54 pm

For someone who says they want something reasonably central, Cheung Chau is absolutely NOT an option, in fact it is the exact opposite of what the OP wants.

To the OP Sai Ying Pun is a good location. It may not have MTR but getting around in HK is so easy. Taxi, bus, minibus, tram all go from there.

Also there are loads of cheap eating options around Sai Ying Pun and Sheung Wan.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:17 pm

That's Brit English for apartments.
Originally Posted by lax2010
What is a flat?
I agree. Anne Black YWCA is a great hostel that's located near some famous local eateries at Sai Yeong Choi St. I left my cellphone there during a stay and they courier'ed it back to me.

HK is one big city and as long as you're near an MTR station, that's fine.
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
How about the YWCA at Man Fuk road ? Yeah yeah, i know...

Located near Mongkok so it's on the Kowloon side though...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Hong_Kong.html
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by thespaguy
I agree. Anne Black YWCA is a great hostel that's located near some famous local eateries at Sai Yeong Choi St. I left my cellphone there during a stay and they courier'ed it back to me.

HK is one big city and as long as you're near an MTR station, that's fine.
I've stayed at the Anne Black a few times. In fact, I wrote the very first Tripadvisor review of it in 2005. It is not THAT close to a MTR station, at least 10 minutes walk to the Mong Kok MTR through very busy streets. It's actually easier and faster to walk to/from the Yau Ma Tei station straight down Waterloo Rd.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:19 pm

>> (Anne Black YWCA) ... at least 10 minutes walk to the Mong Kok MTR

I would say 10 minutes by TAXI to Mong Kok MTR, or Yaumatei MTR. It is located in a great (and upscale) residential area. With google maps street view, people should look around the neighbourhood and see how far one needs to walk before seeing any shops. Also it's on a hill and not fun walking under hot HK temperatures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.