Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Thanks for the upgrade. . .but is it really?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks for the upgrade. . .but is it really?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
My one night stay at Paddington last week consisted of an upgrade from a standard to an executive room (just like the website photo) and associated lounge benefits. If anything, my room had more space than the one in the photo.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Jun 9, 2009 at 9:42 pm
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Southwest, US Air
There are various levels of upgrades, if you received anything above what you originally booked, then you received an upgrade. Could be one room type above what you originally booked, could be all the way to the top, it all depends on availability and also, how many other Gold, and more importantly, Diamond members that are in house. Hilton properties run reports each morning and each Hilton Honors guest is actually given a value number for the staff based on financial contribution to that guest, you could be a Gold member, but you could be the 30th in line for an upgrade that day, or receive the 30th best upgrade available.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azdude
There are various levels of upgrades, if you received anything above what you originally booked, then you received an upgrade. Could be one room type above what you originally booked, could be all the way to the top, it all depends on availability and also, how many other Gold, and more importantly, Diamond members that are in house. Hilton properties run reports each morning and each Hilton Honors guest is actually given a value number for the staff based on financial contribution to that guest, you could be a Gold member, but you could be the 30th in line for an upgrade that day, or receive the 30th best upgrade available.
Yes, well I think we all understand that there's a pecking order, but my OP was simply pointing out that the upgrades we get appear to be inconsequential. It is disingenuous to differentiate between rooms that are fundamentally the same, and that seems to be what's going on sometimes, based on what I'm reading.

It's no problem at all to say that room A is better than room B because it's painted blue instead of green, if you want to engage in such a charade. As I said, I have no true basis for comparison in any individual hotel, but the rooms we're getting are pretty basic. If "upgrade" means nothing more than robes and a couple bottles of Evian, that's a bit of a stretch.

The only meaningful benefit seems to be the breakfasts, but given what's going on at places like the Cavalieri in Rome, that seems to be going the way of all flesh too, even for Diamond members.

I imagine that just about the time I reach Diamond in a few months, there'll be a new Plutonium level, and I'll be back where I started.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:16 pm

Yes, the room itself could be "fundamentally" the same, but room features like view, bedding type, floor, etc. are "upgraded" features.

Again, take a look at what you actually booked vs. what you received. Did you book the cheapest room available with double beds, a house room? If you did and received a higher category room type regardless of why it is in that higher category, than you received your upgrade.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Yes, the room itself could be "fundamentally" the same, but room features like view, bedding type, floor, etc. are "upgraded" features.

Again, take a look at what you actually booked vs. what you received. Did you book the cheapest room available with double beds, a house room? If you did and received a higher category room type regardless of why it is in that higher category, than you received your upgrade.
I guess I'm simply pointing out that some of us feel there is a difference between what you have a right to do, and what is the right thing to do. Of course Hilton has the right to call a room "upgraded" because the view is different, but in most hotels that's a distinction without much of a difference--certainly not a difference that would scream "upgrade" to most reasonable people. Splitting hairs like this might lead some of us to the conclusion that they're being cynical. Do they have a right to be cynical? Yes. Do we have a right to point that out? Again, yes.

In other words, I'm not arguing with your factual statement, just with your implicit defense of these virtually meaningless improvements. I'm never in the mood to go around inspecting and comparing rooms just to be sure I got an upgrade. But I do know that the subjective meaning of the word "upgrade" is something most people who stay in hotels even occasionally will recognize virtually at once. This subjective reaction isn't infallible, but most of us will know a real upgrade when we see it.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: HH Silver, IHG Platinum, National Ex Elite, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by PVDtoGO
I stay at the Back Bay Hilton frequently. I always reserve the specific room level I like, a 'superior view king", as I like the stand-alone double shower with no tub, and the wrap around windows. It is worth the few dollars extra to not get a basic room. I am going on 12 visits in the last year and the desk clerk always mentions having upgraded me.

I just smile and say thank you..........
Do you have upgrade listed as your VIP benefit? If you know you are already getting exactly the room you booked, are you actually interested in getting an upgrade from that? If so, why let them get away with passing that off as an upgrade? If not, why not take HH points as your benefit since you are happy to pay for room you want?

I always take the points. I used to go for upgrades but over time found that the upgrades were really insignificant. Never, ever a suite or anything great like that. That being said, when checking in I will often get the "I see you are Diamond, we upgraded you" and I ask "will I still get my 1,000 Pt's". That makes them look and say oh yes, you are listed as getting points. The room turns out to be the normal, consistently good Hilton room, confirming my opinion that the upgrade line is exactly that.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Iluvsafeflights
...I always take the points. I used to go for upgrades but over time found that the upgrades were really insignificant. Never, ever a suite or anything great like that...
I used to hope for available upgrades at check-in all the time but mostly just got a standard room +bathrobes and slippers. I will never waste my HHonors points for bathrobes and slippers again. Now, I stick with the +1,000 points unless the hotel has an Executive Floor, an Executive Lounge and I'm convinced that the hotel complies with the upgrade rules.

Last edited by servus; Jun 13, 2009 at 10:36 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by servus
I used to hope for available upgrades at check-in all the time but mostly just got a standard room +bathrobes and slippers. I will never waste my HHonors points for bathrobes and slippers again. Now, I stick with the +1,000 points unless the hotel has an Executive Floor, an Executive Lounge and I'm convinced that the hotel complies the upgrade rules.
I would always go with the 1,000 pts with you're My Way since you can be guaranteed you will relieve them. If you're Gold or Diamond you should receive an upgrade regardless of your My Way selections but upgrades are always based on availability and not always guaranteed.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If you look on the website when booking, there are a huge range of rooms types.

Standard, Deluxe (Queen and King), Deluxe Plus (again Queen and King), Executive, Junior Suite, King Suite.

An upgrade from say, Deluxe to Deluxe Plus normally requires the skills of Sherlock Holmes to detect.

At least for diamonds, we still get lounge access or breakfast as well as the upgrade.

It used to annoy me hugely (and drive me to use Marriotts more) when the front desk could claim an upgrade to a Deluxe Plus room with bathrobe and slippers was my entitlement for being a Plat.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: DL - Platinum, DL RW, UAL - Premier, Marriott Plat Elite, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat, Nat Car Exe Elite
Major upgrade in Belgium

I was at the Brussels Marriott two weeks ago and the hotel was sold out. As a Platinum, I asked if they had upgraded me to a nice room and the desk clerk called for his manager (didn't speak much English) and the manager said "he's a Platinum, put him in here" and pointed to the screen.

I get to the room, and it is so big it takes minutes to find the bedroom, there are balconies and windows all around the roon (at least 6) and two bathrooms. One of the bathrooms was bigger then my hotel room at the Ren in AMS!

I can tell you one thing, I'm certain I got an upgrade there....and all for a rate of 89 Euros per night. Nice!^
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
I see your point, but why not just ask at the desk like "and what does the upgrade mean exactly?"
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
I've always done well with HI/CP for upgrades just by asking but recently I booked a King Suite and they tried to upgrade me to a double Queen Suite ? Mostly pleased with HI/CP on upgrades and get best views, jacuzzi, or deluxe suites 80% of the time
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: HH diamond
I would always go with the 1,000 pts with you're My Way since you can be guaranteed you will relieve them. If you're Gold or Diamond you should receive an upgrade regardless of your My Way selections but upgrades are always based on availability and not always guaranteed.
Actually upgrades ARE part of MyWay. If you don't select it as your option, you should NOT expect an upgrade. Upgrades are NOT part of the routine benefits and need to be selected if you want to increase the chances of getting one.

I stopped selecting the upgrade option in the USA because I've never gotten anything that seemed any different the standard, aside from bathrobe. Even the EL is usually not worth it (PM snacks usually below bar standards and drinks rarely included complimentary alcohol) and breakfast, sad continental whether in EL or restaurant.
To tell you the truth, I prefer Homewood or HGI in the USA. No upgrades needed. Rooms are routinely large and a decent hot breakfast is offered.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thegoderic
If you look on the website when booking, there are a huge range of rooms types.

Standard, Deluxe (Queen and King), Deluxe Plus (again Queen and King), Executive, Junior Suite, King Suite.

An upgrade from say, Deluxe to Deluxe Plus normally requires the skills of Sherlock Holmes to detect.

At least for diamonds, we still get lounge access or breakfast as well as the upgrade.

It used to annoy me hugely (and drive me to use Marriotts more) when the front desk could claim an upgrade to a Deluxe Plus room with bathrobe and slippers was my entitlement for being a Plat.
I agree there are so many room types the staff does not normally know what the difference is any more. Sad but true.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Worst upgrade ever: Conrad Chicago, no view to city view (actually it is partial city view, as half of the view was blocked by the next door marriott, I would rather they give an upgrade from cont. breakfast to hot breakfast)

Best upgrade ever: Conrad Hong Kong, booked mountain view regular room, got double upgraded to habor view plus exec. floor

Hilton: If I can get for lounge access, I would be happy, but since many lounges in hilton had closed, I guess not much left, but I did get upgraded to suites most of the time in Hilton YVR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.