FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa {CRI} (no longer Honors) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/758978-hilton-papagayo-costa-rica-resort-spa-cri-no-longer-honors.html)

JDiver Jun 10, 2010 10:46 pm

I'm guessing they will treat you fine - but you will have to pay for every drink, food item, etc. and it will be a hassle to document it all. YMMV, of course, and you could change the stay to a PPGDA* award. If at all like Doubletree Puntarenas, you would then get the upgrade to the top tier meals and drinks.

You could e-mail and inquire, of course, and I will PM you a contact.

cbalaska Jul 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Papagayo or Puntarenas?

Originally Posted by justinc848 (Post 13861634)
According to the Hilton website, this place is going back to being all inclusive as of May 1...

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica in January anyone with a recent stay have anything to add about how they were greeted as a Diamond?

I'm choosing between this place and the DT Puntarenas resort. According to reviews, Diamonds are treated like royalty at the DT.

Bump...
I'm looking for advice. For 2 women (travel pals -- we go somewhere new without husbands every year) traveling to Costa Rica for a week for the first time in early December, would Papagayo or Puntarenas be better? I'm Diamond and this will be a reward stay. We like the all-inclusive resort concept and would rent a car to do exploring many days, but not all. We also like to have a few "chill" days to sleep in late, get papmered, and enjoy the pool/beach (for snorkeling).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JDiver Jul 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Have you read the reviews of the "Puntarenas" (not actually in Puntarenas) property? On one hand, it is much closer to San José and many activities, parks and sites. OTOH, if you want solace, forget it - that is a very family friendly destination that is close enough to San José that it is flooded to overflowing with kids every weekend and during school holidays.

Guanacaste, where the Papagayo is, is Costa Rica's "Big Empty" and you need to be mobilized to visit parks and head south to the better beaches. There are parks and activities, but this is scrub forest, not rain forest like near Puntarenas.

In both cases, having wheels is a big advantage, but do take into consideration Tico driving and road conditions.

Originally Posted by cbalaska (Post 14362779)
Bump...
I'm looking for advice. For 2 women (travel pals -- we go somewhere new without husbands every year) traveling to Costa Rica for a week for the first time in early December, would Papagayo or Puntarenas be better? I'm Diamond and this will be a reward stay. We like the all-inclusive resort concept and would rent a car to do exploring many days, but not all. We also like to have a few "chill" days to sleep in late, get papmered, and enjoy the pool/beach (for snorkeling).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jaimito Cartero Jul 25, 2010 5:41 pm

When I stayed at the Papagayo as a Diamond, I wasn't overwhelmed with the service or location. I'd say the property is average. Service below average.

I generally find that all inclusive places the food quality goes down. I thought the food just average when we went, and it wasn't all inclusive at the time.

I don't find driving in Costa Rica that bad, but I drive there all the time. If you're not used to big city driving, it might be a bit much for you. Out in the countryside it's quite easy. Just watch out for the cops with their radar guns, occasional potholes, and guys passing around corners in marked "do not pass" zones.

cbalaska Jul 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. It's almost a coin toss as we have an eclectic and varied list of things we want to do that each property would satisfy. Off to mull it over ---- over a tall cold one!

TrinaLC Aug 20, 2010 8:54 am

Looking for recent experiences.

Is there likely a diamond upgrade, and if so what type of upgrade should I request?

JDiver Aug 20, 2010 10:34 am

"Likely upgrade" is likely to depend on 1) property occupancy, and 2) your negotiating skills. You should begin my annotating your booking if possible, contacting the property a week or two prior to arrival and asking again when you check in - referring to the contact person you were in touch with by e-mail may be useful to the process, as Costa Rica is one of those places where front line folks are somewhat unwilling to take responsibility for a decision like an upgrade. (See my PM.)

The northwest Guanacaste coast is not a major destination for North Americans, so I'd cast a wider net than FT - maybe Trip Advisor, etc. (but watch for posts made by shills).

Originally Posted by TrinaLC (Post 14515557)
Looking for recent experiences.

Is there likely a diamond upgrade, and if so what type of upgrade should I request?

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 13348532)
My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa in Feb 2010. On the whole, it's an isolated, rustic resort. It's fine for laid-back tourists who enjoy quiet days by the pool or on the beach. Those looking for a central location, bustling activity, or high levels of service should look elsewhere.

My wife and I visited on an award stay. Thanks to diamond status, and with a little negotiating, the hotel upgraded us to an oceanfront bungalow. While our room was among those closest to the ocean, the term 'oceanfront' is a misnomer. The ocean was actually down a steep hill covered with vegetation, with no direct access. The hotel has NO rooms adjacent to the beach.

Our bungalow had a mini fridge, a semiprivate sink area, and a separate room for bath and toilet. The space was comfortable for the two of us but would be crowded with 3-4. The outdoor balcony was nice for enjoying evenings overlooking the bay.

TrinaLC Aug 21, 2010 8:08 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 14516138)
"Likely upgrade" is likely to depend on 1) property occupancy, and 2) your negotiating skills. You should begin my annotating your booking if possible, contacting the property a week or two prior to arrival and asking again when you check in - referring to the contact person you were in touch with by e-mail may be useful to the process, as Costa Rica is one of those places where front line folks are somewhat unwilling to take responsibility for a decision like an upgrade. (See my PM.)

The northwest Guanacaste coast is not a major destination for North Americans, so I'd cast a wider net than FT - maybe Trip Advisor, etc. (but watch for posts made by shills).

Thanks JD for taking the time to post these and for the PM. Our travel would be early January so I'm thinking occupancy rate shouldn't be that high (off-vacation).

YULQC Sep 23, 2010 7:42 am

Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica

Has anyone stayed here recently? I am thinking about burning some points here early in 2011. Reports on tripadvisor are mostly positive but I would like to hear from the FT community.

JDiver Sep 23, 2010 10:09 am

There are three other threads easily surfaced by using the keyword Papagayo.

The most recently updated one is the trip reports and review thread here; it's a better idea to bump the thread with greatest currency and information so members can have some continuity.

That being said, the property is remote from much of anything, including off-property restaurants and parks - some say there is significant distance even between some property amenities and lodgings. It is a longish slog by vehicle from San José, and is more easily available (but still a drive or ride) from LIR / Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport at Liberia. Guanacaste, Costa Rica (some airlines provide seasonal service from Canada). Probably best for those who are pretty self-contained and want a place to relax away from it all, or those who have a vehicle and are adventurous so they can get to some of the parks and even beaches south of here.

jwill Sep 23, 2010 3:29 pm

It really all depends on what you want out of the trip

I stayed there with my significant other early August.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. There are some real pluses, and some real negatives about the facility.

I was there for 2 nights on a Rewards Stay. Shoot me a private message.

This is my review. I can give more candid feedback one on one if I know what kind of traveler you are.

Just read my review first. Have a great trip.

kcaluwae Nov 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Hilton Papagayo : fantastic experience

We stayed in the Hilton Papagayo for 2 nights in November. It was a fantastic experience. All staff members went the extra mile. From check-in to check-out it was a treat. Except for breakfast we never went to the buffet restaurant. Food was very good at all times. I just wouldn't suggest to go to El Brocadillo for dinner, choice is limited and low quality compared to El Dorado.

I was very much impressed by the quality of the staff and the all-inclusive package. Huge choice of cocktails and wines, all included.

isle-hawg Jan 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Are there any mulit-night discounts available for this hotel for Diamond members? I know of this http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/.../incresorts.do

but it offers not benefit for multi-night stays,

SkyTeam777 May 28, 2011 10:35 am

All rates appear to be all-inclusive here again. Why does it keep wavering back and forth?

isle-hawg May 29, 2011 8:09 am

It has been that way for awhile now. I stayed there earlier this month for 5 days. It is a very nice resort with friendly and helpful staff. The food was ok, nothing great - but no complaints.