FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa {CRI} (no longer Honors) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/758978-hilton-papagayo-costa-rica-resort-spa-cri-no-longer-honors.html)

kymbakitty Nov 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa {CRI} (no longer Honors)

I'm trying to plan for our annual Oct/Nov trip, usually out of the country for 2008. I'm not going to have enough points for an actual award after burning another 265 in Feb for Cabo Hilton.

I have always heard that Costa Rica was great and was relatively inexpensive. I did a search and found the above referenced hotel. To my amazement, I put in some arbitrary dates (end of Oct) and the BEST rate I could find was $359 per night! Say what? Am I missing something here?

It also stated that it is an all inclusive, which my husband says he will never do because all the food taste the same, but I thought if the price was decent, maybe we could just eat breakfast and an occassional lunch or something and explore the island for local fare. But at $359 a night...are you serious? What, is this the Taj Mahal?

Boy, maybe I misunderstood Costa Rica with another island!

Any insight into these prices? Heck, the five star Grand Lido Resorts aren't that much per night!!!!

Dawn

craz Nov 19, 2007 8:00 pm

The Four Seasons in the same area had their cheapest roomslast week (off season) going for $515, so the Hilton at $359 isnt bad. Saw a few billboards stating it was to open 12/07, but didnt see the prop itself.

If its anywhere near like the grounds of the 4S $359 is a steal. Theres always the Marriott down south before Jaco Beach, very nice Hotel but doesnt compare in the slighest to the 4S. Offseason the Marriott Los Souces runs $200+

kymbakitty Nov 19, 2007 8:04 pm

So it's brand new?

Originally Posted by craz (Post 8758695)
The Four Seasons in the same area had their cheapest roomslast week (off season) going for $515, so the Hilton at $359 isnt bad. Saw a few billboards stating it was to open 12/07, but didnt see the prop itself.

If its anywhere near like the grounds of the 4S $359 is a steal. Theres always the Marriott down south before Jaco Beach, very nice Hotel but doesnt compare in the slighest to the 4S. Offseason the Marriott Los Souces runs $200+

So, this hotel is not being renovated....it is from scratch? Hum....wish I had points, but I'm not sure how the point structure works with an All Inclusive.

Do you think there is enough to do there to sustain you for a week or so? Nothing less...but 8 days?

Dawn

Jaimito Cartero Nov 19, 2007 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by kymbakitty (Post 8757889)

Costa Rica is not an island. I'm sure it will be at some time in the future, but as of yet, is not. :)

Jaimito Cartero Nov 19, 2007 8:25 pm

I found some nights for $254 Net Direct. The taxes are pretty stiff, though, 25% or so. At least for a two person booking. I looked for award nights, and they're not showing yet.

kymbakitty Nov 20, 2007 6:38 am

Doesn't look like this one is going to fit the bill....

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 8758813)
I found some nights for $254 Net Direct. The taxes are pretty stiff, though, 25% or so. At least for a two person booking. I looked for award nights, and they're not showing yet.

We are using Delta Sky Miles for a free flight to the Caribbean, somewhere. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive Hilton property (preferably) that I can actually pay for with cash that won't cost us a lot of money because I won't have enough Hilton Points at that point.

I don't want to go to Puerto Rico or Nassau, so Costa Rica came up with a Hilton property. I was just floored when I saw how much it was going for per night.

I'll keep searching....there doesn't appear to be much in the Caribbean in the way of Hiltons so maybe it will be a non Hilton property this year (did I just say that?).

Thanks.

Dawn

barbecj Nov 20, 2007 6:39 am

Originally Posted by kymbakitty (Post 8757889)
I'm trying to plan for our annual Oct/Nov trip, usually out of the country for 2008. I'm not going to have enough points for an actual award after burning another 265 in Feb for Cabo Hilton.

I have always heard that Costa Rica was great and was relatively inexpensive. I did a search and found the above referenced hotel. To my amazement, I put in some arbitrary dates (end of Oct) and the BEST rate I could find was $359 per night! Say what? Am I missing something here?

It also stated that it is an all inclusive, which my husband says he will never do because all the food taste the same, but I thought if the price was decent, maybe we could just eat breakfast and an occassional lunch or something and explore the island for local fare. But at $359 a night...are you serious? What, is this the Taj Mahal?

Any insight into these prices? Heck, the five star Grand Lido Resorts aren't that much per night!!!!

Dawn

Costa Rica is about as wide open as it gets. They have hotels and resorts of all different shapes and sizes. The Hilton seems to be located in the same region as the FS and Marriott (both very nice and very expensive). I have stayed at the FS and it was incredible.

There are other parts of Costa Rica though that are much much cheaper and can be just as fun, if not better. We stayed in Manuel Antonio for a wedding that we were attending there of some very good friends. The hotel was small and very personal. There was a woman who worked the cabana bar/grill by the pool who was fantastic. When everyone would gather for a pre-dinner drink, she would ask what we wanted for breakfast the next day. Then she would get up at 4:30am to go the market and buy fresh food for breakfast that day. I have never had service like this, even at a FS (although not saying its overall better), not to mention the two level suite we had for less than $200 a night.

Jaimito Cartero Nov 20, 2007 9:15 am

Originally Posted by kymbakitty (Post 8760582)
I'll keep searching....there doesn't appear to be much in the Caribbean in the way of Hiltons so maybe it will be a non Hilton property this year (did I just say that?).

We stayed in the Barbados Hilton earlier this year, and enjoyed it quite a bit. However, the food was fairly expensive there. Honestly, I'd find a place that wasn't that expensive to dine, and just have fun. Fares to much of the Caribbean are cheap unless you're going during holiday periods.

marlin Nov 20, 2007 10:54 am

Barbecj-can I ask the name of the hotel in MA?

Also, back on topic, anyone have any guess as to how many points the Papagayo Hilton will go for?

Bondiboy Nov 20, 2007 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by marlin (Post 8762286)
Barbecj-can I ask the name of the hotel in MA?

Also, back on topic, anyone have any guess as to how many points the Papagayo Hilton will go for?

There has always been a special requirement for fully inclusive resorts. The only current deals are

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/.../incresorts.do

marlin Nov 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Well for 2 adults and 2 kids, no point bargain!

craz Nov 20, 2007 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by barbecj (Post 8760588)
The Hilton seems to be located in the same region as the FS and Marriott (both very nice and very expensive).

This is true only regarding the 4S. As of now there are NO open Marriott props up in Guanacaste. There is a JW being built somewhere up there but thats a couple of yrs away still.

The 2 Marriotts are at least a 5 hr drive from the Guanacaste area. 1 is a 10 min drive from the SJO airport, the other is off the road heading towards Manuel Antonio which from Guanacaste is more then 5 hrs.

PS- FWIW those 2 Marriotts are Not Inclusive Resorts, nor are they anywhere near the 4S, if I had to choose Id stay at Los Suenos which is at Playa Herradura as its very close to the Beach and offers alot more on its grounds and in the area. while the other Marriott is sort in a commerical area, far rom teh water and doesnt offer to do much to do in the immediate area at all.

Jaimito Cartero Nov 20, 2007 6:58 pm

Costa Rica All-Inclusive's

Everyone has different tastes, but I rarely find all-inclusive hotels to be much of a deal. Perhaps it's because I rarely drink any alcoholic beverages, and often the restaurants seem to be below par.

In Costa Rica, I've been to two different Barcelo properties, and even when I've gotten a local rate ($45-$55 per person), it wasn't anything to write home about.

I wonder if the Hilton policy towards your spouse free applies to all-inclusive? Book for two people, and bring one more? That might make it somewhat more appealing.

kymbakitty Nov 21, 2007 6:24 am

My husband totally agrees....

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 8765362)
Everyone has different tastes, but I rarely find all-inclusive hotels to be much of a deal. Perhaps it's because I rarely drink any alcoholic beverages, and often the restaurants seem to be below par.

In Costa Rica, I've been to two different Barcelo properties, and even when I've gotten a local rate ($45-$55 per person), it wasn't anything to write home about.

I wonder if the Hilton policy towards your spouse free applies to all-inclusive? Book for two people, and bring one more? That might make it somewhat more appealing.

Jaimito--my husband feels the same way. He doesn't drink and he is very picky about his food, only in the way that he likes very quality food, not so much picky about what....for example, he hasn't eaten at a fast food restaurant in over 30 years. So I may have a hard time with this all inclusive thing anyway.

Dawn

airplanegeek Nov 26, 2007 4:42 pm

This Hilton in the Papagayo area was formerly the Fiesta Premier. It is a highly rated property. We're headed to CR in December and had this on our short list at $235/night (all-inclusive), but it ended up being too much for us. Property will rebrand itself as a Hilton shortly.