Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Non-Refundable Advance Reservations and Room Rates: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Refundable Advance Reservations and Room Rates: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:31 am

Work Around

Originally Posted by MaHa
Considering the chat agent with Hilton told me to reserve the rooms all under my account number so I can get the Honor's discount rate, I don't think I would have had my account terminated. I think these fraud situations are already prevented by having these earning rules put in place. After doing some reading, I have a better understanding why these rules are in place (prevent fraud through stacking points on a single membership etc.). I was just under the (incorrect) assumption that I would earn points on all the rooms since I paid for everyone's rooms. Probably in these cases, I will use 3rd party websites so I can earn points on other platforms should this situation arise again.

Regardless thank you and everyone for their help. I am brand new to earning points for hotel programs, so this was a good experience in getting to understand all the rules involved.

You could also book to rooms in your name, create Honors account for others in your party, book two rooms in each of their names, and then have them transfer all of the points to you, or set a points pooling arrangement, which you can do with up to nine others. Just remember: if you use points pooling the others in the pool will have the ability to spend any of the pooled points.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by jbeckett
But it is "well-known" here that you can't earn credit for two different hotels on the same night - you can only be one place at a time.
You certainly can earn credit at two different properties on the same night if you have an HH Mutual Fund Account.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by smmrfld

You certainly can earn credit at two different properties on the same night if you have an HH Mutual Fund Account.
Sure - but they've not allowed any of those accounts to be pened in well over 10 years.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Any recent data points on how quickly your card will be charged once you book advanced non-refundable/prepay?

Booked Hilton Helsinki Strand and my credit card is still not showing up, not even pending nor available credit decrease.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vincewy
Any recent data points on how quickly your card will be charged once you book advanced non-refundable/prepay?

Booked Hilton Helsinki Strand and my credit card is still not showing up, not even pending nor available credit decrease.
For bookings outside of the U.S., it is up to the individual hotel. Some hotels do not charge the card until you check in. I suggest you post this question in the thread for the hotel that you have the reservation for.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:21 am

When is the advanced purchase of a room charged to your credit card? Details that lead me to ask this are below....

Back in March I made a reservation for Hilton Bali Resort, starting on May 25th. My card was charged May 23rd.

From what I have found myself, it seems like I should have been charged immediately when I booked the room in March. Looking through my old statements, I do not think I was charged then.

This wouldn't be a big deal, but it did trigger a fraud alert so I am a bit concerned. Also, before checking in, I received an email from the resort manager stating, "If by any chance the card unable to present, others payment method will be required and the total amount that we have charged to the previous credit card will be refunded." So I ended up paying with a different card at check in and expected the original card to be refunded, which hasn't happened yet.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:46 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Thomas Everett
When is the advanced purchase of a room charged to your credit card? Details that lead me to ask this are below....

Back in March I made a reservation for Hilton Bali Resort, starting on May 25th. My card was charged May 23rd.

From what I have found myself, it seems like I should have been charged immediately when I booked the room in March. Looking through my old statements, I do not think I was charged then.

This wouldn't be a big deal, but it did trigger a fraud alert so I am a bit concerned. Also, before checking in, I received an email from the resort manager stating, "If by any chance the card unable to present, others payment method will be required and the total amount that we have charged to the previous credit card will be refunded." So I ended up paying with a different card at check in and expected the original card to be refunded, which hasn't happened yet.
The answer is in the post just before yours.

What did the staff say when you checked in about refunding to the other card?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
The answer is in the post just before yours.

What did the staff say when you checked in about refunding to the other card?
Lol. Thanks! I should have read the previous post.

The staff said it would be refunded. And 3 days ago there was a pending refund on the card, but now there is nothing indicating that a refund was pending at any point.... wish I had a receipt. Anyway, I emailed the manager and am confident it will be set straight. If all else fails I will dispute the charge in a couple of days
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Cancelling non-refundable reservations due to family emergencies?

I just encountered a family emergency, and I have to cancel four non-refundable reservations for Hilton properties in Europe. I am wondering if there is a slight chance that Hilton will allow me to get out of these reservations? Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I just encountered a family emergency, and I have to cancel four non-refundable reservations for Hilton properties in Europe. I am wondering if there is a slight chance that Hilton will allow me to get out of these reservations? Thanks!
Your best chance is to contact each individual property and ask.

Ideally, if you’re going to visit in the next year, ask by requesting credit from your must cancel current stay toward your coming stay. Otherwise, just explain and tell them you’ll be happy to substantiate the emergency circumstances that caused you to cancel. (Chances are they won’t bother, but the offer may help them grant you an exception. Virtually everyone asking for an exception will claim an emergency, whether it is or not. They’re tired of being scammed.)

Whether it was a rate that was never refundable or one that was refundable up to a week / 72 / 48 hours out may well make a difference as well. If you purchased a non-refundable rate, your chances of getting a refund are pretty close to zero. Credit toward a future stay, maybe, but don’t expect it.

But don’t expect a “yes”. I’ve been granted my request, I’ve been denied. And I’ve been strung along by a manager who ultimately displayed his intent to cut me no slack after messing with me for weeks. I’ve stayed nearby in several different properties since, and a few times emailed the manager (no longer there now) why I was staying in another Hilton property.
Abidjan, Often1, arlflyer and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:10 pm

Is it an emergency that is covered by travel insurance? Perhaps your credit card that you used to pay may cover it under their travel insurance.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Your best chance is to contact each individual property and ask.

Ideally, if you’re going to visit in the next year, ask by requesting credit from your must cancel current stay toward your coming stay. Otherwise, just explain and tell them you’ll be happy to substantiate the emergency circumstances that caused you to cancel. (Chances are they won’t bother, but the offer may help them grant you an exception. Virtually everyone asking for an exception will claim an emergency, whether it is or not. They’re tired of being scammed.)

Whether it was a rate that was never refundable or one that was refundable up to a week / 72 / 48 hours out may well make a difference as well. If you purchased a non-refundable rate, your chances of getting a refund are pretty close to zero. Credit toward a future stay, maybe, but don’t expect it.

But don’t expect a “yes”. I’ve been granted my request, I’ve been denied. And I’ve been strung along by a manager who ultimately displayed his intent to cut me no slack after messing with me for weeks. I’ve stayed nearby in several different properties since, and a few times emailed the manager (no longer there now) why I was staying in another Hilton property.
Exactly, don’t expect a “yes”. .
I had similar experience. I Emailed the hotel. Once a property in UK refunded me.
Once I asked to a property in Turkey if possible to move the reservation to a date in the future; they accepted and moved the same reservation number to a date three months later.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yet another thread where "travel insurance" is the correct answer, yet somehow there is an expectation that non-refundable isn't actually non-refundable if you have a good enough excuse.
:D! likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My experience with the non-refundable rates is that it I used to be able to allocate it to another stay but in the last 18 months or so, I have had zero luck with that.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The starting point is travel insurance. That will simply provide a cash payment and you are done. It may require documentation, but that should be simple/

Getting a policy exception is a purely local decision. Best to catch a manager during the business day in Europe and ask for her indulgence. As others note, in order of likelihood, it will be moving the stay to another date now, having a credit one may use in the relatively near future, and issuing a refund.

Don't expect a "yes" to this ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.