Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
I'm contemplating Koh Samui, Conrad Bali or back to Hilton Phuket. Wife and 2 girls aged 10 and 8. Girls are neither particularly loud nor super-quiet. We are looking for 5 days of beach and pool time. Kids loved Hilton Phuket which was a very family-friendly environment with lots of kids. I wouldn't mind going back, but wife wants to try something different.

I saw a few posts from a year ago regarding whether/not this place was good for kids, but the discussion was not really centered around things I was concerned about.

Things I'd like to know:
- Are kids/families common at this resort?
- My kids like to swim around (actually so I), and so I don't think the 10m private pool will cut it. I'd imagine we'll be frequenting the common pool, but I see that that pool has in-pool chairs and canopies and generally an adult-type vibe based on pictures. Will it be appropriate for kids/families to use that pool to play/swim around in?
- I've read that the beach is small and a bit rocky. But is the sand nice at the beach, and can kids still have fun in the water at the beach?
- Our kids' dinner is usually at EL. But this property does not seem to have one, and I see no kids menu online at any of the resort restaurants. Does anyone know if any of their restaurants have kids menu (even if it's not on the website)?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Based on what you're saying I would probably stay away from the Conrad Koh Samui. If you enjoyed Phuket, then I would give the Conrad Bali a try, assuming the renovations are complete and/or minimized by the time you're planning to visit. The Conrad Bali has several very large pools flowing throughout the resort, very family friendly, multiple restaurants on-site with lots more within short walking distance. Plus it's Bali, so there's no shortage of stuff to do.

The CKS is in an entirely different league, a much nicer, more intimate, adult-centric resort, and also much more expensive by a magnitude of several times. While families are certainly not un-welcome, it's definitely more of a honeymoon/couples/adult spot, meant for lounging in your villa, relaxing, admiring the views, and eating at the nice (expensive) restaurants. The "beach" at CKS is largely a no-go, man made, rocky, etc. Honestly you'd end up spending 3-4x what you would in Bali and your kids would probably get bored by the 2nd day .
Originally Posted by evergrn
Thank you for your input!
I actually ended up ruling out Koh Samui after finding out that Nov is the worst time of the year to go in terms of weather and possibility of rain.
But your comments are helpful for future purpose, for sure. And it's a bummer that the beach there is man-made and not worth the time.
I thoroughly agree with JJeffrey's observations and advice, except I'd add that the beaches at both the CKS and CB are lousy. At Bali, they're somewhat akin to mud flats. And at KS, barely a beach at all. My wife and I loved both hotels for other reasons, but didn't go into the sea at either. Between the two, CB is definitely more kid-friendly in terms of more for kids to do within and in the area of the hotel, whereas the CKS is more a romantic, couple-oriented world to itself.
evergrn likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
So the base room on a points stay is the 1-bedroom waterfront pool villa. Based on the photos I'm seeing, it seems possible that since these rooms are the lowest in the property, the palm trees may block sunset views. any concerns about this from people who have stayed there? do I need an upgrade to a 2-series room for an unobstructed view?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by awxm88
So the base room on a points stay is the 1-bedroom waterfront pool villa. Based on the photos I'm seeing, it seems possible that since these rooms are the lowest in the property, the palm trees may block sunset views. any concerns about this from people who have stayed there? do I need an upgrade to a 2-series room for an unobstructed view?
You are correct. The waterfront villas are very low and trees do block some of the views. When we visited as diamond members, we reserved waterfront and were upgraded to the 300 level. In my opinion, the 300 level is ideal- not too high and not too low.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
No More Complimentary Speedboat Tour after May 20, 2019

I just got word directly from the hotel that the complimentary speedboat tour won't operate anymore after May 20, 2019. They didn't give a specific reason as to why.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:17 pm

Anyone know the logistics of renting a scooter at this resort? Nearby companies that could deliver it? I wouldn't anticipate problems parking it at the resort but anyone know firsthand if that's not the case?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:15 pm

It has been about 2 years since our last visit. However, I do recall the hotel staff stating they could arrange for scooters. I am not sure but assume that would still be the case.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:25 pm
jtz

Originally Posted by ericande
Anyone know the logistics of renting a scooter at this resort? Nearby companies that could deliver it? I wouldn't anticipate problems parking it at the resort but anyone know firsthand if that's not the case?
Been 2 years for me too, and we hired a scooter from Chaweng, was fine to park in the car park, just take a buggy to the car park or walk of your villa os not too far off.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by KRUXED
It has been about 2 years since our last visit. However, I do recall the hotel staff stating they could arrange for scooters. I am not sure but assume that would still be the case.
Originally Posted by jtz
Been 2 years for me too, and we hired a scooter from Chaweng, was fine to park in the car park, just take a buggy to the car park or walk of your villa os not too far off.
Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Motorbike accidents are pretty common, especially involving tourist. The general driving conditions (roads, behavior and protocol) you encounter in Thailand, will be different from what your used to in your home country. It's a common occurrence to see cars/motorbikes driven at night with no headlights, vehicles driven on wrong side of the road, motorbikes aggressively sharing crowded sidewalks with pedestrians, poor road conditions to name a few to be found in Thailand. The Thailand motorbike accident lottery is the easiest lottery to win in the world. Many travel insurance policies will not cover motorbike accidents. With taxi/tuk tuk fares reasonably cheap by Western standards let a local do the driving.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chang11
Motorbike accidents are pretty common, especially involving tourist. The general driving conditions (roads, behavior and protocol) you encounter in Thailand, will be different from what your used to in your home country. It's a common occurrence to see cars/motorbikes driven at night with no headlights, vehicles driven on wrong side of the road, motorbikes aggressively sharing crowded sidewalks with pedestrians, poor road conditions to name a few to be found in Thailand. The Thailand motorbike accident lottery is the easiest lottery to win in the world. Many travel insurance policies will not cover motorbike accidents. With taxi/tuk tuk fares reasonably cheap by Western standards let a local do the driving.
I get that Bangkok is like that, but is Koh Samui as well?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Samui can be pretty challenging on a scooter. I'm okay tooling around Chaweng, but it's considerably dicier on the main road. I'd not be comfortable riding all the way to the Conrad.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by pinniped
I wasn't even thinking about Bangkok when I wrote about motorbike dangers in Thailand. To drive a motorbike in Bangkok is bordering on suicidal. Many Westerners just don't realize the roads/behavior of Thailand can be like the "Wild West". What Westerners consider crazy is the norm. Is the cost savings/convenience worth it?

This is crazy too!

Driving a Lamborghini Superleggera in Bangkok.

Lamborghini Superleggera at Bangkok Conrad.

Last edited by Chang11; May 1, 2019 at 11:46 am Reason: add photo
Old May 1, 2019, 6:33 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by KRUXED
Can't speak to this resort specifically, but most hotels in SEA can arrange for a rental scooter delivered at regular (not marked up) prices.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:34 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Chang11
Live a little…

Sure, driving in SEA is not for the faint of heart… but it can be a LOT quicker to get around this way, and you have full liberty to get to see sights on your own schedule without falling into tourist traps.

Westerners and especially Americans are too scared of the world.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just stayed here in April after Flyertalk made me want to come here about six years ago - it definitely lived up to the hype I had built up in my mind. Absolutely incredible. A couple of observations:

1) The Mr. Samui recommendation was fantastic - great for the airport transfer.
2) Was booked into the Oceanfront suites (100s) as a Gold and got upgraded to Ocean View (200) at check in
3) I am really sad they're discontinuing the complimentary boat excursion on May 19 - this was excellent and a really nice afternoon.

Overall, the stay was outstanding and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Abidjan, Cat88L3, Kacee and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.