Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Mixing redemption stay with regular stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Gold Passport, BMI Diamond Club Silver, UA Premier

Hi,
I guess this must be a fairly common question, so apologies if it's been asked many times (although I searched back a few pages and found nothing).
I'm staying for 4 nights at the Tokyo Hilton and used my remaining HH points to pay for one of the nights. The other three nights I'm paying for myself (regular, queen room, same as the standard redemption stay room). So, I have two seperate reservations. I'll mail the hotel in advance to let them know, but does this cause any problems when you check in? Is there a chance I'll have to check out and back in again? Am I jeopardising chances of an upgrade or other little perks (I'm a diamond member)?
Any advice how to make this work as smoothly as possible would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
I can't speak to that particular hotel, but I've done the same with other Hiltons. Most recently about a year ago at the London Kensington, with 2 days award and 2 days revenue stay. Technically it's 2 stays, but when I informed them at check-in, they set me up for what was basically an auto-check-in for the "second" stay. Didn't have to change rooms, folio was transferred onto the 2nd stay folio, etc.

Just let them know at check-in, or even in advance if you can add comments to the reservation.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:15 pm

Damn, I was just thinking about it last night and wanted to post to ask how it actually works. This is crazy that the OP asked it today already. Thanks.

So looks like you have to book two separate stays and then tell the hotel to make note of it so that its the same room, etc. etc.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vrbaba
So looks like you have to book two separate stays and then tell the hotel to make note of it so that its the same room, etc. etc.
Yes, I've done that many times. Even when I didn't call in advance to combine the reservations, it was done when I checked in.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: United, HHonors Diamond, SPG, AvisFirst
Same thing for us a few years ago at the Hilton Los Cabos. 3 nights with points, 4 to pay. Had to make two reservations. Added comments to second reservation (the ones for the later date) that I was already staying there and I hoped to not have to move rooms.

When we arrived, told them we had two reservations, and they said check back the day before the first reservation ends. We checked back and they told us to stay in the same room, no problem.

Only caveat was that they didn't give us our breakfast coupons for the second stay until it techinically began.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I do this all of the time. If I get a great room when I first check in, I tell them to combine them. If I don't, I'll tell them I'll check back in and hope for a better room. Since you're staying for 4 nights and then adding one on, it may not be worth it in this specific case.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:19 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I've also done this many times. I've also done it by combining regular and point saver awards.

The only glitch I've ever run into is that sometimes the card key doesn't work when the second stay starts, even if the hotel staff told me at check-in that I would be in the same room for the entire stay.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, Choice Privileges, BW Gold Crown
I've done it a couple of times. The first time I made the reservation with a telephone rep -- two reward nights and one paid night -- and things went smoothly at check in. The second time I made an online reward reservation and then immediately made a paid reservation for the second night. I e-mailed the hotel to give them a heads up that this would be a single stay even though there were two reservations. I had to explain it again and check in, but everything worked out okay.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:57 pm

I have done this twice. First time Squaw Peak Phoenix with the paid night as the first night and then 3 reward nights following. No problem with front desk at check in, just stopped by next morning to remind them so our key would work when we returned to the hotel later that day. Second time recently in Clearwater. First 6 nights rewards stay and last night paid stay. Again no problem but it does take a few extra minutes at check in and just be sure to remind them what you are doing.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Have done this several times as well. Most recently at Berlin Hitlton. One thing to possibly note. I have my preferences set to Hilton Hhonors points and Fixed Miles with BMI. For the Berlin Hilton stay my miles didn't post, when I tried to get them to post afterwards, they told me that since it was a combined award/paid stay miles would not be awarded. So next time I'll change my preferences to points plus points before this type of stay.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond,Southwest A-List Preferred, Alaska MVP Gold
We did that in Cancun. We payed for the first two nights at the special ocean front rooms. I forget the name of the wing, but they are seperate from the tower, quiet, and you are right on the water! Anyway, we booked the next two nights on points. They usually put reward nights in the tower. The hotel would not guarantee that we could stay in the same room, but we went during a slow season and it worked!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold, UA Silver, SW, Frontier
Originally Posted by vicb
I have done this twice. First time Squaw Peak Phoenix with the paid night as the first night and then 3 reward nights following. No problem with front desk at check in, just stopped by next morning to remind them so our key would work when we returned to the hotel later that day. Second time recently in Clearwater. First 6 nights rewards stay and last night paid stay. Again no problem but it does take a few extra minutes at check in and just be sure to remind them what you are doing.

I had a similar experience with Squaw Peak. We book 5 nights on rewards and paid for 2. I called the Diamond Desk and they actually combined the rewards reservation with the revenue reservation and it appeared twice on my reservations page under the same confirmation number. It made it easier for the hotel to check me in AND they knew to keep me in the same room, which they had upgraded to one of the great Casitas. I have found this to be a smooth process now. But as stated, I did need to stop by the front desk after the first 5 nights to have my room keys reset.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
We did this with Paris hilton and still no problems.A paid night tacked on to a 6 night award.On the last night returned to find a bottle of champagne and a box of chocolates for the second time during our stay.A nice bonus.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Gold Passport, BMI Diamond Club Silver, UA Premier
Just following up on my own initial post. I emailed the hotel (Tokyo Hilton) over the weekend and mentioned that I was combining a reward and revenue stay and that we'd really appreciate not having to check in twice or move rooms. They replied promptly to say that we would have the same room for our full stay.
Actually I originally mailed them to see if I could move the revenue part of my stay which I had booked at the cheapest, non-refundable rate. We have two stays in Tokyo at the start and end of our trip and I'd booked 2 nights in the Conrad with my points at the start, with 3+1 nights in the Hilton for the second stay (using the points for the much more expensive Sat. night, I thought I was doing rather well). However, I had accumulated points a lot quicker than expected since I made the reservations 6 weeks ago and realised I had now had enough to cover the 4 nights at the end in the Conrad and to my surprise there was still availability for early July for a reward stay. So I wanted to see if I could switch my revenue stay at the Hilton to the start. Unfortunately, it's not possible so it's just the two free nights in the Conrad. Ah well, you live and learn.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:52 am

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
Originally Posted by tonto_b
Just following up on my own initial post. I emailed the hotel (Tokyo Hilton) over the weekend and mentioned that I was combining a reward and revenue stay and that we'd really appreciate not having to check in twice or move rooms. They replied promptly to say that we would have the same room for our full stay.
Actually I originally mailed them to see if I could move the revenue part of my stay which I had booked at the cheapest, non-refundable rate. We have two stays in Tokyo at the start and end of our trip and I'd booked 2 nights in the Conrad with my points at the start, with 3+1 nights in the Hilton for the second stay (using the points for the much more expensive Sat. night, I thought I was doing rather well). However, I had accumulated points a lot quicker than expected since I made the reservations 6 weeks ago and realised I had now had enough to cover the 4 nights at the end in the Conrad and to my surprise there was still availability for early July for a reward stay. So I wanted to see if I could switch my revenue stay at the Hilton to the start. Unfortunately, it's not possible so it's just the two free nights in the Conrad. Ah well, you live and learn.
At the risk of generalization, based on a number of trips to Japan over the years, flexibility is not one word I would use to describe the culture.
I can't tell you how many times I have arrived before check in time, and never ever been given a room a minute earlier than check in time.

Also, at the NRT Hilton, I've actually been given the exact same room four times in a row (last six months or so)! The breakfast buffet at this hotel is identical every day as it has been for the past ten years.

Language is still a significant barrier as well so that makes it more difficult to work with the hotels sometimes..

ckc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.