Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Vacation Package Booking Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat

Hilton Honnor has a Europe vacation package reward offers (Hilton Budapest 3 nights + city tours or concerts). It was 70,000 points and increased to 110,000 points in July 1, 2006.

I wanted to book the trip before the point went up but kept fogetting to call until June 30, 2006 close to midnight. The CS agent had a hardtime to understand what I want and spent a long time to find the booking code. It took a while but we got it done (possibly already passed midnight when I hand up the phone). Few days later someone contacted me to finalize the vacation package for exact dates, etc. I indicated the dates I want (March 2007). The agent came back and told me the hotel can not confirm something so far away so she did a reservation using regular points method for me for 3 nights and told me she'll be working on it when the dates are getting closer. This was around July/August 2006 time frame.

Recently, she contacted me that she worked on my vacation package reservation and confirm hotel has cleared the March 2007 reservation. The problem is now I will need to use 110,000 points, not 70,000 points. The agent told me there is no way the computer will allow her to book the package use the original point system any more.

I am not sure how the vacation package booking works so hope some FTers can share your experience. Here is my questions:

1. I understand we can book hotel reward nights based on points by the time of the booking (not the time of staying). Any difference for vacation package reward? In this case, there are two dates, one is time of booking and the other is time of hotel confirmation. At which date the points to use should be based on?

2. Sounds vacation package booking is more complicated that there is a step in the middle requires hotel confirmation. Is that same experience for FTers who have taken the vacation package? Seems it is a long wait before hotel can confirm the vacation which not very helpful for planning ahead.

It would be great if HHononrs will honor 70,000 points for the package. If not, I'll probably just have a pay stay as looking at the hotel is 120 Euro a night for lowest flexible rate unless there are other good stuff included in the package?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I never understood the value of the Budapest award. I have booked the Budapest Hilton for as low as 99 Euros (and you know this includes tax). They have a very good Diamond treatment there and I would not waste 110.000 points for that award (I would not even waste 70k points for that). A city tour in Budapest might be around 20 or 30 Euros and to be honest: In Budapest most interesting sights are in walking distance either from the Hilton or down the hill starting from the Funicular.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks Flying Lawyer for your information. Yeah, agree the points can have better use, a pay stay will be my choice now.

Last edited by wendySFO; Jan 8, 2007 at 10:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.