Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is an Upgraded Room at a Hilton Garden Inn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

MyWay offers a choice to Golds and Diamonds for HGI stays: earn 750 points (worth around $3.75), or get a full breakfast for 2 and an upgraded room.

Now HGI is about my favorite brand, but just what is an upgraded room here? It seems to me that of the HGIs I've stayed at recently, all rooms are about the same size and layout, except for a few "accessible" rooms which may have more square footage but otherwise have the same features. I think some HGIs have suites, but I haven't seen any recently. From the outside, it looks like some rooms might be a foot longer, but maybe the sawtooth exterior is just a decorative feature.

Is Hilton promising something they don't deliver?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Some HGI's have Junior suites ( living room connected to the bedroom)or full suites ( ususally only a few per hotel)

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About half the time I would get a junior suite at an HGI, or else an accessible room. Either one in larger than a normal room.

I'd get this, even though I opted for the additional 750 points.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:53 pm

I have never seen an Upgrade at an HGI although Diamond and have requested it.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In some locations, it could be a Jr. Suite or a Jacuzzi / whirpool type bath.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BigLar
About half the time I would get a junior suite at an HGI, or else an accessible room. Either one in larger than a normal room.

I'd get this, even though I opted for the additional 750 points.
Did you also get full breakfast?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Of the numerous times I have stayed at a HGI, I have only once been upgraded and that was to a Jr. Suite at the LAX location.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:16 pm

I've gotten precisely one upgrade at an HGI (and that happened to be my last HGI stay, in downtown Cleveland). The upgrade in question was to a two-room suite with a minibar, though this is going to obviously vary by property, as some of the properties don't go any higher than jacuzzi rooms or junior suites, I don't believe.

Mike
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Explore
Did you also get full breakfast?
`No, because for that you need a chit, and they knew from my profile I wasn't entitled to one.

I usually blew off the breakfast anyhow and just grabbed a bagel and coffee for the car. However, sometimes they comp'd me b'fast because I was there so often.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I think most HGI's have at least a hospitality suite but some only have the one and rather than deal with guests having an upgrade and not the next time etc it is easier to just not upgrade the room. I have gotten upgrades at the St. Charles, IL to a larger Jr. Suite and the Downtown Chicago HGI has given me a regular room with a conference suite attched to it.

I dont expect an upgraded room ever at an HGI.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
HGI - Executive Lounge?

Do HGIs usually have an Exec Lounge? I just stayed at the one in Monterey and don't think there was one there.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nako
I've gotten precisely one upgrade at an HGI (and that happened to be my last HGI stay, in downtown Cleveland). The upgrade in question was to a two-room suite with a minibar, though this is going to obviously vary by property, as some of the properties don't go any higher than jacuzzi rooms or junior suites, I don't believe.

Mike
The "whirlpool with jacuzzi" room that the Folsom, CA GM arranged for us was in reality an accessible room with an almost-normal-size bathtub and shower containing jets. The square footage of the combined living room/bedroom was larger than normal. But no table or even sofa, just the normal desk and presumably the normal chair with ottoman.

The front desk said the hotel had two of these rooms. Neither was in an optimal location for quiet or view, and neither was on the top floor.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
In some locations, it could be a Jr. Suite or a Jacuzzi / whirpool type bath.
That's just what I got at the HGI Napa Valley! It was sweet...

The new HGI that opened in Dec in Charlottesville, VA has four suites in the entire hotel (I asked). However, at the HGI in Arlington, VA I was often upgraded to a larger room (a junior suite, I guess).

Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
Do HGIs usually have an Exec Lounge? I just stayed at the one in Monterey and don't think there was one there.
I've never seen one.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:26 pm

Last time I was in Rock Hill, SC, I was upgraded to a room with a Jacuzzi in the bedroom. Guess it all depends what the particular HGI has to offer in cases of upgrades.

S/F
-John
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It could be a corner room that's a little larger, it could be a suite or mini suite, it could be an accessible room they couldn't sell. It could be a beach property and be a room that faces the ocean.

I've even seen one property where I swear they were giving and selling upgrades in name only to make people feel special or collect some cash, I had stayed there previously and gotten an identical room (though on the ground floor) that was not considered an upgrade.

It could be just about anything.

If you click on accomondations on the website for that particular property, it will list (usually) the types of room(s) available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.