Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Do government rates qualify for points?
-Yes, government rate stays receive full points.
Apparent acceptable forms of government identification:
• DD Forms 2, 1173, 1173-1 (ID cards)
• Credit card issued by a government entity
-----
Will Hilton check my government ID when I check in?
-It depends:
Starting on June 14, 2019, FlyerTalk members are reporting increased scrutiny in checking for proof that guests are eligible to pay government rates to stay:
-----
FlyerTalk members report successfully bypassing the front desk when staying at a property with Digital Key enabled, thus avoiding being checked for government identification.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Hilton Government Rate Question

I want to make a reservation at a San Diego Hilton in November. I am a Federal employee and when I check government rates there is only one rate available which is "State Goverment" valid to any state, county, and city employees (not specefic to California employees). If I make my reservation under the state government rate what is the chance that #1) They even check for a government ID, and #2) They will care that I am not the correct kind of government employee. I am Gold if that makes any difference on how they check me in. Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:32 pm

As a government employee myself, I believe I can state with near certainty that your ID will be checked. That being said, though, I'd check with the hotel directly to see what their policy is, as government rates and policies are typically handled at the individual property level.

Mike
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I have never had them check whether I am a state or federal employee, although I almost always find a room at the federal rate. BTW, there are many Hiltons in San Diego. My favorite is the Hilton Resort at Mission Bay. I would check all of the Hiltons to see which has Govt rate rooms available.

By the way. The following thread is a discussion on whether to start a Govt Traveller forum. Please add your two cents
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577226

Last edited by mazzer; Jul 24, 2006 at 7:07 pm
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
The Hilton on Mission Bay is exactly where I want to stay. Last time I was in San Diego I went jet skiing there and I knew I would have to stay there on my next trip out! I'll check out the govt thread.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Try calling the hotel, as they may be able to offer you a room at the federal government rate. In my experiences, the only times we've been asked to show ID have been when we didn't have it on us.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kipper
Try calling the hotel, as they may be able to offer you a room at the federal government rate. In my experiences, the only times we've been asked to show ID have been when we didn't have it on us.
I second this one, and I have found the Mission bay Hilton quite receptive in the past.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:21 pm

I booked a State rate once (when I was a Federal employee) at the HIlton in Santa Cruz. They checked my ID and told me "rack rate or the highway: no Federal rates available". That's the only time it ever happened, partially because I learned my lesson.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:46 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Usually it's the other way around....

Originally Posted by uva185
I want to make a reservation at a San Diego Hilton in November. I am a Federal employee and when I check government rates there is only one rate available which is "State Goverment" valid to any state, county, and city employees (not specefic to California employees). If I make my reservation under the state government rate what is the chance that #1) They even check for a government ID, and #2) They will care that I am not the correct kind of government employee. I am Gold if that makes any difference on how they check me in. Thanks!

I'm a state employee and often we find federal rates available. I would never book a federal rate as a state employee...I simply wouldn't consider doing it. Someone once said on this board, "just play dumb if they ask." Yah, right. Like state/federal workers aren't made to look dumb enough on their own...and to add that we can't tell the difference between a federal and state rate--no thanks.

Having said that, we always call and check to see if they have any state (since they obviously have federal) and most times they say "no." But every once in awhile they will say yes and we definitely get their NAME, the date and time we spoke w/them in case we get any cr*p checking in.

And yes, my ID is always checked. But that is probably because I use tax exempt forms, which 90% of the hotels accept.

Dawn
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:47 am

I'd also suggest checking other rates, as I've found that in some cases, the AAA rate or some such is cheaper than the government rate.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Can someone explain why Government Rates exist? Do US government employees not earn enough money and thus the hotels sympathetically lower their rates for them?

And what's with AAA rates? Isn't AAA some sort of car repair service?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:33 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Karter
Can someone explain why Government Rates exist? Do US government employees not earn enough money and thus the hotels sympathetically lower their rates for them?

When people travel on government business, they are allowed a "per diem" rate. This rate allows for food and lodging as established by the GSA. Every city can have a different rate.

Hotels offer a rate that will allow a government traveler to stay at their hotel and still have enough for meals.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:51 am

The government rates are rates at which government employees, when traveling on business, can expect the government to pay. Some government agencies may cover only that amount. The rate changes by city/county/state, and even by day/month. Government employees are also given a per diem amount for food. It's no different than companies negotiating rates for their employees at hotels, and giving employees a per diem for each day they are out of the office on business. The employees are able to spend more on food, but it is out of their own pocket.

As far as AAA deals, since AAA also offers maps, guidebooks, and directions, hotels will offer an AAA rate, available with proof of membership, as a way to encourage AAA customer business. They'll advertise that the discount is available in the AAA guidebooks.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:06 am

Regarding Federal govt. rates, I will only add that hotels can decide whether or not they want government business, simply by making a choice of whether to offer a rate that is equal to or less than the established per diem amount. But if they choose to offer a government rate - since that's pretty much the only way they will get (Federal) government business, they probably don't want to go that low for anyone else if they don't have to. There are exceptions of course - certain locations that actually offer other rates that are lower than the government per diem, but I'm talking about those locations where the per diem rate is significantly lower than the rates generally offered by the hotel.

And what about AARP/senior rates?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: HHonors, Delta, AA, United
I'm a federal employee and I rarely get asked for id, even when using tax exempt forms. I have booked state govt rates with no problems.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:52 am

I am also a federal employee. I have been asked for ID every time I can remember booking a federal government rate. I have seen some hotels offer different rates for federal or state/local employees. Personally, I wouldn't book a rate if I didn't meet the eligibility criteria. I'd rather look for an alternate rate for which I did qualify (e.g., AAA or AARP, etc.). My employer would definitely frown on using an ineligible rate. I would try to call the hotel directly, though, and ask if they have a federal rate available. Sometimes the website is just not complete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.