Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Homewoods that Provide a Credible Dinner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

I don't have much experience at Homewoods, but do know that the SFO-North property provides enough tasty fare to qualify as dinner on Mon-Thurs nights. By contrast, the Rancho Cucamonga property served just iceberg salad with few garnish choices, plus thin, lukewarm chicken noodle soup.

So......which Homewoods to hit or avoid, based on evening fare?
Old May 30, 2008, 1:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think it depends on what the menu is, if I remember right they offer something different every night, not sure how often they repeat.

I've been in places where one night it was fried shrimp (quite yummie) and the next night some sludge looking thing that I don't even remember what it was called, yet they kept having to refill the trays.

Credible is totally in the eyes of the beholder, soup and salad may be a dream meal to some people who wouldn't go near hot fried shrimp.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The HS dinners are lame. 90% of the time they offer iceberg lettuce with cheap bottled dressings, some limp veggies and overcooked pasta with a cheap bottled tomato sauce (aka red gravy). Salted snacks too. If stuck in the HS I stick with the salad and beer or wine. They post a monthly menu in the rooms and I have always wondered if it was the same for all HS.

MisterNice
Old May 30, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Delta Gold, Hertz #1 FSG
Props to Mister Nice for actually being able to drink the wine served at HS!
Old May 30, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
I was very impressed with the facility and the dinner meals at the Homewood San Diego-Del Mar. The wife, kids and I stayed there for four nights last fall. While we ate in restaurants Saturday and Sunday night (they only serve dinner Monday through Thursday) the other two nights of our stay they served a rotating menu. We had pizza and chicken Caesar salad one night, and chili with baked potatoes the other night. Very tasty. Of course, best of all, the meal included complimentary wine and locally-brewed Firehouse beer.
Old May 30, 2008, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I haven't been there in a year or so, but the Solon OH HS used to serve real home-made meals. The kitchen lady literally made crockpot meals at home for guests. Some of them were quite good. They were always accompanied by the lame salad bar and a few salted munchies like chips and pretzels. With a couple decent restaurants within walking distance, you would only eat there due to bad weather or low per diem. I haven't found any of the others (Miami, Manchester NH) I've stayed at to be as good and haven't bothered.
Old May 31, 2008, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
So is "credible" one step up from "edible?"
Old May 31, 2008, 1:45 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by MisterNice
The HS dinners are lame. 90% of the time they offer iceberg lettuce with cheap bottled dressings, some limp veggies and overcooked pasta with a cheap bottled tomato sauce (aka red gravy). Salted snacks too. If stuck in the HS I stick with the salad and beer or wine. They post a monthly menu in the rooms and I have always wondered if it was the same for all HS.
I just had a recent stay at the HS in RIC (airport). I was pleasantly surprised by the "lite dinner" (I didn't even know they offered such a thing aside from free b'fast). I am a salad fiend and I was quit impressed by the salad offering. Not huge or varied, but very fresh. Iceberg lettuce, yes... but the accompanying veggies were good and fresh: cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, grated cheese... and more I just can't remember at the moment (I just had a salad bar for dinner tonight, lol). A large selection of "Newman's Own" dressing packets, which I like. I had two big salad bowls and was quite satisfied. Overall... for "free" food I can't complain. The hot offering was chicken wings which were actually pretty tasty. the potatoes were a little limp, but I don't eat them much anyway. I was glad I didn't have to leave the hotel to get a light dinner, which was all I was in the mood for anyway. ^

I guess I agree with this 100%:
Originally Posted by cordelli
Credible is totally in the eyes of the beholder, soup and salad may be a dream meal to some people who wouldn't go near hot fried shrimp.
Old May 31, 2008, 2:09 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I got Hot Dogs at the Homewood at Richmond Airport..
Old May 31, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
Last month, the Homewood Suites in Stratford, CT only offered the dinner on weekdays.
Old May 31, 2008, 10:27 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by sallyerd
Last month, the Homewood Suites in Stratford, CT only offered the dinner on weekdays.
I think that's the deal at all of them...

What is the Welcome HomeŽ reception?

Last edited by JonathanIT; May 31, 2008 at 10:37 am
Old May 31, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Slightly off topic, but I find the breakfasts at the Homewoods to be by far the worst of all the Hilton brands. Except for a HS somewhere around PDX about 10 years ago, which had a great spread and worked great for our family, I have never been desperate enough to eat the dinners.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by sallyerd
Actually, per the link posted by JonathanIT, it's only Monday through Thursday. AFAIK, it's always been that way. Furthermore, I believe that is pretty standard at extended-stay hotels (Residence Inns, etc.), not just Homewoods.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Stripe
Slightly off topic, but I find the breakfasts at the Homewoods to be by far the worst of all the Hilton brands. Except for a HS somewhere around PDX about 10 years ago, which had a great spread and worked great for our family, I have never been desperate enough to eat the dinners.
While we're off the topic, I'll say they're no better or worse than Hampton Inn's breakfasts. In fact, identical.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Stripe
Slightly off topic, but I find the breakfasts at the Homewoods to be by far the worst of all the Hilton brands.
I would have to agree. The Homewoods I have stayed at usually tend to have a better dinner than breakfast. The fruit and bread selections were very sparse. The staff usually hustled to refill the hashbrowns and sausage but nothing else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.