Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

possible to get a cheap unlock cell phone from HKG airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:37 am
Original Poster

I will go the Taiwan with a 2 hour stopover in HK. Is it possible to get a cheap unlock cell phone in the airport?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Electronics sold at HKG's airport shops aren't cheap and I don't think you will find any bargin priced unlocked cell phone during your brief stopover.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:15 pm

Unfortunately nothing at the airport is cheap. You could try to run into town and find inexpensive phone....
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
With two hours between scheduled arrival and departure I don't think you have time for that.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Thought about unlocking your own phone?

How about eBay?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:58 pm
Suspended

hello

what I have heard before that cellphones in hkg are actually cheaper compared with US rates. I guess the rental amount in US is already a brand new phone in hkg. Im not sure but you can check it out.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Just a few pennies for thoughts:

Popular brands & specific GSM models sold and used in HKG are different compared to those sold and used in USA & elsewhere, including specs & frequencies for so called 2.5G/3G & 4G forthcoming - calling for doing one's own research & planning ahead, a bit of due diligence to avoid surprises. In places like Mong Kok or Sham Shui Po area, you can shop around for inexpensive preowned (used) models below the asking prices since it's usually negotiable - but, warranty on these are limited, if any, on it & mostly invalid for abroad. Loaded firmwares on these phones are generally tailored to local carriers & support Chinese & English, whereas we are used to English/Spanish in the Americas - getting updates & newer flashes might be a problem at one's hometown carrier here in the US. Expect to spend at least $60+ USD minimum for a used & basic model in good condition, more for "mints" and $125 & up for "hip" ones like the Nokia, LG's & Sony's

Citygate Outlets at Tung Chung, on Lantau Island, which is 10-15 minutes taxi ride from HKIA, has a Fortress store on the 1/F - selling popular consumer electronics including mobile phones - one could try to make it over & hunt for a "possible" bargain & even give it a 5 minute workout after purchase to test for functionality before flying back to departure and homeward bound. Otherwise, getting it exchanged or making a warranty repairs claim could be both costly & time-consuming, etc. if the device turned out to be malfunctioning later on. Expect to easily spend at least $200 USD for a boxed new unit with local warranty. High end models by HTC or Nokia are priced in the $350 to $450 USD ranges and up - not exactly a bargain by definition.

Otherwise, getting a quadband GSM prepaid phone at home here might be worth considering - approaching year-end & Black Friday fast, both AT&T and T-Mobile are releasing some fairly good phones, including touch screen ones in the $50 to $100 USD price ranges, which can be unlocked via eBay routes or by the carrier if one meet their requirements for being a customer in good standing for x number of days.

It's buyer's beware or else you will have an expensive paperweight in the form of a bricked phone for one's home/office. On my recent trip, I did picked up an iphone clone, Model i68+ mostly for its dual sim standby functionality, unlocked quadband for global travel use - and at $75 USD, a relative bargain (wifi features - a bonus) And, I had several days of usage in HKG to make sure that it's fully functional before catching our flight home.

If one is looking for a unique style, newest model or must-have features, HKG is probably a good place to shop around - as long as one has time, patience with homework done ahead & days to spare in the city to put the new toy to real life testing to assure its performance are up to the standards.

Happy shopping for one's "bargain" - but I generally go no further than eBay for great deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.