Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
That actually seems very reasonable for breakfast in a big city.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I adore The Wit but it seems like they're sold out on most of the 2011 weekends that I wanted to visit

On the open weekends, looks like there have been some steep increases in price. It's still a fantastic value and we'll still return. Just sad to see those fantastic advance purchase rates no longer happening.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I'm going to check in, and here are my choices...thoughts?

Room 1718
1 KING BED SPA TUB NONSMOK
NO-SMOKING ROOM; RIVER VIEW; KING BED; FLOOR 17;

Room 602
NO-SMOKING ROOM; KING BED; FLOOR 6;

Room 702
NO-SMOKING ROOM; KING BED; FLOOR 7;

Room 918
NO-SMOKING ROOM; RIVER VIEW; KING BED; FLOOR 9;
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I'm going to check in, and here are my choices...thoughts?
All are end spa rooms and the same size. I would go with whichever floor you want to be on. The rooms should be identical in size and all will be end rooms
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, Avis, United
I would go for 1718 if I were you. The others would still be within range to hear the trains quite a bit.

I'm headed to The WIT in early February, I'll post my impressions here afterward.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by askjeffro
I would go for 1718 if I were you. The others would still be within range to hear the trains quite a bit.

I'm headed to The WIT in early February, I'll post my impressions here afterward.
Thanks...we went with 1718...leaving shortly, I'll write a review when I return!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Thanks...we went with 1718...leaving shortly, I'll write a review when I return!
Hope you have fun. I got into Chicago this morning and am staying at the Conrad. First time here, got a $139 rate, GREAT place.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just returned from a one night stay with my wife.
For the most part, I'm really happy with this hotel and will most likely return when it's just the wife and I.
I would describe the style as "W like, but without so much edge".
The Pros
-We had a Spa King, room number 1718. Good sized room with a large bathroom, and a huge comfy tub. Nice view of the river and surrounding buildings.
-Fast efficient check in. Given two complimentary breakfast coupons for their restaurant "State/Lake"...$17/each, not good for room service. Also had a card coupon for a free bottle of "vintage wine" with an entree order at Cibo Matto...didn't try it.
-Nice in room welcome greeting of fun colored suckers (the kids loved them), and other treats, and a few bottles of water.
-Like the technology on the phone where you can request extra pillows, towels,etc. We used it for turn down service when we left. The leave a cute paddle with the Wit on it and a ball and string attached...again, the kids loved it!
-Toiletries as mentioned above are really nice...asked for an extra set with turn down (left a note and a tip) and were given two more full sets.^
-Roof lounge has nice views and really nice ambience.
-State/Lake breakfast was good and very reasonably priced.

Cons
-While the roof lounge is nice, they skew much more towards the "club crowd". We went up for a drink before heading out to dinner on Sat. night...it was ~6pm, and we couldn't get a seat. I asked the hostess about making a reservation for after dinner drinks for 6 of us, and she said they don't take reservations, unless you want to order VIP bottle service...I didn't ask what the cost was, but it was annoying. She said as a hotel guest we could get a bracelet and wait in the lobby if there was no seating...um, no thanks. I get why they do this, and I know it appeals to some, so it wasn't really upsetting.
-The fragrance they use in the lobby is kind of like "cocoa butter"...not my favorite.
-Don't like the bird chirping sound track that plays constantly in the hallways
-The hallway noise was fairly noticeable, and our bed was set back from the door quite a ways. It didn't affect me b/c I'm a heavy sleeper, but if you're a light sleeper, it might be an issue.

All in all, a nice place, and with good rates, I would definitely return.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-Toiletries as mentioned above are really nice...asked for an extra set with turn down (left a note and a tip) and were given two more full sets
I LOVE the bar soap they use. Whenever I stay there I always ask the maidd for a couple extra bars to take home.

I stayed at the Wit this weekend and loved their toiletries as well. The laundry bags there are really nice.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I LOVE the bar soap they use. Whenever I stay there I always ask the maidd for a couple extra bars to take home.

I stayed at the Wit this weekend and loved their toiletries as well. The laundry bags there are really nice.
Laundry bags? As in the plastic ones hanging in the closet?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Laundry bags? As in the plastic ones hanging in the closet?
Yes, but at the conrad these aren't cheap plastic ones. They are nice cloth drawstring ones. I may take it with me to Miami in March to put my things in to take from the hotel to the beach.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:42 am

Brief Trip Report

Just completed a 3 night stay at The Wit. In summary it was overall a pleasant stay with competent staff, good house keeping and nice room.

We stayed in the Junior suite 2504. Its 2 floors below the bar, but beware that you can still hear the music and people quite bit from the bar during the weekend. I can't imagine staying in 2604 as it has to be overly loud.

We were checked in by Rachel who did an excellent job applying MyWay choices and getting us setup. Wife really enjoyed the cookie at the front desk.

We received a bill under our door for Valet parking the last night we were there. That was interesting as we had no car with us. We called and were informed they would the charge off and that their system had been acting wonky.

Breakfast was included at the "State Lake" restaurant on the first floor, with a $20 credit per registered guest credit. More than enough to cover food and tip for the 2 of us. I recommend the French Toast if you go, appropriate portion size and great taste. Some of the other dishes were overly large for us, and we hate wasting food.

Hotel has great location. Would return in the future, but seek a lower level to avoid the noise of the bar. Probably will try some other hotels in the area before returning here however, just to see what else is out there.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
I love this hotel! (I wrote about it in another thread somewhere on this board.) Unfortunately it is showing as unavailable for the weekend I will be in Chicago this spring.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Update: The hotel suddenly showed available this morning on my Kayak search for this spring! I've been looking since November and every time it showed as "unavailable." I quickly made a reservation. As soon as I finalize my plans, I will prepay. The Wit is showing as being cheaper than most of the other Hilton Family and Starwood properties in Chicago. Sounds good to me!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:14 am

You may want to try the HHonor site to search in the future, I've had no issue with availability showing up. I was there is V-day weekend and it was quiet (I thought) so I asked the desk if they were full, she said only about 75% for the weekend.

edit: I just reread your post, and I now see you are saying it has been unavailable the particular weekend you are shooting for. Sorry, I thought you were saying nothing has been available since November. Need some caffeine...

Last edited by askjeffro; Feb 18, 2011 at 9:15 am Reason: oops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.