Wiki Posts
Search

HKG 1 night layover + visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
HKG 1 night layover + visa

I have browsed through the HKG subforum and have not found the info I was looking for.
I will be going From SFO to HKG to DPS and my sfo-HKG lands at 18:45 while my HKG-DPS leaves @10:05 next morning.
After doing a little research I saw that there was no need for a visa for US (wife) or French (me) citizens.

- Can I spend 24h or less in HKG with no visa (french and US citizen?

- What do you guys recommend for this transit and its cost? (trying not to spend too much) airport hotel? city hotel +transportation...

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:58 am

No, French and American citizens do not require a visa for an overnight transit stay in HK. The entry requirements as posted at the HK Immigration Dept.'s web site are as follows:

"Visit or Transit

3. An application for an entry visa/permit to enter Hong Kong for a visit (leisure, social or business) or transit may be favourably considered if:

- the applicant's bona fides are not in doubt;
- the applicant has adequate funds to cover the duration of his/her stay without working; and
- where the application is for a transit visa/permit, he/she holds an onward ticket to the place of his/her destination unless the destination is the Mainland of China or the Macao SAR."

Source: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_1.htm#visit

For tourist information, the HK Tourism Board's official web site is a good place to start.

Depending on your budget, choices of hotels are plentiful.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You'll both get 90 day visas on arrival.

There are plenty of threads in this forum on what to do for stays of various lengths.

If you are party animals and manage to get some sleep on the plane over from the US then you might consider doing an all-nighter in Lan Kwai Fong / Wanchai and catching up on your sleep on the plane to Bali. Even at LKF drinks prices that's got to be cheaper than taking a hotel! (Although it only really works if you have lounge access at the airport before and after.)
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Thanks for the replies, tempting suggestions!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
I have the same travel plans and would love some more suggestions! Will we be able to check our bags all the way through to DPS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.