Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale/Downtown Las Olas Area {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale/Downtown Las Olas Area {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:49 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Arrow Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale/Downtown Las Olas Area {US-FL}

There doesn't appear to be a recent thread on this, so I'll go ahead and write up this mini review. Please append to the appropriate thread if necessary.

I booked 2 nights at the Hampton Inn City Center in Fort Lauderdale.. and what an interesting property it has turned out to be.

The location itself is a mixed bag - the immediate area is business office space and a cluster of empty lots. It's also near some basics: a movie theater complex, a drugstore, and some fast food; it's also within walking distance of the central bus terminal.

Transportation Options
If you are renting a car, there is a free parking structure attached to the hotel. Also, the building has 11 floors so you can spot the "Hampton Inn" logo from a distance. If you aren't renting a car, the central bus terminal and Tri-Rail station are 2 blocks away. The #1 bus (goes to FLL airport) originates/ends at the terminal. There's also a tourist-focused trolley that runs by the area.

Food/Dining
There is no restaurant at the hotel but they do offer discounts with some restaurants within walking distance. Breakfast is complimentary every morning and the spread is impressive (except for hot food options, obviously). There's coffee and cookies in the lobby throughout the day.

Amenities
There's 3 computer terminals with printers and hi-speed internet in their "Business Center", free to use. The outdoor pool is clean, receives lots of sunshine during the day, and is shallow enough for adults with limited swimming ability. Internet access is free throughout the hotel. TV options are decent with cable and network channels.. 3 HBO channels!

Room
The rooms are generally medium-large and bed is comfortable (though not a fancy Heavenly/Sleeper/whatever bed). The bathroom sink is a bit of a letdown with limited water flow (must be part of a conservation plan) but I just ended up using the bathtub spout. Doors are a little thin - you can hear your neighbors leave/enter. Shower pressure was decent.

Overall I felt it was a good deal for the rate paid. Maybe renting a car is needed.. but YMMV.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: US - GP Hilton - Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive ELite, NW WP Silver
Is this also the Downtown location? Sounds very familiar. I stayed at the Downtown property and was impressed with it.

One thing I loved was getting a temporary direct room phone number when I was there, very easy for people to call and bypass the front desk.

The staff was very helpful and seemed to know how to treat a Diamond member.

They gave me a great list of places that delivered food, including a great Italian resteraunt that had great pizza and Tiramisu!!!
Old Sep 3, 2007, 5:31 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Yes, it's the downtown location.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Anyone stayed here recently? It seems to get rave reviews from Tripadvisor, but I am always hesitant to give the Tripadvisor reviews much weight.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: Independent
Ft Lauderdale Downtown Hampton Inn

Has anyone stayed at the FLL Hampton Inn Downtown? How close is it to Los Olas - is it walking distance? It seems to be significantly cheaper than the other HHonors properties in the area - is there something I should be aware of?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I spent one night there once, having changed from the airport Hilton, to get an extra night for requalification. It was clean enough, though the area wasn't terribly nice. It was like a trip back to the 1980s.

I'd do it again, though, probably only for 1 night. Certainly not 2.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:46 pm

I spent a month there in 2008. It's really a suboptimal location, but just about six bocks from civilization, and a bit more (ten blocks?) to Las Olas. There aren't many hotels in the area; plenty of non-recommendable motels out on the highway. I thought the Hampton was among the nicer properties in this brand. It's a high rise with a real lobby and such. Things were well-maintained.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: Independent
I guess my real goal is to just be able to go out walking along the canals. If the Hampton is quite a ways from that, what HH properties would be better suited?

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:29 am

Sorry, I don't know "canals". I guess you're referring to those waterways where the rich people park their boats when they sail up to their houses? (Sorry, don't mean to be dense here; I just haven't had any leisure time in FLL.)

My first choice would be the Gallery One Doubletree. If the elevators work, it's a good hotel, and centrally located with public transit. And it's near some of that water I describe. There's an Embassy Suites on SE 17th, it's a wee bit further from Las Olas, and the "water" in that area. But a nicer hotel than the Hampton.

There's also a "new" Hilton on SE 17th. It too should be proximate to the "water", though I haven't stayed there.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: US GP CO PP Hilton D MarriottG
The hotel is fine---you will be very close to downtown and the Federal courthouse and not the best area to walk through---but not to the point you won't want to. Las Olas on the west side of us 1 will be about a 5 - 10 minute walk and if you want the east side you will add another 10 minutes to get to the other side.

This is the closest Hilton property within walking distance of Las Olas.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
I stayed at the Ft. Lauderdale Downtown Hampton Inn earlier this week and did not care for it, mostly due to the neighborhood and related security hassles. The multilevel parking garage is protected by a large steel gate, and elevator access to any but the lobby and mezzanine levels requires a key.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/100.07.76; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I live about eleven blocks away from the hotel in question, The previous posts pretty much have nailed it - staying at a location like this has its good points and also its limitations. The immediate area is slowly gentrifying, but is several years away from critical mass, and there are some dodgy streets vety close by.

A better option for Las Olas, albeit non-HH, would be the Riverside Hotel.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Any updates on the gentrification of the area in the 7 years since this last post? Thinking of staying 2 nights pre-cruise, best price of all the HH properties, won't have a car and want to be able to walk (safely) to restaurants, etc. It will be January so dark early, too, if the area is still not great.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Any updates on the gentrification of the area in the 7 years since this last post? Thinking of staying 2 nights pre-cruise, best price of all the HH properties, won't have a car and want to be able to walk (safely) to restaurants, etc. It will be January so dark early, too, if the area is still not great.
No, it is about the same. Some gentrification did happen in some nice new apartment complexes, but they were built several blocks from the Hampton, so the immediate area is unchanged. Uber to Las Olas would probably be the best bet.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll switch to someplace else (do you know anything about the Marriott Renaissance? Harbor Beach does not have any availability on points for our dates).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.