Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Hilton: Surpass vs. No-fee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by tvelinsk
I had both cards while I was saving up for a Starwood award, although I had had the HHonors card for years, and got the Starwood card 01/07.
My HHonors application is still pending, so I guess we shall see....
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
Got both the HHonors Amex & SPG Amex in the last week!

Originally Posted by sharklover
Unless things have changed from earlier this year you will not get both cards.
I received notice last night (finally) that I did in fact get approved for the HHonors Amex card (despite having recently opened the SPG Amex last week). Sounds like it may have a low credit limit, but that's ok for now b/c I'm most concerned with getting the (up to) 62,500 sign up bonus. Hopefully they'll let me increase the CL after 3-6 months. I'm just glad to have both cards in my wallet!

Here's what the email said:

Dear Jenepat:

Thank you for applying for another American Express Card. Your application for the Hilton Hhonors Platinum Credit Card from American Express was approved and your new card has been sent to you.

Your card and Welcome Package will arrive within 5 to 7 working days. Any additional cards you requested for this account will be delivered separately.

Included in your Welcome Package is the credit limit on your new card. When we assigned the credit limit on your new card we considered the credit limit on your existing American Express cards. If you would like to adjust the distribution of your credit limits between your cards, please call the number on the back of your card once you have received your card. One of our representatives will be happy to help you. Additionally, the americanexpress.com website includes quick and easy ways to manage your account online.

Sincerely,

American Express Customer Service
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jenepat
I received notice last night (finally) that I did in fact get approved for the HHonors Amex card (despite having recently opened the SPG Amex last week). Sounds like it may have a low credit limit, but that's ok for now b/c I'm most concerned with getting the (up to) 62,500 sign up bonus. Hopefully they'll let me increase the CL after 3-6 months. I'm just glad to have both cards in my wallet!
Congratulations jenepat. I was approved for the HHonors Amex a few months ago, and the card arrived via UPS express mail within one day of approval. I started out with a low CL, but was able to get it increased 3 months later.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Wyndham Gold
Can you get the Surpass card and switch to the no-fee card somewhere down the road? I like the idea of instant Gold status with the Surpass, and I think I can spend enough to keep it (no chance for Diamond), but I'd hate to keep paying the $75 annual fee if I fall short.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 6:20 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jenepat
Are you saying they don't allow you to have a HHonors Amex and an SPG Amex at the same time? This seems contrary to what I've read on FT (unless my info was gathered on obsolete posts).
I have SPG and HHonors AMex along with Amex DL and
the hilton visa, with no issues and have not seen my limits lowered like other have.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by aces
Can you get the Surpass card and switch to the no-fee card somewhere down the road? I like the idea of instant Gold status with the Surpass, and I think I can spend enough to keep it (no chance for Diamond), but I'd hate to keep paying the $75 annual fee if I fall short.
I just switched to Surpass (haven't gotten card yet) and I specifically asked that question. The rep said I absolutely can switch back. I asked him, again, at the end of the call and he confirmed it. So, we shall see in the event I decide to go back.

Since I hadn't gotten my card I called Amex tonight and pressed the *upgrade to Surpass* prompt and someone answered saying that there's a special going on for half price. The number I called was 1-877-203-2266.

Bobette
Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by b1513
The number I called was 1-877-203-2266.
I also called this number; it starts off today by telling callers to stay on the line if they are calling to upgrade their AmEx Delta card. I have a regular HHonors AmEx but stayed on the line anyway. I asked the agent if this was the number to call about upgrading my HHonors card to a Surpass HHonors card and he said, "Sure!". He asked me for a RSVP number from my invitation (I never received one) so said I didn't have it but could he look me up by my account number. No problem and 10 minutes later I have an upgrade to Surpass with Gold membership for a year. I figure it's worth it since we're planning a trip to the Hilton Rome Cavalieri next spring.

Should have my card by December 17 and I retain the same account number.

And yes, you can downgrade back to a regular HHonors card anytime he said.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:54 am

Foreign Currency Stays - Surpass or No Fee Card?

Just curious on what you all use. I know the Surpass is pretty great for HH points, but what about foreign currency stays in other countries? The exchange fee is 2.7%. So is it better to use the surpass card or a zero fee card like Schwab for those stays?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:50 pm

I would look at it this way: Are 9 HHonors points worth 2.7 cents to you? If they are, use the Surpass card. If not, use a card with no foreign transaction fee.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I would add a couple of possibilities as well: Do you need the Surpass spend to make status? Do you value 500 points for using an AMEX card to book as well? Add up the benefits and decide if it is worth the 2.7% higher cost (significantly more in Australia, not that they are charging for using credit cards and if you use cash.)
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:12 pm

Thank you both.

I guess I was looking for what others do. As to the is 9 HH points worth 2.7%, well it's technically more like 4.7% since the Schwab earns 2% cash back. And if HH points are generally worth about .005 each, it seems to be a near break even scenario. Then add in the 500 point bonus you mentioned and I guess I will be using the Surpass!

All of this is kind of a moot point, since I forgot I also earn 2500 points for my first 8 stays (just got the surpass). So I'll definitely use the Surpass
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
It may be possible to avoid the foriegn transaction fee by using the advanced purchase option but, honestly, I've never tried it. I wouldn't even occur to me to even carry a card with a foriegn trasaction fee with me while I'm out of the country. For cash I carry a credit union ATM card with only a $1 fee per withdrawl.

I hate bank fees and avoid them like that plague. I think I've paid $1 in bank/credit card fees in the last 18 months. So no amount of points would be worth 2.7% to me.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Just some $.02: As an Gold cardholder who also has a Surpass, I might use Surpass in another country - but I always take along that Gold card. Amex has a great track record with my household in helping us out in case of problems with the transaction and in insuring a purchased item for 90 days. Usually they extend my Gold privileges to purchases made with my (absurd number of) other Amex cards as well.

I have a Cap One card for day to day purchases - restaurant, gas - but if I'm buying something expensive, fragile or easily stolen overseas, I almost always suck it up and pay the 3%.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Still get the Foreign Xaction Fee on hilton.com advanced purchase

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
It may be possible to avoid the foriegn transaction fee by using the advanced purchase option but, honestly, I've never tried it.
Nope. Bought a 8 night stay @ the Hilton Montreal Bonaventure thru an advanced purchase rate via hilton.com this summer. The $1543 charge on my Surpass AMEX yielded a $41.66 foreign transaction fee as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.