Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
I'm pretty sure the pool in the 2 bedroom is larger.
You are correct, the 2 bedroom villa's pool is listed as 12m in length, vs. 10m for the 1 bedroom's. Their being the same shape threw me off.

The 2 bedroom villa has a softer, L-shaped couch which could sleep 2 shorter kids, whereas the 1 bedroom's 'thai-hard' unit was not particularly appreciated as a bed by a western friend.

As for the kitchenette's equipment, there is a full-sized fridge with freezer, a microwave, sink, 2 plate electric cooktop with hood, and service entrance... Just the standard minibar in the 1 bedroom.

My unit had some electric gremlins which were never fully solved, but one trick to revive ailing AC units (there are at least 4, with the living room one being overworked if curtains are left open during the day, vs. 2 in the one bedroom) was to remove the keycard from its slot by the door for a few minutes a day.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:28 pm

Looking for some advice on an itinerary. The wife and I have never been to Thailand but are looking at a trip there next summer. We have 10-11 days we can spend there and will be using points. How would you recommend splitting the time there? 5 days at Bangkok WA and 5 at KCS? We really loved Conrad Maldives last summer, so I am wondering if spending more time at KCS is advised. Just not sure how much to see in BKK and if 5 days there is the right amount. Also, thoughts on which destination to do 1st?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:57 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Jamal06
Looking for some advice on an itinerary. The wife and I have never been to Thailand but are looking at a trip there next summer. We have 10-11 days we can spend there and will be using points. How would you recommend splitting the time there?
We have done 4 vacations there. Not sure where you are starting from but if from the USA, my suggestion, as most flights end up getting in late is to get the furthest travel spots done at the beginning of the trip as you will be miserable the first couple days regardless.
My favorite itinerary for 11 nights was landing at BKK, catch Grab to DMK for some sleep then an early flight to Siem Reap on Air Asia (super cheap). Angkor Wat is Fantastic!! Very cheap hotels there - 4 star for $100. 3 or 4 nights then to BKK - 3 or 4 nights then to Koh Samui.
PM me if your interested in private guides in Cambodia and Bangkok.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just not sure how much to see in BKK and if 5 days there is the right amount. Also, thoughts on which destination to do 1st?
Five nights in Bangkok is IMO too long for a first time visitor. It is an exhausting city. I would suggest two or three.

As far as which to do first, for me it usually depends on how the flights work out. You can get into USM from BKK, SIN, or HKG. If you're not used to flying TPAC, I'd suggest a late night US departure, for an early morning arrival in Asia.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Looking for some advice on an itinerary. The wife and I have never been to Thailand but are looking at a trip there next summer. We have 10-11 days we can spend there and will be using points. How would you recommend splitting the time there? 5 days at Bangkok WA and 5 at KCS? We really loved Conrad Maldives last summer, so I am wondering if spending more time at KCS is advised. Just not sure how much to see in BKK and if 5 days there is the right amount. Also, thoughts on which destination to do 1st?
Do you have any points with Hyatt or Marriot? Hilton has no presence in Chiang Mai but you should try to make it up there. id do maybe 2 or 3 nights BKK, 4 or 5 nights Samui, then Chiang Mai for another 3 or so nights.

Also, if no points with other programs rooms can still be found for a very reasonable rate.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by jinrop
Do you have any points with Hyatt or Marriot? Hilton has no presence in Chiang Mai but you should try to make it up there. id do maybe 2 or 3 nights BKK, 4 or 5 nights Samui, then Chiang Mai for another 3 or so nights.

Also, if no points with other programs rooms can still be found for a very reasonable rate.
Agree, the only property I’ve ever used points at is Conrad Koh Samui - have stayed at Conrad Bangkok and Hilton Sukhumvit but rates were so cheap it wasn’t worth using points. Love Chiang Mai and have been there 3 times - IMO, for an 11 night vacation, Angkor Wat side trip wins.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

We're going here from the 2nd of Jan to the 7th. Pretty excited. Has anyone used Ocean Samui charter? We want to do it, but being just a couple the cost is pretty high for just two people to rent a speedboat all day. Looks like the free speedboat service stopped and now there is a sunset cruise every day for 1500THB ($50USD) which seems totally worth it and a good option.

Also- we are debating renting a car for the 5 days so we can be mobile, get groceries and eat other places than the hotel. Anyone have opinions on this? We did it when we went to Cabo and couldn't have been more happy with the decision as the restaurants in various towns were authentic, delicious and 1/4 the price as on resort.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goduke7
We're going here from the 2nd of Jan to the 7th. Pretty excited. Has anyone used Ocean Samui charter? We want to do it, but being just a couple the cost is pretty high for just two people to rent a speedboat all day. Looks like the free speedboat service stopped and now there is a sunset cruise every day for 1500THB ($50USD) which seems totally worth it and a good option.

Also- we are debating renting a car for the 5 days so we can be mobile, get groceries and eat other places than the hotel. Anyone have opinions on this? We did it when we went to Cabo and couldn't have been more happy with the decision as the restaurants in various towns were authentic, delicious and 1/4 the price as on resort.
We always rent a car here except for the time we did a few nights in Chaweng before going to the Conrad. It does come with some added stress as driving in Thailand can be interesting at times. But I haven't yet had an incident that made me not want to rent a car in the future. We'd almost rent a car JUST so we can stop at lamai fresh coconut ice cream every time we are out.(sometimes on the way to and from whereever we're going)

I've read in this thread about folks having groceries delivered to them at the Conrad and that sounded like a pretty good angle too.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
lamai fresh coconut ice cream.

This the place? https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lamai-fr...=page_internal

Seems like a must visit at least 10 times. Likely renting a car. Grocery delivery sounds fine but i can only sit at the beach or in a pool so long. Gotta go do something.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
This the place? https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lamai-fr...=page_internal

Seems like a must visit at least 10 times. Likely renting a car. Grocery delivery sounds fine but i can only sit at the beach or in a pool so long. Gotta go do something.
That is the one. The original location is at Lad Koh View Point just south of Chaweng on the ring road. The new one is a bit more tricky to find, but is on google maps(though is being built in the street view images) We are the same way, we get stir crazy just sitting around the resort and decide to go out even for silly things(like the famous Thailand 7-11 Toastie). Sometimes just to drive around the island. There's a mountain road that cuts through the island from Lamai to Bophut that is pretty interesting.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:46 pm

I always rent a car when staying at CKS. Of course you can have guided tours or food delivery. But I can't stay at the resort all the days too. There are good, but much cheaper restaurants in the near and around the island.

The main disadvantage is, that you can not drink and drive. I know, some people do it, but that is everywhere a bad idea, in Thailand it's an even worse idea. Police doesn't care much about licence or speeding. But they care about drunken drivers.

The difference between driving during daylight and during night is bigger at Samui than at other places from my point of view. Other DUI drivers, others driving without light etc. No problem when driving carefully at night. And it's not easy to find a parking place at some locations and you don't like to walk during noon, when it's really hot.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I had my groceries and alcohol (vodka and sparkling wine) delivered from Tops. I purchased it online. Conrad staff brought it right to my villa. One of the best cost effective decisions especially since I spent the majority of my time luxuriating by my villa's pool. Delivery was free if you spent more than 800 baht I believe

I had already spent 4 days on Samui before I came to the Conrad, so I had plenty of time to explore the island itself. I didn't get a chance to take advantage of the Sunset Cruise, but I wish that I did.

An extra perk that I did take advantage of was the floating breakfast at the CKS.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
I had my groceries and alcohol (vodka and sparkling wine) delivered from Tops. I purchased it online. Conrad staff brought it right to my villa. One of the best cost effective decisions especially since I spent the majority of my time luxuriating by my villa's pool. Delivery was free if you spent more than 800 baht I believe
Great suggestion! Never considered it. Tops has almost anything a Westerner would need.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years

Angkor Wat

Take the elephant ride up to see Sunset. Very cheap and climb/walk extremely hot sweaty

Serendipity Beach Ocean front hotel Sihanoukville
Angkor Wat is a great suggestion. Just remember Thailand and Cambodia is going to be extremely hot during planned visit (cooler period is now thru end of January).

Angkor Wat ruins are spread out in 50 sqm area and there are hundreds of ruin sites. Minimum 3 days, guide/driver with AC in car. I got up early AM to tour, then had 3-4 hour lunch break then toured again mid-afternoon to dusk.

Last edited by Chang11; Oct 10, 2019 at 9:15 am Reason: add photos
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:10 am

We too rented a car, I love the flexibility and being able to get the beaten path. Like anywhere, play close attention to the dogs sleeping on the raids and you’ll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.