Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Maidstone {GBR} — NO LONGER A HILTON Property as of January 1, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Maidstone {GBR} — NO LONGER A HILTON Property as of January 1, 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Maidstone {GBR} — NO LONGER A HILTON Property as of January 1, 2022

We found ourselves with tickets to London last month unexpectedly and needed someplace to stay. Instead of spending the whole trip in London we thought we'd take a couple of nights out in an area we hadn't been before. We chose Maidstone as our base since it is only 20,000 points per night and we were pleasantly surprised. It is near a motorway but they also run a conference center so it is a cross between the two types of properties. The rooms were large and included robes and slippers. The fitness center was included at no charge. Nice large pool, steam room, spa, and hot tub. No children allowed in the pool area after 7:30 pm or so. They have the standard Europe Hilton breakfast which is so much nicer than most US offerings. As HHonors Gold we received an upgraded room and free breakfast.

Now, the property is not city center and city center isn't extensive. We used the hotel as a base to go to Dover and if it had been nicer would have also gone to Leeds castle. There were a numbers of possible destinations and activities in the near vicinity. If you are renting a car, it would be a good choice for the points. Otherwise you have a 25 minute stroll to the train station or downtown. Taxi was 7 GBP from the train station. We went directly from Heathrow to Victoria station and caught the train to East Maidstone. It was a pleasant spot to recover from jet lag. There is a pub about a block up the hill at the roundabout. The food was decent but the service was slow.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:33 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I was just at this property a couple of nights ago.

I highly recommend it.

I intend to post details, but please remind me if I neglect to do so...
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Not great

Things have obviously changed for the worse since 2008

Took ages to check in and then allocated a room exactly opposite of my profile. Spent so long waiting to check in that couldn't be bothered to try again

Very noisy hotel and generally staff poor. Only bright spot was the breakfast
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:20 am
Suspended

There is no air-conditioning for the rooms at this hotel and windows don't open much.

Alright it's not quite summer now, but I wouldn't want to be stuck in there during the warmer months.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Seems a little strange as nobody has reported on this hotel for a few years, I'm in the area on business next Wednesday so may stay over or do a day rate stay........if anyone wants me to find anything out whilst I'm here please post below in advance.......will report back on Wednesday.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
Seems a little strange as nobody has reported on this hotel for a few years
I did stay here last year prior to an early morning Eurotunnel crossing. The car parking used to be free, now you have to pay for it due to the heath club apparently, although it is only £2, it is a bit rubbish as it is a out of town location. For my stay it was in Spring and that night had a cold snap, but they had turned off the boilers so there was no heating... But for me it was cheaper than a B&B so did the job.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Thumbs up

This is my local Hilton...I could actually walk to it from my abode, so I've only had one stay there!
However, It's a decent enough property and the rooms are very generous in size.
So, it's a decent bet for a stopover or cheap redemption.
Location wise, it's extremely close to the M20 (Junction 7). There's a pub (The Chiltern Hundreds) just a short walk up the street, who do pretty decent food (If you sign up to their mailing list, they will send you some decent discount coupons).
There's also a Next store adjacent to it, if you're in for a shop.
Now, you *could* walk into the town, but it'll probably take you half an hour....I'd opt to drive or get a cab.

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to give a local's advice!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
I did stay here last year prior to an early morning Eurotunnel crossing. The car parking used to be free, now you have to pay for it due to the heath club apparently, although it is only £2, it is a bit rubbish as it is a out of town location. For my stay it was in Spring and that night had a cold snap, but they had turned off the boilers so there was no heating... But for me it was cheaper than a B&B so did the job.
Ok, it always seems cheap here but obviously not that popular with the guys on here......I'm just curious really so will probably do a day stay , hope they have the heating on in December!

I was supposed to be here today but have moved booking until tomorrow now.... strangely all rooms for day stays are same price so booked king deluxe room .....should arrive around 8am....will report back!

I was supposed to be here today but have moved booking until tomorrow now.... strangely all rooms for day stays are same price so booked king deluxe room .....should arrive around 8am....will report back!
Arrived just after 8am, car park busy but it's big with plenty of spaces, check in was swift but room booked was not ready so in a two queen bed deluxe rather than a king deluxe....... I'm not fussed, I'm not here to sleep .
Just had breakfast, now finishing with a cuppachino in the lobby.

ROOM - it's very large, two queen size beds overlooking a nice courtyard on the ground floor.....bathroom fairly small but bath looks big...... room slightly tired and carpet a little worn but acceptable, two robes , safe and water in room.....I was also given a drink voucher at check in too.
Hotel is typically Hilton., think Hilton Northampton and Hilton Leicester.....almost identical layout and feel.

BREAKFAST- some confusion here , I checked in , went to room to freshen up then went to breakfast...... waitress insisted I was not on the list even after I explained that I had just checked in, she tried to charge me £16-50 to which I gently reminded her that breakfast is complimentary for diamond members....... she was unsure but then the manager intervened and I'm shown to a table.
Nice spread, again typically Hilton, plates hot, food tasty...... self service tea and coffee, nice cuppachino!...... breakfast 7-10am. 11am at weekends.

So as I say I'm now sitting in lobby, there is an alternative coffee bar called cafe cino, a gift shop and a business centre.....the bar is behind with an outside terrace, looks nice .
Today I have to pop into Maidstone for a meeting, this shouldn't take long and I hope to be back to use gym and spa......will report back!

Originally Posted by MoodyB
This is my local Hilton...I could actually walk to it from my abode, so I've only had one stay there!
However, It's a decent enough property and the rooms are very generous in size.
So, it's a decent bet for a stopover or cheap redemption.
Location wise, it's extremely close to the M20 (Junction 7). There's a pub (The Chiltern Hundreds) just a short walk up the street, who do pretty decent food (If you sign up to their mailing list, they will send you some decent discount coupons).
There's also a Next store adjacent to it, if you're in for a shop.
Now, you *could* walk into the town, but it'll probably take you half an hour....I'd opt to drive or get a cab.

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to give a local's advice!
Thanks....I'm now back from my meeting, I may use that pub for food after a visit to the gym and spa.

I didn't bother with the gym as I'm at the tail end of a nasty cold however it did look impressive, spotlessly clean and a decent size.

SPA - Pool area again was clean and tidy, sauna has been refurbished and like new, steam room slightly to cold.....pool is fairly large and somewhat cold ( I like that but some don't ) , few sun loungers scattered around, staff friendly, towels provided, lockers are combination code type......changing rooms looked new and very clean.

I checked out at 3-30pm,, free parking for diamonds but card needs validation.......hotel is literally minutes from the M20 , very easy access.

CONCLUSION- yes I liked it, very Hilton and yes a little tired in places but nothing bad,.....obviously I can't comment on the beds as I didn't sleep which I guess is the main event in a hotel. I did sit on the corner to put my shoes on and it seemed soft.
I would definitely return and recommend.

ROOM NO - 152

NEXT PLANNED STAY - Doubletree Cambridge belfry ( 11/12/18 )

Attached Images      
MoodyB likes this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 7, 2018 at 4:41 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:26 am

I’m here tomorrow night, visiting family in nearby sittingbourne., booked two rooms both queen guest rooms .
No upgrade yet but it’s still early..... should arrive around 4pm .......will do the usual reporting...you know me! ��
chrism20, :D! and MoodyB like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Maybe we should crowdsource wizla to stay in all the Hilton properties worldwide?
wizla likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Oh I forgot to report, stayed here recently and nevermore.
Bad hotel, tired rooms, bad smell, no AC, poor service, vad breakfast. Poor value.
Not recommended.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Maybe we should crowdsource @wizla to stay in all the Hilton properties worldwide?
Haha, am on a mission to do every uk Hilton, think I’ve got about 6 or 7 more to get to, I’ve been in every executive lounge except Hilton Edinburgh Carlton and the new Hilton Aberdeen teca....... worldwide would take a lifetime.

Originally Posted by FFlash
Oh I forgot to report, stayed here recently and nevermore.
Bad hotel, tired rooms, bad smell, no AC, poor service, vad breakfast. Poor value.
Not recommended.
Oh really, that’s not good...... I stayed myself last December and quite liked it, nothing great but nothing bad too.
I’ve paid £55 in the current Hilton sale so on value I’ve won already, but yes will bear your comments in mind and report back tomorrow.

One room pre upgraded to king deluxe, the other still queen guest room.

Arrived here 6pm, traffic bad, both rooms upgraded to a king deluxe late last night so done OLCI to two rooms next to each other on the ground floor at the back of hotel.
Swift check in , room cards ready on arrival, no drink chits or amenities.

ROOM - king Hilton deluxe- room is vey big, super king bed, two desks , two seats and table.
Does smell slightly musty and a little tied but it’s very clean.
Bathroom is a fair size , shower over bath , looks like it’s new?........again spotless.

I’m off for a sauna and swim....... will load some photos and of room and report back!

Didn’t use gym but will do in morning, spa area here is quite nice , it’s certainly clean and tidy, nothing amazing like Hilton T5 or Hilton ageas bowl but very good indeed.
When I arrived there was some water aerobics going on along with some children’s swim lessons yet it was strangely not noisy.
Sauna is fairly new and a good size, didn’t try the steam room, jacuzzi was busy so didn’t indulge.
The pool is fairly cool but I like that, some may not......managed a good few lengths.

Now in bar, we ( my mother and I ) decided to eat in the bar , we was going to try the pub up the road but the weather is rubbish, I had the dirty burger and she had fish and chips.
We both agreed that both dishes was very good, again not gourmet but reasonably priced and tasty.
The bar is not very busy at all, in fact the whole hotel seems quiet, a few business folk dotted about here in the bar but it’s certainly quiet.
I don’t usually have desert but I fancy the chocolate brownie on the bar menu.......will report back!

Had the brownie, it was nice , not amazing but it was good, my mother had the strawberry ice cream, she claims this was one of the best she’s had ( locally sourced and called Jude’s) .
Now going to retire, bar is now calling last orders , it’s just gone 11pm so obviously it closes early during the week.......just alone in my thoughts and thinking a Hampton has a 24hour bar yet a full service Hilton closes its bar overnight........ bazaar.
Will report back!

Slept well , bed comfy but very firm.....apparently they had all the beds replaced a couple of weeks ago.
Popped to restaurant to grab a coffee, explained I wasn’t ready for breakfast yet and can I grab a cappuccino “ no problem sir “ was the answer.
This morning I plan to use the gym, I can see this from my window, looks good........after I will sauna and swim before breakfast........... will report back!
gav0106 and MoodyB like this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 29, 2019 at 2:50 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Now in bar, we ( my mother and I ) decided to eat in the bar , we was going to try the pub up the road but the weather is rubbish!

Shame you didn't make it up the road, I was in there having a cheeky beer last night... ;-)
wizla likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by MoodyB
Shame you didn't make it up the road, I was in there having a cheeky beer last night... ;-)
Shame!...... I took my mother back to her room around 10pm after dinner and returned to bar for a nightcap, if I would have known you were there I would have made the effort to pop up and have a beer with you.....if I’m here again we should arrange something.

Gym here is very good, not huge but large for a hotel standard gym and plenty of equipment, they also have a couple of watt bikes.

Poolside was pleasantly quiet, I spent a good hour enjoying the facilities....... steam room not particularly hot but the sauna is definitely up to standard!

BREAKFAST - most bazaar thing happened....... every thing was hot and tasty served on hot plates, however the default egg station is fried eggs ( it’s usually scrambled) ....... you have to ask the egg chef for scrambled or poached, she then disappears into the kitchen and makes them , problem is if you want poached eggs you need to ask a more senior chef for these and the scrambled egg chef apparently isn’t highly trained enough, she told me this herself.........strange?...... never mind, eggs arrived hot after my toast was cold......stupid system.
Selection was good and they have the chocolate bread that I managed to resist.

NOTE - there is a next store opposite which is worth a look if time permits, cut through gym, it’s quicker ........will report back!

Checked out at 11-45am, parking is £5 and this can be put on the room rather than faffing around with the parking machine........ yep, swift and I’m on my way.

CONCLUSION - I’ve got to be honest I enjoyed it, i went in with an open mind .....there was a couple of bazaar situations such as the egg chef ( s ) and the guy in the gym jogging with goggles on.
I paid £110 for two rooms that both got upgraded the night before to the top tier rooms, newspapers delivered, breakfast tasty and hot, beds new ( FD confirmed this at check out ) ....... food was good in lounge bar last night even if service was patchy.......the spa is good and trust me I’ve been to many...... will happily return and recommend.

ROOM NO - 176 and 178 ( I was in 178 )

TIP - the rooms I chose was very quiet, I didn’t hear a thing and I’m a light sleeper.

NEXT PLANNED STAY - Hilton Kensington ( 7-12-19 )
chrism20 and MoodyB like this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 29, 2019 at 2:51 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:38 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Usual UK Hilton hotel, OK location

Hilton Maidstone Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hilton Maidstone Hotel

Bearsted Road Maidstone, GB ME14 5AA

Usual UK Hilton hotel, OK location (21 Photos)

Hilton Maidstone Hotel

This seems to be one of the only Hilton besides that in Brighton in the Kent county area.  Spent the weekend here while visting the UK for the weekend.  Hotel in general is ok, and looks like they did (or still busy?) with a light refurbishment - what looks quite new to me was the new carpets of the hallways and some light touches in the room.

lobby6.jpgoutdoor2.jpg

Hotel is located just off the M20, with a big Next store (and a Costa) opposite the hotel, and there is a what seemed to be quite a popular pub about 5-10 mins walk away from the hotel.  (a shorter way is to use the slightly hidden footpath access directly opposite the hotel lobby main entrance - it is shielded by a wooden board).  

I did see that if you want to have some good excersize, there is a footpath leading to Maidstone town centre, approx 1.5 miles away or about 5 mins drive away by car.  [Had wanted to explore the town centre, but since I had no change for the car park which the city charges 7 days a week from 8am onwards - even on a Sunday - I did not explore the town centre]

The hotel does have a parking charge of 5GBP per day, but I guess during the weekends it is not charged (which is much appreciated) - not sure of the policy.  Although without a car, I would say this property would not be that accessible and quite incovenient.

Check In

Arrived after 8 pm at the hotel and although there seemed to be a function going on, the lobby area was not too packed.  There was initially no one at the front desk but just about a couple of seconds, an associate approached from the back office.  

I already noticed in the Hilton app that I was upgraded to a King deluxe, which I was hoping for a further upgrade to the suite (since it was still available and being sold), sadly no such luck.  I was given a rundown of the hotel facilities and the elite benefits at the hotel.  The hotel does not have a lounge, although they did for elites provide a one time welcome drink voucher.

diamondbenfits.jpg2_lobby1.jpg2_lobby2.jpg

Room

The room was located on the ground (or 1st floor).  The hotel only has another level - a two storey building.  The room was facing the courtyard which I was nice since this means less traffic noise.

Room size was just nice, big enough with a nice small sitting area and other amenities without feeling too squeezed.  It was your typical UK Hilton room (for those who've been to lots of non-London based Hilton's will know what I mean).  

There was tea/coffee making facilities available, although the fridge has been removed (the space where it used to be is now empty) - which for me is not an issue.  Room had 2 bottles (sadly plastic) of 1 still and 1 sparkling water, bathrobes and slippers provided.  As usual, all plug types were UK standard.  

4_bath1.jpg4_room1.jpg7_room2.jpg

The room does not have the standard climate control, but basically, in winter you use the wall mounted heater (which was not too bad in warming up the room) or in summer the provided fan units (I saw a big one and a smaller one in the wardrobe) - which for me should be OK since summer in the UK never gets too extreme besides the different spikes.

Internet speed was ok - I was given a code but I also did try the normal login method - did not really notice a different in speed.  The TV does seem to be part of the refreshed item in the room - with the usual assortment of UK channels mainly (it did have much more channels, but quite a number of them either had no signal or was just not showing anything).

Bathroom size was nice and spacious - but again your typical UK bathroom.  There was just a sort of angular bathtub - which was spacious so this was good as you don't have the shower curtain "sticking" to you when you shower.  I was surprised that the shower curtain was quite efficient in preventing water from spraying out.  Water and pressure was ok - only what I disliked was the fixed shower head.  They did have a heated towel rack.  The sink area was ok - but this was obviously the part which they did not replace - though it did do it's function with at least a mix water faucet and not those typical separate hot and cold faucets.

All in all, sleep quality was good, hardly any external noise and the bed (might be too firm for some) was to me good - no complains in this area, which to me is the most important part.  

In addition, the hotel does have the option to deny housekeeping and you get every night a 5GBP voucher to spend at any of the property F&B outlets.  I liked this as normally I really don't need fresh towels or bed made up for me every night.  

Breakfast

The breakfast is served in the main restaurant of the hotel.  During this period, on both occasions that I visited the place, it was never too busy - I guess the hotel itself was not too busy. 

The selection was to me actually quite good, and very well presented.  I guess this helped without the crowd as the areas were well kept and dishes refilled on time.  Quality also seemed quite good.  You can order eggs from any of the staff - although they do have already scrambled and sunny-side up eggs as part of the buffett.  I believe the hotel at least does based on the occupancy rate estimate quite well the portions to put out.

On both days, I had two different teams, and as usual, one team was just better in terms of service standard.  All in all, for me it was quite a solid breakfast offering.

break1.jpgbreak2.jpg1_break3.jpgbreak5.jpgbreakf6.jpg

Overall

All in all, a good balance of price to value received at this property for what I paid - basically your average UK type Hilton.  Staff in general were friendly and good.  The hotel did have a spa facilities, but I did not use it, but it does seemed to be used by quite a number of guests.  Elite recognition at this property is as what is on paper with just the addition of the welcome drink.

bar1.jpgbar2.jpgbar3.jpgcorri1.jpgcorri2.jpgcorri3.jpgoutdoor1.jpg1_outdoor2.jpg

Usual UK Hilton hotel, OK location

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Maidstone Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
wizla and MoodyB like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.