Search

Appropriate Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Appropriate compensation?

Hi,

Disappointed by the lack of any Gold amenity or recognition at the Springfield (IL) HI. An email to HHonors CS was answered with a generic reply and referral of my email to the Hilton Corporate Guest Assistance department.

I've received no reply from them and plan to contact them directly. Given that some HI's give HHonors points instead of an amenity, I'm thinking of asking for points as appropriate compensation. Two questions:

How many points do those HI's give in place of the Hampton Touch?

Does this seem like a fair demand?

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
250 points. Yeah, I suppose it'd be reasonable to ask for that.

The ordinary amenity is a bottle of water and a couple of cookies. I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
... The ordinary amenity is a bottle of water and a couple of cookies. I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Yeah, I know, but I booked away from the convention site specifically to stay at a Hilton property: I recognized them; they should have done something to recognize me.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CJ99
Yeah, I know, but I booked away from the convention site specifically to stay at a Hilton property: I recognized them; they should have done something to recognize me.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
What about the room and property itself? Was it a nice HI? Did you ask for a complimentary bottle of water once you found out one wasn't there?

I've had 'em forget the Hampton Touch before. If I'm thirsty or hungry, I'll just either call 'em or drop by the front desk and ask for it. Fortunately, I've never had a problem getting it. (Usually I just want a cold bottle of water...)
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: hilton-Diamond, ba, Cunard-Platinum
Not much compensation.

250 HHonors points come to about $2. Sounds to me like you have been put out a lot more than that!
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
We would be curious to have more specific details? Hearing that the Hampton fell short of meeting my elite status expectations is like hearing I had to stand in line at Walmart (imagine "ME" a Diamond, standing in line?).
Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by MIKEM
Hearing that the Hampton fell short of meeting my elite status expectations is like hearing I had to stand in line at Walmart (imagine "ME" a Diamond, standing in line?).
LOL! Thanks for a good laugh, I needed that...
Old Apr 10, 2005, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MIKEM
We would be curious to have more specific details? Hearing that the Hampton fell short of meeting my elite status expectations is like hearing I had to stand in line at Walmart (imagine "ME" a Diamond, standing in line?).
Fair enough.

Overall, no complaints about the property itself; room was a bit spartan but the "King Study" did include a nice loveseat and still had a decent-sized desk. They put me near the 'vator despite my profile preferences; this was easily remedied with a phone call. All of the recent HI improvements were in evidence, but the decor of the room still just seemed kind of "Motel Sixish."

The lobby, on the other hand, was very nice and the excellent hot breakfast was served in a renovated dining area.

Staff was polite but nothing more. And as mentioned, no evidence of any "Hampton Touch," the lack of which would be more than compensated for by 250 points.

Last edited by CJ99; Apr 10, 2005 at 8:45 pm
Old Apr 10, 2005, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by CJ99
no evidence of any "Hampton Touch," the lack of which would be more than compensated by 250 points.
Good call! ^
Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
I, too, stayed at a Hampton recently and there was no bottled water or cookies in my room. I called the front desk and inquired if that was no longer given to silver hhonors members (yes, I'm just a lowly silver). The desk clerk said yes, if you want it, come to the front desk and get it. She didn't seem too apologetic that it wasn't already provided. When I went to the front desk, she didn't even smile or say anything, she just shoved the stuff at me. I'd say she's lacking the Hampton Touch. I guess since technically I received it, I can't ask for any additional points, huh?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by vickiburton
I, too, stayed at a Hampton recently and there was no bottled water or cookies in my room. I called the front desk and inquired if that was no longer given to silver hhonors members (yes, I'm just a lowly silver). The desk clerk said yes, if you want it, come to the front desk and get it. She didn't seem too apologetic that it wasn't already provided. When I went to the front desk, she didn't even smile or say anything, she just shoved the stuff at me. I'd say she's lacking the Hampton Touch. I guess since technically I received it, I can't ask for any additional points, huh?
As a Silver, you are not entitled to the "Hampton Touch".
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:18 am

I can't believe anyone would start a thread because of missing cookies and water. They must be some killer cookies.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
Eugene, I had questioned whether I was entitled to it in the past. I had stayed at that particular Hampton and had always received 2 bottles of water and 2 packs of cookies. I even mentioned to the Gen. Mgr. once that I was "only" a silver. "Oh," she said, "That's very important to us here." That's why I asked the front desk if it was still offered to silver and she answered in the affirmative. I was perfectly willing to forego that tiny benefit if it was no longer offered to silver members. I appreciate those small gestures but would never insist on something that wasn't truly mine.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I would say that if you haven't brought up the missing Hampton Touch with the staff by check-out then drop it - perhaps a follow-up comment to the GM there, but compensation -- I don't feel this situation deserves any.
Silvers do get "recognition" on occasion. Doubletree Club in Vegas had water bottles atop an HHonors elite welcome letter on the desk in my room last year during an NAVG re-qualification stay.
As a Gold at the CAE Hampton, I was put in one of the smallest rooms I've stayed in (outside Paris); I suspect my single status (adversely) over-rode my HHonors level. I was briefly disgruntled, but decided against following up on as technically they had provided a Touch to comply with the Official Rules.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by singlemalt
I can't believe anyone would start a thread because of missing cookies and water. They must be some killer cookies.
One minute I just shake my head. Another minute I'm laughing. The biggest laugh is when he mentions the excellent breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.