Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Addis Ababa {ETH}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Arrow Hilton Addis Ababa {ETH}

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any up-to-date review of the Hiolton Addis Ababa.

I will be in Addis in March for a conference, and have the choice of staying at the Sheraton or Hilton. Would appreciate feedback on what I could expect at the Hilton as a Diamond in terms of upgrade, club access, other benefits. The limited feedback I have read seems to promote the Sheraton as a better experience.

Would also appreciate feedback on location of Hilton compared to Sheraton and UN Conference Centre.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 5:27 pm

The Sheraton and the Hilton are both near the center of Addis, though I don't know where the UN Center is relative to either. Despite their geographis proximity, they are worlds apart in terms of facilities and experience. The Hilton is a solid, American hotel; the Sheraton is a palace. As a Diamond/Platinum, I was treated fine at each, though the Sheraton seemed to be giving the best room to the people paying four or five times as much per night as I was - no complaints from me. At the Hilton, the guys standing out front with the machine guns were always friendly.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
The Sheraton and the Hilton are both near the center of Addis, though I don't know where the UN Center is relative to either. Despite their geographis proximity, they are worlds apart in terms of facilities and experience. The Hilton is a solid, American hotel; the Sheraton is a palace. As a Diamond/Platinum, I was treated fine at each, though the Sheraton seemed to be giving the best room to the people paying four or five times as much per night as I was - no complaints from me. At the Hilton, the guys standing out front with the machine guns were always friendly.
Well then - I guess I will have to try both and see

How far apart are the hotels (e.g. walking distance, 5 minute drive)?

Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Club_IC
Well then - I guess I will have to try both and see

How far apart are the hotels (e.g. walking distance, 5 minute drive)?

They are close, but not sure if you want to walk around town. I know the SPG is way over the top. THe hilton is very nice, but not many hotels can compete wiht that Sheraton.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troyintn
They are close, but not sure if you want to walk around town. I know the SPG is way over the top. THe hilton is very nice, but not many hotels can compete wiht that Sheraton.
I think this reinforces my thought to try both.

The Hilton Nairobi is very disappointing, so I am looking forward to hopefully a very positive impression of Hilton Addis Ababa. I presume, they have a lounge? Thanks for your feedback.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Report on stay at Hilton Addis Ababa

When I checked in, the receptionist was not very friendly, and barely interacted with me at all, despite having handed her my Diamond card - maybe she did not know what it was?

I was handed a room key for a low floor when my profile requests a high floor. As I have yet to find a Hilton Lounge or Executive room to be on a low floor, I asked if I had been upgraded only to be told no. And into the bargain, as I had not been given an executive room, did not have lounge access either.

I explained that Executive rooms were still being offered on the Hilton website as of the previous day, and that as a Diamond member, I was very surprised not to receive an upgrade and Lounge Access.

The receptionist then made a phone call, took my card back and issued me a new card for a top floor room, without once saying a word - not even when she gave me the new room card. When I went upstairs I found I had been given an Executive room with lounge access.

When I used the lounge, the service was friendly when staff were there, but on a number of occasions there were no staff around at all. Check out in the lounge was fast and friendly.

As a Diamond Member, I found this a disappointing experience overall, especially compared to the "can do" and very friendly attitude of other Hilton properties where I have previously stayed. The rooms I saw were tired, although not as bad as the Hilton Cairo.

The Sheraton Addis is highly recommended by comparison
Old Mar 24, 2009, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for this report. I wonder if this hotel ever plans to renovate! What was the club lounge like? Wifi? Breakfast/evening spread ok? Free drinks? How far is it from the airport?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
bump, anyone?!
Old May 20, 2009, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I havent been able to get a single response from anyone at the hotel...Im trying to at least arrange an airport transfer and request a club level room if available. None of the 6-7 emails I can find online (even hilton.com) work!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thought I would update this thread since there didnt seem to be a lot about this property.

The rooms are dated and aging, but not in horrible condition. Internet is quite expensive, but club level guests have access to a nice lounge. It's nothing fancy, but the breakfast and evening spreads have hot/cold items plus during the day light snacks are served. A small fridge holds water and soft drinks, and alcohol comes out to play at night.

There is a shuttle that costs $5 to take guests to/from the airport..reservations can be made upon arrival at the airport and at the hotel two hours prior to departure. There are a lot of foreigners and expats using the hotel as a social scene, buying day passes for the large pools, or dining in the restaurants. The Sheraton is a few blocks away and the neighborhood is relatively calm and safe. Slums are visible from the rooms, but so are office buildings and small parks. Not a bad deal since the rates and HHonors points exhange are so low.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:02 am

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Possibly staying here in the next few months and wanted to get anyones feedback on the service/amenities/rooms etc... So far, all I have read are negative things about this hotel but they are from a couple of years ago. Anyone stay more recently? If so, could you write up a quick summary about your thoughts with regards to the hotel?

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I stayed there in December. The hotel is a bit shabby. I found the staff great. Was upgraded to Executive Floor. Decent breakfast and nice spread in the evening. Great pool and outdoor restaurant. Bar lively with lots of upscale locals. Did visit the Sheraton. It is really over the top. Shuttle from the airport. $5.

There was a huge pan Africa conference and ssecurity was very tight for a few days
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
An earlier experience of mine was noted briefly toward the bottom of post number 6 here.

The front desk staff are, generally speaking, downright rude. All other staff I found delightful, actually - even the people at the metal detector.

Btw, as a Diamond (or if you pay for an exec. level room) you should be *checking in* in the executive lounge upstairs, and it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had you moseyed up there to check in.

The rates have come WAY way down over the last couple of years, fortunately.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Thanks for the heads up on all things Hilton ADD. So for the most part, I should not expect a suite upgrade while I am their I assume?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've always been partial to this hotel since it was the first Hilton I stayed at. Does anyone know if they still have the on-site miniature golf course? It was one of the hardest courses I ever played believe it or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.