Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Miami Downtown {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Contemplating a points stay here for November to go with a cheap flight I've just booked.

Does anyone have any recent experience? Style looks a little dated, I'm not sure about the location, and parking looks like it could be tough.

On the plus side, the reviews are generally rather positive, so...
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:20 am

Hilton Miami Downtown

Any 2014 updates from anyone? Thank you.
BJfly

Last edited by BJfly; May 4, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Old May 4, 2014, 2:03 pm

Hilton Miami Downtown

Trying again. Any updates for 2014? Thank you.
BJfly
Old May 7, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Realized I never followed up with my experience at the Miami Hilton Downtown--

Overall, a great stay. I contacted the hotel in advance by email about any specifics regarding having a pet, they replied back that there was nothing special required like documentation of shots/vaccines, etc. There are no specific rooms for travelers with pets.

In fact, we were upgraded to a top-floor bay-view room with a stunning view of Miami, Biscayne Bay, and the cruise-ship terminal.

They provided a bed and food bowl for our dog, as well as a hangtag for the door indicating there was a pet in the room. Although we didn't do it, the hotel allows you to leave the dog in the room by itself for short periods. The hangtag will alert housekeeping not to enter the room.

The staff was very friendly, helpful and courteous.

Because I had just dropped to Silver from Diamond on 1 April, no internet or breakfast was provided.

Only 3 downsides of note:

1. Because the parking garage is all concrete, no grass, etc. you must take 2 elevators to reach street level for your dog to do its business. 1 elevator to the lobby level, then another 7 floors down to the street.

2. Staff had some coordination problems in locating a Fedex package that was sent to me during my stay; it took multiple phone calls and I had to personally go to street level to find the guy who had the package to sign for it. And got charged 5 bucks as a 'package handling fee'. Not a major issue, but still something of an annoyance.

3. Parking garage is not hotel-owned, but a commercial 3rd party. As such, no in-and-out privileges, and $25 per night. Valet would have in/out privileges, but would run at least $30+ with tax and tip. Valet not an option for us because of logistics issues with our dog.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Not Canary Wharf?

haha.....no mate, I have taken him to CW twice but they charge £45 extra.......docklands is £25, so docklands get the deal they also make a fuss of him at docklands, he loves it.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report: 5/30-6/1/14

Location: The hotel is located on Biscayne Blvd (aka US 1) just north of the large cluster of buildings in Downtown Miami. It's an easy walk to the monorail and also the opera house and performing arts center. There's a Publix in walking distance as well as a couple of fast food joints (a Burger King and Checkers). I-395/FL 834 which go to Miami Beach and the Airport are half a mile away. It's a very easy and quick drive from MIA and a $24 cab ride.

Hotel: The layout is a little strange, one elevator takes you from the "Motor Lobby" where you park to the Ballroom and the Lobby and then separate elevators take you to the rooms. The lobby is large with a bar and a restaurant where breakfast is served plus sundry shop. The pool area is just off the lobby as well.

Check In: One of the most pleasant experiences I've had checking in. We had three rooms reserved and my Father and brother had already arrived before me and my other brother. We had a great interaction with two women working at the desk who were friendly and fun but made sure we were taken care of. We also got an upgrade to a Bay View room which is nice as in my experience, having a room with two beds means the least likely chance at anything nice.

Room: Two Queens on the 12th Floor with a great view (see above). Wifi worked well, though the room had a shortage of outlets. Only one near the bed in fact which is annoying. Bathroom was a little bigger than average and the shower had great water pressure and was hot. The hotel does feel a little old in the rooms but nothing that affected me.

Breakfast/Other: Golds got coupons for a full buffet in the lobby restaurant, I was told the lounge is only for Diamonds. Breakfast, however, was very good. Cold options included fruit, cheese, cold cuts, smoked salmon, vegetables, cereal, pastries (amazing croissants). Hot options were on each day scrambled eggs (with optional cheese and salsa), bacon, two types of sausage, potatoes and oatmeal. Each day had a specialty option too, the first day was cheese blintzes. Service in the restaurant was excellent. Also, we did the valet parking option ($28/day) and they were amazingly fast at getting our car from us.

All in all, a wonderful stay and I'd gladly be back.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
I saw the low rates but I am going for the Conrad Miami at Brickell. Downtown area around Bayside is going downhill very fast. I liked the area in the 80 and 90 with Latin dance nights.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Was here for a conference. Basically a 'meh' stay.

I had booked a bay view and was given a double exposure (bay and downtown) with a good view, but on a low floor. The room itself was fine, but nothing special. Housekeeping had forgotten to stock it with soap, but they were next door when I arrived so problem solved. The next day they overstocked the soap (4 new bars instead of 2).

I got the basics that golds get, except no 2x bottles of water, and I took points instead of breakfast since my conference was providing breakfast. Housekeeping never restocked the tea, but since the room has one of those coffee-maker-not-tea-maker things it didn't really matter. A colleague guested me into the lounge and I was underwhelmed.

There's an excellent wine bar about two blocks away (Bin No.18) and a couple of other food options, but otherwise not much nearby.

The most interesting thing about the place is that if you take the stairs between the Ballroom and Lobby levels, you can see two abandoned floors that apparently used to be a shopping mall. The building seems too new to have an abandoned section, but I guess it's 20+ years old now.

All in all it was OK, but I probably wouldn't go back, and it kind of reinforces my expectation that HH Gold isn't worth that much. I'll be really annoyed if I miss Marriott elite qualification by 3 nights, since there is a Marriott next door that was cheaper.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I'm currently at this property. I arrived FLL airport yesterday and collected my rental car. I was pleased with the car as it had a total of 2 miles on the odometer....meaning it was brand new. Drove straight down Biscayne Blvd from FLL and arrived at the Hilton Miami Downtown. All is good. I left the vehicle with the valet and went in for check-in.

Went to collect my car this morning to head over to Coral Gables for some personal business. Low and behold, the drivers side door had been keyed sometime between leaving the car with the valet the day before and collecting from the valet this morning. Oh, and this was not a single key scratch. Someone actually went back and forth with a key (or some scratching devise) to make a big ugly mark. I called it to the valet's attention and we did the necessary paperwork. There is zero chance this occurred anywhere else than in the Hilton parking garage where the valet park the cars. So disappointing especially since I am the first renter of this particular vehicle. We'll see how the car rental agency handles this tomorrow when I return the vehicle.

A word to the wise: Think carefully about leaving your vehicle with the valet at this property. They seem to have no control over who enters the garage and has access to the cars.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: DAL Plat, HH LT Diamond
i'm staying at this property tomorrow (Labor Day Weekend 2016)

i stayed here about 4 months ago - and the hotel is undergoing a massive refresh in the guest rooms and floors....

colors are a bit dark for me (lots of chocolate brown type colors) but to each their own.

The room I had last time had been completely updated.... was quite nice.

i'll take some pics and update monday

doug
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Is the AA arena walkable from here?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Saidoh
Is the AA arena walkable from here?
It's about a mile away and is walkable.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Just had one night here and it was okay. The work taking place is substantial though, if you want guaranteed peace and quiet then this may not be the place.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I am in the middle of a two night stay here

In a renovated room, which is modern and what you would expect.

The video behind the checkin desk is a little much if you look at it for too long.

Here is the kicker though, with the lounge closed for renovations, Diamonds receive a continental breakfast in the restaurant. Usually that would mean all the cold items.

This time, a 'continental breakfast' at he Hilton Miami is a pre-plated plate of fruit and a croissant. You cannot touch the buffet at all.

It is quite, umm...something to say the list.

I did relay my disappointment to the manager and he did offer a full buffet as an apology.

That said, any Diamonds staying here as a hoiday who look for the included breakfast as part of the budget, be warned.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I am in the middle of a two night stay here

In a renovated room, which is modern and what you would expect.

The video behind the checkin desk is a little much if you look at it for too long.

Here is the kicker though, with the lounge closed for renovations, Diamonds receive a continental breakfast in the restaurant. Usually that would mean all the cold items.

This time, a 'continental breakfast' at he Hilton Miami is a pre-plated plate of fruit and a croissant. You cannot touch the buffet at all.

It is quite, umm...something to say the list.

I did relay my disappointment to the manager and he did offer a full buffet as an apology.

That said, any Diamonds staying here as a hoiday who look for the included breakfast as part of the budget, be warned.
Any pictures? would be nice to the the room, lobby and restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.