Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Appropriate gift suggestions for hotel employees after staying there several months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Appropriate gift suggestions for hotel employees after staying there several months?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star

Hi,
I have been at the Hilton Easton in Columbus Ohio for roughly 3 nights/week since February. My stint in CMH is finally coming to a close in 2 weeks and I wanted to get something for the hotel employees that have been pretty great to me.
They've held dry cleaning, let me keep laundry there, altered reservations in sticky situations, given me great rooms, and just been generally super.

I want to avoid offending anyonw with an inappropriate gifts, as I am sure their tastes, etc. vary widely. In particular there are 2 front desk folks, 2 food/bev managers, and i General Manager that I'd like to get something for.

I realize this is pretty open-ended, but any suggestions based on your experiences would be very helpful!

Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:48 am

If you don't want to give cash I would suggest a gift card of some sort. Maybe from a nearby mall or a gas card from a local gas station. I would think a thank you note with cash inside would be appreciated.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GDIW
If you don't want to give cash I would suggest a gift card of some sort. Maybe from a nearby mall or a gas card from a local gas station. I would think a thank you note with cash inside would be appreciated.

i've done the above for just a weekend stay (excellent service). even received a thank you letter back.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:45 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I'm not big on giving gift cards. I know that people like them, but I don't see it being much different than cash and find it rather impersonal.

Flowers with a note. A local florist might can put together a special price for multiple arrangements to the same address.

A food, candy, or fruit basket can be nice, affordable, creative, and durable for travel. Especially nice if you put one together yourself with items that are unique to your own hometown.

Also, a positive note to their supervisors is always appreciated.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: Plat Delta
Originally Posted by sc flier
I'm not big on giving gift cards. I know that people like them, but I don't see it being much different than cash and find it rather impersonal.

Flowers with a note. A local florist might can put together a special price for multiple arrangements to the same address.

A food, candy, or fruit basket can be nice, affordable, creative, and durable for travel. Especially nice if you put one together yourself with items that are unique to your own hometown.

Also, a positive note to their supervisors is always appreciated.
Perhaps for managers, baskets or flowers are nice, but front desk staff are more likely to appreciate a gift card, imho.

Notes to supervisors/corporate are always appreciated. ^
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:42 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sc flier
I've had frequent stays at one particular Hilton over the last few years and cash is king. Yes, it's impersonal, but likely to be appreciated by hotel staff who make no money. Tip well and save the flowers for more sentimental situations. Or give both.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:15 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by liveon777
I have been at the Hilton Easton in Columbus Ohio for roughly 3 nights/week since February.
Thinking of how much revenue you have brought to that hotel, I would say that the hotel manager should concidering giving you a gift. Not the other way around...?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I do a couple of things on long stays. I due Christmas cards, if in season. I also often bring in pie, cakes etc, I give them the Dessert from dinner when I come back at night. After a while they start to look forward to it. I have never been a big fan of cash or gift cards.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Don't think about what YOU would appreciate...

If you put yourself in the shoes of someone making not too much a year, I think cash wins.

Some too expensive flowers that smell nice but will die in a few days or some cold hard cash that can actually be used to put gas in your car or pay off some bills or to take your SO out for a bite to eat.

The personal thank you note(s) are what make the gift personal. The cash signifies that you are serious about being grateful.

I remember being in grad school with student loans piling up, working a job that paid me $7 an hour and getting a $120 flower arrangment as a wedding gift.

I promised myself then that I would never give someone else a useless gift.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I'm also against the flowers thing. I would suggest a nice edible filled goody bag maybe with a gift card in it.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:18 pm

Programs: WN, Marriott, Choice
Depending on your budget, a personal note with some cash in the envelope would be nice. "Thanks for your great service, go have fun" or something to that effect is what I've done in the past.

I agree that a note of commendation is appreciated, especially at review time.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thank You note and gift card

I've always left a thank you note and a gift card.

This way the user can use it anyway they wish and its the same as cash, but not tacky.

If I know someone is deeply involved in an organization or a Charity, I'll also make a donation on their behalf.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat, AA Plat, BA Gold, etc.
Godiva chocolates and Starbucks gift cards. These usually got me into the Presidential Suite whenever I returned on random business after a long stint like that.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by heffa
Thinking of how much revenue you have brought to that hotel, I would say that the hotel manager should concidering giving you a gift. Not the other way around...?

Haha, I had just thought about that recently! The $500-$600/week I spend there certainly does add up over the months.
Checked in last night and one of the girls at the front desk commented that they would take very good care of me next week (my last week here).

Thanks, all, for the suggestions!

Looks like it'll be a mix of cash and gift cards.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=liveon777]...one of the girls at the front desk commented that they would take very good care of me next week [QUOTE]

Ooooooh, can't wait for the thrilling next installment !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.