Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Do government rates qualify for points?
-Yes, government rate stays receive full points.
Apparent acceptable forms of government identification:
• DD Forms 2, 1173, 1173-1 (ID cards)
• Credit card issued by a government entity
-----
Will Hilton check my government ID when I check in?
-It depends:
Starting on June 14, 2019, FlyerTalk members are reporting increased scrutiny in checking for proof that guests are eligible to pay government rates to stay:
-----
FlyerTalk members report successfully bypassing the front desk when staying at a property with Digital Key enabled, thus avoiding being checked for government identification.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Tocsin
That last restriction is a bit hard for us doing or supporting Reserve working weekends (though it's a Sunday night that I tend to break my 300 mile journey home...)
I just checked the Hilton properties in my area for a random Sat night in July. Of the 13 that had rooms available, only one (an ES) didn't offer a Gov't/Military rate for that single night.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA and UA aluminium foil, Hilton gold
Documentation for Vets?

Hilton's Military Family Rate states it is for active or retired military and veterans. Anyone know what "ID" is required for a veteran? DD214 I believe is the discharge papers. Would this suffice since there is no other "military ID" for a veteran?

Many thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
Word has come from on high at Hilton that guests booking at Government rates will be asked for documentary evidence of that they are on government business and, if that isn't produced, the guest will be charged the average room rate for their stay. Also, most properties have recently made government rates unavailable on Friday and Saturday nights - unless weekday nights are included in the same reservation.
I just sent a PM to Lauren to comment on what would be a HUGE change. Trying to get something in writing from some gov't agencies in a timely manner can be problematic for last minute trips and also as noted some official travel is over weekends.

I asked Lauren to delay her wedding until she could figure this out
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
I just sent a PM to Lauren to comment on what would be a HUGE change. Trying to get something in writing from some gov't agencies in a timely manner can be problematic for last minute trips and also as noted some official travel is over weekends.
Have there been any specific developments beyond the post from 2 months ago that motivated this action?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:06 pm

Would like to know if it is true or not. Lauren said in her PM back to me that she had not heard anything about this but would check next week.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I have been migrating from state govt rates to AAA for my locations because they are trending cheaper.

I also have been choosing locations with digital key and do not even stop at the front desk.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:43 pm

Would like to know if it is true or not. Lauren said in her PM back to me that she had not heard anything about this but would check next week.
Well I am sure that "tighten govt. ID check requirements" will be added to the to-do list on some middle manager's whiteboard sometime next week.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rjmaype
I also have been choosing locations with digital key and do not even stop at the front desk.
I recently stayed, legitimately on government rates, at two properties I'd never stayed at before. Both offered digital key, but after checking in via the app and picking my room, it told me my digital key was unavailable and to visit the front desk to complete check-in. In both cases the front desk associates told me it was to verify my government ID, but now that they had done so they would annotate their system so I wouldn't have to go through that step again in the future. Sure enough, I stayed at one of them again a few weeks later and the digital key worked as usual.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by nadaranch
Hilton's Military Family Rate states it is for active or retired military and veterans. Anyone know what "ID" is required for a veteran? DD214 I believe is the discharge papers. Would this suffice since there is no other "military ID" for a veteran?

Many thanks.
Yes, your DD-214 should suffice. I would imagine you could just save a PDF of it on your phone. I've never been asked to provide proof of being eligible and use this quite often (though I'm retired so have that ID)
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:57 am

Heard back from Lauren with this message

"Wanted to get back to you before I'm out for real --

Spoke to the appropriate teams and we're not aware of any recent Hilton policy to this effect.

Hope that helps - have a great rest of the week. Reach out if you have any other questions,

Lauren"
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:31 pm

Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Downtown Denver under a state government rate. Legitimate - had ID and paperwork but wasn't asked for either.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
Word has come from on high at Hilton that guests booking at Government rates will be asked for documentary evidence of that they are on government business and, if that isn't produced, the guest will be charged the average room rate for their stay. Also, most properties have recently made government rates unavailable on Friday and Saturday nights - unless weekday nights are included in the same reservation.
I find this to be completely inaccurate and non-credible information.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:20 pm

Just curious why the contractor rate is lower than regular fed or state govt rate? also is it saying id and travel orders or id or travel orders?

(see attached
image)
Old May 23, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The govt rate is normally tied to the official govt per diem rate. Contractor's aren't supposed to use govt rates and those prices aren't always the same (although most of the time when I look, they are higher than govt per diem). On my task we never get travel orders but I do have a govt ID that I can show. I've never been asked for travel orders using the contractor rate but suppose I could show them an email showing I'm on official travel.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Had anyone been asked to show travel order when checking into a Hilton? I am working in a state government position that travel orders are not something we do while we are on a business trip.
Rate planPrice per night (USD)
  • GOVERNMENT RATE ON DUTY TRAVEL ID-TRAVEL ORDERS REQUIRED

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.