Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

El Conquistador, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {PRI} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

El Conquistador, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {PRI} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: HH, AA
Current stay 6/13

We are here for a week right now. Property is pretty much as described. Except dirtier than I ever expected. We are here on a diamond rewards stay, 2 rooms.

First night was horrible! Got in late to a room full of soggy carpet and nasty black mold on the ceiling in both rooms. The white couch in our room had not been scrubbed since it was purchased and was grungy. Like, college dorm at the end of the semester grungy. Our headboard had greasy head prints and then growth from a spill down the back of the wall. Staff was very attentive, I think we had 4 different groups through the room in 20 mins after we called. No one really got that the mold was a major issue (leak in ceiling, it was soggy also) though. They promised to move us in the morning but not right then. Which was ok, my son and mom were already asleep in the next room over. Probably dumb on our part not to insist though because we woke up with sore throats from the mold.

Next morning a manager came and checked the room and 'got' what a problem the mold was. Pretty sure sheet rock will have to be torn out. We were moved to the Governors Suite which is massive. 3 rooms, 3 bathrooms, 3 balconies. Again, needing a deep cleaning though. Everything is surface cleaned daily but NEVER deep cleaned. It sucks to scrub grout lines but you still have to do it! Odd empty spaces but over all nice.

We are getting comped breakfast at the Las B restaurant. Lots of food, mostly fresh. Good and solid, but not to die for. Service is efficient but not fawning or even consistent from day to day. The first few mornings they asked what juice we wanted, this morning the server told us they didn't serve juice and we needed to get it from the bar. Slip shows it would have been $100 if we had to pay which is insane. It's similar to a Embassy Suites.

We self park, pretty much always do any where we can. First day we leave and they ask our room number and write it on the ticket. Second day the guy says front desk has to validate it. There is a convention at the hotel and we were parked about as far as you can get away. We negotiate a bit and he refuses to open the gate and says nope, you gotta go back up the hill. Finally we give and and DH runs back up the hill and goes to 3 different desks to find someone that can sign the stupid slip. It takes about ten mins. The when we get back to the gate the grumpy butt doesn't even get off his stool and the gate opens just by scanning the ticket. Just then an email pops up from the VIP Manager asking how the stay was going. We bragged on what we could, said thanks for her attention and sandwiched in dealing with the gate guard.

Posting this and will start a second reply, I'm writing a book and afraid I will lose this!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Had a recent stay. As a diamond I received an upgrade to a full ocean and pool view room, two welcome drink coupons, two bottles of water, 20% off spa treatments, and breakfast buffet for two at the Las Brisas Restaurant (includes omelet/egg station). The welcome letter states that the breakfast benefit for diamonds is for two persons per room for up to two rooms booked by the diamond member. The breakfast buffet is charged to your room and then credited back before check out. Due to a promotion currently going on with Puerto Rican rum distillers I also received two additional mixed drink coupons.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by momo2000
Staying here Christmas eve to New Year's Eve. Diamond status. Will have a car. 2 adults 2 children (18 & 16). Hope to scuba one time. If anyone has any "latest & greatest" tips, it would be appreciated.

We are doing this timeframe this year. Would love to hear info about this property. Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ted King
We are doing this timeframe this year. Would love to hear info about this property. Thanks.
Bump
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
By the way, the Conquistador is an Amex Platinum Fine Hotel property. This gives you the full breakfast buffet for two and a room upgrade if available.

I'm HHONORS Gold, but when I stayed at the Conquistador I booked through my Amex Plat Concierge. The staff was over the top friendly when I checked in, I got a room upgrade, breakfast and some complimentary bar coupons.

Amex surveys all Platinum card holders after their stay and hotels lose their Fine Hotel status if they get bad reviews, so I've always found hotels to be very kind on these bookings.
Just tried to book a stay here via AMEX and it looks like they are no longer a Fine Hotel, perhaps because of the bad reviews. They are however, still a Visa Signature Fine Hotel.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Any reviews from 2014?

Last edited by chix; Mar 19, 2014 at 5:12 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: WN, Marriott
Just got back from a 5 day trip to Puerto Rico. Stayed 3 nights at the El Conquistador. I can't say enough about the wonderful views at the hotel...they are incredible. The staff is extremely nice. They have a number of pools, probably 5. The private beach is great...only 20 min ferry ride and what a cool island. The food, for the most part, is ok. The up-scale restaurant by the marina was very good.
The actual hotel is a little worn. Rooms could use a makeover and some of the grounds seemed ignored. The pools were a little dirty, this is probably my biggest complaint. If you can set your expectations appropriately, I would highly recommend it. We were upgraded to an Ocean View room...wow! The views make it worth the trip.

There are a number of good restaurants not far outside the gates of the resort. Heard great things about El Estacion, we went to DiYukas (about 5 min away) and it was great. Also, the place you go for excursions is literally a 5 minute walk from the marina.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Not off to a good start...I'm checking in tomorrow for a 3 night stay, and everyone I've spoken with on the phone has been rude. They rush you off the line and answer questions that require detail with a "yes" or "no" instead of giving additional information. I signed up with the concierge for the airport transportation a couple weeks ago. I called back today to confirm, because I never received a confirmation. Good thing I called, because the person I spoke with never actually signed us up and had no record of registering that we needed the ride (and at $74.00/person, it's not cheap either). The concierge I spoke with today ensured me we are set and would send a confirmation e-mail in 10 minutes... it's been 2 hours, and I still haven't received an e-mail. I'll report back after the stay.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Michael19887
Not off to a good start...I'm checking in tomorrow for a 3 night stay, and everyone I've spoken with on the phone has been rude. They rush you off the line and answer questions that require detail with a "yes" or "no" instead of giving additional information. I signed up with the concierge for the airport transportation a couple weeks ago. I called back today to confirm, because I never received a confirmation. Good thing I called, because the person I spoke with never actually signed us up and had no record of registering that we needed the ride (and at $74.00/person, it's not cheap either). The concierge I spoke with today ensured me we are set and would send a confirmation e-mail in 10 minutes... it's been 2 hours, and I still haven't received an e-mail. I'll report back after the stay.
I am checking in tomorrow as well for a wedding. I ended up renting a car though.

I booked a premium award for ocean view room with balcony (51k pts / night vs the 50k for regular garden view). I see when I login and look at my reservation it now says I will be in the Marina.

LA MARINA OCEAN VIEW ROOM

The hotel confirmed via Twitter that breakfast is still comp'ed for diamonds.
Old May 24, 2014, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by r.brown
I am checking in tomorrow as well for a wedding. I ended up renting a car though.

I booked a premium award for ocean view room with balcony (51k pts / night vs the 50k for regular garden view). I see when I login and look at my reservation it now says I will be in the Marina.

LA MARINA OCEAN VIEW ROOM

The hotel confirmed via Twitter that breakfast is still comp'ed for diamonds.
Nice to see about the breakfast! I booked the exact same redemption. I thought it was a good value, especially considering the high resort fee. My room was not upgraded though.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:19 am

Nice to see about the breakfast! I booked the exact same redemption. I thought it was a good value, especially considering the high resort fee. My room was not upgraded though.
I guess I will see when I check in if I am truly upgraded. My flights were canceled this morning so I don't land till later this afternoon now. I ended up calling the hotel and booking the shuttle for a one-way trip and my friends that are landing on-time are taking the rental car.
Old May 24, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by r.brown
I guess I will see when I check in if I am truly upgraded. My flights were canceled this morning so I don't land till later this afternoon now. I ended up calling the hotel and booking the shuttle for a one-way trip and my friends that are landing on-time are taking the rental car.
I did end up getting an upgrade to Las Brisas with the view of Palomino Island. If you aren't here yet, I recommend asking for this wing. The view is spectacular. Also, full free breakfast for diamonds as you mentioned, 2 welcome cocktails, 2 bottles of water, and 20% off the spa. I love when properties go above and beyond for diamonds and so far, this one is certainly one of them.
Old May 25, 2014, 7:03 am

I did end up getting an upgrade to Las Brisas with the view of Palomino Island. If you aren't here yet, I recommend asking for this wing. The view is spectacular. Also, full free breakfast for diamonds as you mentioned, 2 welcome cocktails, 2 bottles of water, and 20% off the spa. I love when properties go above and beyond for diamonds and so far, this one is certainly one of them.
Yes, it certainly is nice when they do that. I ended up sticking with the Marina since some of my friends are down here.

It appears that any of us that were either Diamond status, or booked with the MVP rate or Blackstone rate (even for booking the cheapest garden room available) were upgraded to the Marina. Everyone else in the main building.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:21 pm

El Conquistador or Las Casitas???

I am new to this and unsure whether I was to post a new topic or begin here.
My husband and are booked on points for las casitas next week. I am hoping for ocean front as upgrade for diamond status. I have read reviews from everywhere I can find and am torn between sticking with the plan or using way less points and booking el con and requesting las brisas. I get that las casitas is a bit out of the way but wondering if it truly is nicer or not. We realize the hotel is kid friendly but we do not have any and prefer to avoid the noise if possible. I am wondering if las casitas would actually be MORE families since they are essentially condos, or if it truly is the "quiet side".
Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sarrinac
El Conquistador or Las Casitas???

I am new to this and unsure whether I was to post a new topic or begin here.
My husband and are booked on points for las casitas next week. I am hoping for ocean front as upgrade for diamond status. I have read reviews from everywhere I can find and am torn between sticking with the plan or using way less points and booking el con and requesting las brisas. I get that las casitas is a bit out of the way but wondering if it truly is nicer or not. We realize the hotel is kid friendly but we do not have any and prefer to avoid the noise if possible. I am wondering if las casitas would actually be MORE families since they are essentially condos, or if it truly is the "quiet side".
Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Las Casitas looked nice on the outside, but it is a haul from everything. I really only ventured in that area once for the spa. I booked the full ocean view redemption for 51,500/nt at El Con and was upgraded to Las Brisas at check-in. I hadn't given too much thought to the wing. They were certainly telling the truth at check-in when they said these are the best rooms. The view is beyond beautiful, and I was so glad we ended up there. Specifically, I would recommend floor 4 or 5, Palomino Island/resort view side of the building, and at least a few rooms away from the Funicular (middle of wing if possible) so you can't hear it through the glass. This was where they assigned me and it was perfect, sorry I can't remember the room number. Also there were kids everywhere. Not sure there is anyway around this regardless of where on property you stay.

Last edited by Michael19887; Jul 8, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.