FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa {CRI} (no longer Honors) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/758978-hilton-papagayo-costa-rica-resort-spa-cri-no-longer-honors.html)

JetSet05 Mar 1, 2015 8:06 pm

We have a reward reservation for May 2-6. We have not been contacted. This will be interesting, as I have no idea what to do about our booked flights.

lattymong Mar 2, 2015 6:04 am

This Sucks!

We have a five night stay booked for the first week of April. This does not bode well. I am sure that service will suffer in that staff will be less inclined to offer good service, knowing that their jobs are being eliminated.

I will, post a report during our stay.

JetSet05 Mar 2, 2015 1:30 pm

Just spoke with Hilton Guest Relations. They told me that all effected will be recieving an email "soon".

Ironically, this has happened to me before. Last year when the Conrad Maldives closed for remodeling and 3rd island construction, we had a booked reward stay. Hilton offered us two different choices for which hotel to move to. I am hoping they give a few good options for this trip to costa rica.

Baldeaglern Mar 5, 2015 10:07 am

Cancelled Reservation

We had a Honors stay (diamond) for June 13-20. Noticed that the hotel name was missing in reservation yesterday and when I clicked on View/Edit got an error screen.

Called Diamond desk was told as of Feb. 28th it was "terminated." Made reservation in January. Transferred me to main Hilton office who cancelled reservation and is refunding points.

There wasn't to option to keep the reservation. There is a DoubleTree all-inclusive about 50km from San Jose, but reviews of TA appear it's more a of place for locals.

Really stinks as we were looking forward to this stay.

Screamin03 Mar 6, 2015 5:17 pm

I am currently in Costa Rica staying at the JW Marriott just south of this resort. I just found out while sitting poolside when I went to check-in on my HHonors app that it was no longer a Hilton property. I am supposed to be staying there tomorrow for 6 days. I am sitting on hold with the Diamond desk as I type this who is trying to contact the hotel and of course cant get in touch with anyone at the hotel. We shall see how this plays out...

Screamin03 Mar 6, 2015 5:27 pm

Just got off of the phone. I was told that my reservation is still valid, it is still all-inclusive, and to just call Hilton when I get back from vacation about anything I miss out on being a diamond and they will get me taken care. It is now just called Papagayo Resort. Potential crisis averted.

On a side note -I had the most pleasant CSR named Gina help me out. Now back to my vacation.

Lehava Mar 9, 2015 2:33 pm

First of all if you are there right now I am super jealous. Also say hi to Oscar and Eylin (my favorite bar tenders)

Ok now a question for everyone who has stayed at papagayo. What I truly loved about this property was how away from everything you felt. The individual bungalows made it so much more than 'another big hotel plopped on a beach'. What other Hilton properties around the world offer this same kind of total escape. When you travel every week for work the last thing you want on vacation is to feel like you are staying in another hotel.

Where do I go now that this property is not Hilton.

JetSet05 Mar 11, 2015 1:59 pm

Just received an email from Hilton. My may 2-6 reward reservation will be transferred to the Dream Las Mareas if we choose. Not too bad, we will likely accept the offer.

ronf Mar 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa Canceled and rebooked at Dreams Las Mareas

I was notified that my reservation is no longer valid at Papagayo because they sold to AMR and AMR is closing this property while they rebrand it.

I called Hilton guest services but they could give me no information, other than I have been booked at Dreams Las Mareas. No room info, nothing. I was told Hilton and AMR are still working out the details.

Trip Advisor has multiple positive and negative reviews for this new resort. I thought we could have a dedicated thread to compare our room offers for those in the situation.

Screamin03 Mar 20, 2015 4:30 pm

I just got back from this resort. I was staying at the JW Marriott Guanacaste and looking to check-in online for my reservation the following day only to my surprise I was unable to check-in. After some research I found that it was no longer a Hilton property. I was shocked having had ZERO communication about this. I called the HHonors Diamond desk because I wasn't sure what was going on or if I even had a room there the next day. However furious I was that Hilton neglected to contact me regrading this matter I had a great CSR on the other end of the line that had no idea this happened as well but took it upon themselves to contact the hotel and find out if I was good or not.

At the end of the day the resort honored my reservation. It was still all-inclusive and they gave me a free upgrade because "I am still a diamond member to them" (cheesy but nice to hear).

We enjoyed the resort. Some serious money is needed to update the rooms for sure. It's not close to anything so you are pretty much stuck there unless you go on an excursion. Despite what some folks on TripAdvisor say we thought the food was good. In fact, we were weary of the food so we would order multiple entrees and the staff even encouraged it if we were unsure of what we wanted. The food is plenty as well especially when you can order as many entrees as you please. In fact, my wife loved not choosing which one dessert she wanted...why not just get all 3!? The common pool area with the bar and restaurants is very nice and the highlight of the property IMO. The air conditioning in the rooms isn't great, the doors all have about a 1/4" gap allowing bugs to get in at cool air to get out, and the rooms are completely outdated. The grounds are beautiful, the employees are amazing, and so is the view. Keep a look out for those howler monkeys coming out for dinner in the evenings!

lattymong Apr 7, 2015 6:07 am

Great Stay!

We just returned from the Papagayo, they took great care of us. King bed on the bay (room 107), just steps from the pool & restaurants. The staff couldn't have been nicer. I was concerned they wouldn't be engaged knowing they would be out of a job in a month, not the case. Great job Eduardo & Sandy!

The food was meh, Everything at El Dorado was cooked and then held in a warmer. The Ritual bar has great burgers! The rooms were a bit worn; but functional.