Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Hilton Financial District {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Hilton Financial District {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kpbadger

Nods. During the evening hours yesterday speedtest didn’t even work 2 of 4 runs and during the other two measured less than 1.0 down and 0.02 up. It was unusable and I had to tether.
I stayed here for a 3 nights last October. When I booked (around this time last year) I asked them on Twitter about the WiFi and was told work was just starting on an upgrade. Obviously that is complete lies as it was totally unusable in October, and obviously totally unusable now.

My day job is doing WiFi installs in hotels - I just really struggle with the fact internet in US hotels is just so terrible. I even stayed at a brand new Holiday Inn Express in Australia a couple of weeks ago (a country which doesn't have great Internet connectivity) and could get 90Mbps up and 90Mbps down over WiFi.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: HH D
Staying at this hotel now. Premium internet has a steady 30 megabit speed up&download, all day long. Was pre-upgraded to city view executive floor room, but no room selection available. Work on anchor points for future window washing projects continues: Monday-Friday between 8am-4pm. It will cause drilling noise - but I didn't notice anything, as: only here for the weekend. This work is being carried out in front of my room, so this may explain the upgrade. Windows seem to have a grayish sun protection film, making every clouded day look much more dull than it really is.

Diamonds are allowed to have the full breakfast buffet in the restaurant with many, many options. Also received a coupon for two drinks on the house plus one appetizer, between 5-7PM. Large selection of local (=bay area) craft beers on tap included with this coupon, as well as some wines. This may be a weekend-only thing, because the lounge is on standby during the weekend. Water bottles replenished each day. I would rate my diamond freebees worth at least $100, for a three night stay, which overall makes me happy with this stay.

Almost forgot, because I asked for it in a previous post, here's my Airport BART experience. Got out at Embarcadero station. Needed some help from my phone to maneuver the city blocks. I think Montgomery would have been easier, more like walking in a straight line, but indeed busier sidewalks.

Buying a ticket at the BART station is something special, they have very sophisticated ticket machines - after all this is IT Utopia. You first need to lookup the fare on a printed table, which is $9.65. Then insert a credit/debit card into the payment machine and it will say: $20.00. Lower the amount by repeatedly pressing + or - buttons, until $9.65 or $19.30 (return) has been reached and then have your ticket printed. The trip by rail took quite some time, but not half as long as the six (!) immigration officers took to 'welcome' >1000 foreign visitors into the country.

Last edited by Sisosig; Jun 2, 2019 at 10:09 am Reason: Added BART experience
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:36 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Originally Posted by Sisosig

Almost forgot, because I asked for it in a previous post, here's my Airport BART experience. Got out at Embarcadero station. Needed some help from my phone to maneuver the city blocks. I think Montgomery would have been easier, more like walking in a straight line, but indeed busier sidewalks.

The hotel is literally between Powell and Montgomery stations and I find walking up Powell to be much busier. However YMMV.
Buying a ticket at the BART station is something special, they have very sophisticated ticket machines - after all this is IT Utopia. You first need to lookup the fare on a printed table, which is $9.65. Then insert a credit/debit card into the payment machine and it will say: $20.00. Lower the amount by repeatedly pressing + or - buttons, until $9.65 or $19.30 (return) has been reached and then have your ticket printed. The trip by rail took quiet some time, but not half as long as the six (!) immigration officers took to 'welcome' >1000 foreign visitors into the country.
These are actually the oldest machines in our system - clunky, often broken.

Last edited by squeakr; Jun 2, 2019 at 9:36 am Reason: Spellung
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Staying at this hotel now. Premium internet has a steady 30 megabit speed up&download, all day long. Was pre-upgraded to city view executive floor room, but no room selection available. Work on anchor points for future window washing projects continues: Monday-Friday between 8am-4pm. It will cause drilling noise - but I didn't notice anything, as: only here for the weekend. This work is being carried out in front of my room, so this may explain the upgrade. Windows seem to have a grayish sun protection film, making every clouded day look much more dull than it really is.

Diamonds are allowed to have the full breakfast buffet in the restaurant with many, many options. Also received a coupon for two drinks on the house plus one appetizer, between 5-7PM. Large selection of local (=bay area) craft beers on tap included with this coupon, as well as some wines. This may be a weekend-only thing, because the lounge is on standby during the weekend. Water bottles replenished each day. I would rate my diamond freebees worth at least $100, for a three night stay, which overall makes me happy with this stay.

Buying a ticket at the BART station is something special, they have very sophisticated ticket machines - after all this is IT Utopia. You first need to lookup the fare on a printed table, which is $9.65. Then insert a credit/debit card into the payment machine and it will say: $20.00. Lower the amount by repeatedly pressing + or - buttons, until $9.65 or $19.30 (return) has been reached and then have your ticket printed. The trip by rail took quite some time, but not half as long as the six (!) immigration officers took to 'welcome' >1000 foreign visitors into the country.
That particular Hilton operator seems to be rather generous with its benefits. I recently stayed at another of its hotels and as a Gold the benefits I received were WAY more than required. I thought I was in Asia. I kept it quiet because I did not want to call attention to it knowing that Hilton corporate is rumored to pound down the hammer on hotels that exceed minimum benefits in the US.

Yes, that is how all BART Machines work. Using the metro in Washington DC recently I had the same experience (though the machines may have been a bit newer they worked exactly the same way). Toggle +/- 5 or +/- 1 dollar cents 30 times to get to the fare you want. BART also has another quirk with credit card velocity limits. You can only use the same card at a BART machine (regardless of station; if you buy ticket out at Pittsburg then ride into Montgomery then want to go later from Montgomery somewhere else then return on BART your card will at some point there stop working if you buy a ticket for each ride. The velocity limit is 2 or 3 times within a 24 hour period. This is due to card skimming concerns. This is a major inconvenience. They should probably velocity limit it to same card within 7-8 hour period or something and they'd accomplish what they are trying to accomplish (not having someone standing at the station and using a stolen or skimmed card 15 times in a short period of time). What they want you to do is do a large load at one time and not buy a ticket for each trip.

The DC Metro did not have that awful velocity limit like BART has, or at least if they did it was much higher (like more than 5 transactions).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed here last night. Nice city view but super dirty windows. My co-worker was upgraded to a nice suite with a terrace.......and a terrible view of some construction site. Wifi worked good but as a Diamond I get the premium. Breakfast buffet was good and not crowded. House of Nanking is just up the street.

Would stay again.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Stayed here last night. Nice city view but super dirty windows. My co-worker was upgraded to a nice suite with a terrace.......and a terrible view of some construction site. Wifi worked good but as a Diamond I get the premium. Breakfast buffet was good and not crowded. House of Nanking is just up the street.

Would stay again.
I've stayed there about a dozen times as a Diamond and have never gotten an upgrade (other than to a high floor with a great view if only the windows had been clean). What's your co-worker's trick?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
I've stayed there about a dozen times as a Diamond and have never gotten an upgrade (other than to a high floor with a great view if only the windows had been clean). What's your co-worker's trick?
Good question.

He checked in on line and when we got to the hotel around 2:30 his room was not ready so she upgraded him on the spot to a suite. I think I was upgraded to a nicer view. 23rd floor with a view of the bay......through the dirty windows

Oh, and the TV screen was broken. Giant crack that went the entire width of the screen
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:20 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
A couple days ago, I received an e-mail from the property which read in part:

Subject: It’s Here: Brand New, Lightning-Fast Internet Exclusively For You

Utilizing the latest Cisco technology, Hilton San Francisco Financial District now delivers the fastest, most reliable Wi-Fi speed in the market. The hotel has invested over $1 million in an infrastructure overhaul of a new, state of the art, wireless internet system. After a complete re-cabling, there is a Wireless Access Point (WAP) in every guest room on the property.
It would be interesting to have a speed report from someone who has stayed there after June 17, 2019.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital
Just curious, why the preference for walking from Embarcadero over Montgomery? I am always looking for a walk with a nice view.

General note: If your luggage is heavy take a look at the online BART station maps in advance to see where the elevators are. You don't want to end up at a stairs-only exit if you will have trouble carrying things up the stairs.
If you have luggage, don't get off at Montgomery unless you don't mind dragging your luggage through, and standing in, pools of urine in the elevator like happened to us a few days ago. We ended-up dragging the bags up the stairs.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 19, 2019 at 7:46 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:50 pm

When are they gonna clean those dirty windows?!
was like that 2yrs ago also.
What a waste of what would otherwise be incredible view.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
If you have luggage, don't get off at Montgomery unless you don't mind dragging your luggage through, and standing in, pools of urine in the elevator like happened to us a few days ago. We ended-up dragging the bags up the stairs.
Don't ever take a BART elevator.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by kpbadger
A couple days ago, I received an e-mail from the property which read in part:

It would be interesting to have a speed report from someone who has stayed there after June 17, 2019.
Stayed there twice this month, but before June 17. Didn't record the speedtest results, but I can confirm both my rooms had an in-room Cisco access point. Tried to look up what type it was, it seemed to be EOL. Premium Internet speed was around 30Mbit upload and download, no matter what time of day it was. Even better: you didn't have to logon again every 24 hours.

As far as BART is concerned: for a stranger to the city it is almost impossible to locate an elevator near Montgomery Station. I would recommend taking an elevator at Powell. From the Hilton, walk south along Kearny, make a right into Market Street. Do not cross Market Street, stay on the righthand sidewalk. Walk for another five minutes, then opposite of stores of Old Navy and Levi's you'll notice an elevator. Most BART and MUNI exits do have escalators going up, but not down.

Last edited by Sisosig; Jun 20, 2019 at 6:03 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
When are they gonna clean those dirty windows?!
was like that 2yrs ago also.
Hopefully never, so we can keep this joke running in eternity!

you didn't have to logon again every 24 hours.
Well jeez, that's the selling point right there. To be frank, I haven't had markedly "slow" hotel internet since about 2009. I watch YouTube content every day and can't recall the last time I had any issue streaming in a hotel, so speed is a non-issue for me. But man, the number of times I've had client emails other other important stuff hung up due to the login cutting out after 24 hours, or the sum total of wasted time logging back in (my work PCs tend to not like to find the landing page once previously connected)...this is the value, not the speed.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Have a stay here tonight. Will try and do a speed-test. Last time i stayed here in 2018, the internet was unusable.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Windows are being cleaned and the internet is good.

arlflyer and earlyriser like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.