Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton blocking FlyerTalk??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FT is my home page, and I could not get on at the Homewood in Roc last week. Thought it was the hotel's wireless. It was one of those trips where I dropped bags in the room, logged on to quickly check emails and then to long client dinner. Back out very early in the morning, and I had the BBerry as a backup so I wasn't really concerned.

The next night in BUF, worked fine.

I see another "sticky" in the making.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by kazakie
Error on IE:

The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for unknown server name
This means that:
The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
Check if the address is correct.
Originally Posted by Smaug
At this point, I would check to see if you could connect via FT's IP address (http://67.201.16.68). Perhaps the URL itself is being blocked at the site's DNS server, and using the IP address would bypass that.
I get the above error at www.flyertalk.com but can access http://67.201.16.68 - but that doesn't let you log in so you can't post.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:19 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by holmedown
I had this last week at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown Chicago - was fine at other Hilton brands in SAN and SAT. tried over several days and just timed out - and yes tried clearing cache etc - if it makes any difference was wired not wireless at that hotel ???
Ditto for me at this property last week. Had brief, very slow connection on wednesday but couldn't access at all on Monday or Tuesday. Most sites were very slow, but FlyerTalk often didn't load at all.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
OK at Hilton, LAX.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Prisoner #347921
Unhappy

Got the Heisman trying to access FT at the Hampton Inn & Suites, Doral (Miami) this past week.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:08 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
No dice at Embassy Suites- STL either.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond
Blocked at the Hampton Inn in Cypress CA all week
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Blocked at the Boston Logan Airport Hilton yesterday. Unbelievable!
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:21 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kazakie
I get the above error at www.flyertalk.com but can access http://67.201.16.68 - but that doesn't let you log in so you can't post.
Thank goodness I read this thread previously and bookmarked the IP address. I had the same problem at the HGI Burlingame last night. It is annoying that you can read and cannot log in to reply, but at least I can read what's going on.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Unhappy

blocked at home wood suites near the Saint Louis airport.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Blocked at the Hampton Blacksburg, VA this weekend.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
It seems to be blocked at the Hampton in Couer d'Alene, Idaho as well.

I'm in disbelief but given these reports I'm starting to think that they've really done this. What amazing arrogance.

So do we have any recourse? Should we call/email hilton to complain about censoring the internet? I know legally we don't have much recourse - they have whatever rights they need buried in the terms you agree to when you access. Still from an ethical customer service level engaging in any sort of censoring doesn't sit well with me.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:56 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I'm at the Hilton in Orlando - Disney - it's working fine (obviously since I'm posting from my room ). The hotel however is not working fine - yikes! The staff here really needs to learn what customer service 101 is all about but that's for another thread/post.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pmaddock
It seems to be blocked at the Hampton in Couer d'Alene, Idaho as well.

I'm in disbelief but given these reports I'm starting to think that they've really done this. What amazing arrogance.
Flyertalk is accessible from this location now - most odd.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I seriously doubt if they are blocking FT. I am certain FT is the SLOWEST internet site I visit and others have said the same thing. I think the FT administrator should put in a new battery and quit buying such at the Dollar Store..

MisterNice
Or feed the gerbils something other than rice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.