Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison {US-WI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison {US-WI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison {US-WI}

I saw the big DoubleTree sign on the former Howard Johnson hotel near UW-Madison campus. It's a pretty convenient location. A nice addition to the Hilton Family.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Goldpointsplus Gold, Avis First
Doubletree Hotel Madison

I am considering a long stay in Madison in August. Does anyone have any firsthand experience at this property? Any information would be appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:14 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
I just stayed there.

No real upgrades, most rooms are about the same at this hotel. As a gold, I was given free breakfast in the restaurant, you just order anything on the menu, and a drink and it's free. I had free drink coupons for the evening as well. It has an indoor pool, but I didn't use it.

The parking at the property is free. Great location for visiting UW-Madison. Nice walk to the campus. If you need restaurant recommendations, or information on the city, I just graduated from UW-Madison.

I would recommend this hotel for the location, free parking, and good breakfast.

Cheers,

Timo
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:25 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum, United Premier *wood Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz PC
I'd second that. Good property plus I don't think there are a lot of other options in the immediate area. Walking distance to all college bars and eateries as well.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:08 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by timo469
I just stayed there.

No real upgrades, most rooms are about the same at this hotel. As a gold, I was given free breakfast in the restaurant, you just order anything on the menu, and a drink and it's free. I had free drink coupons for the evening as well. It has an indoor pool, but I didn't use it.

Timo
Stayed there last August. As a Diamond I was upgraded to a roomy suite. As noted, no lounge, but full breakfast free in the restaurant. Restauarnt (breakfast or dinner) is mediocre at best.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:31 pm

I stayed at the Doubletree Madison for five nights on a business trip. It was my first trip to Madison and I was quite impressed with the hotel. The hotel provides free wireless internet with free printing capability at the front desk via the internet. The rooms also include free bottled water, two snack mixes per day, and Neutrogena toiletries, including face cleanser, facial moisturizer, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash, and a sewing kit (complete with scissors). The staff is great and the rooms are nice and clean. It was a pleasant surprise!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
Very nice property

We have had several very nice stays at the Doubletree in Madison. Nearly new, clean property with very good staff. Elite benefits honored, but no concierge lounge - good breakfast for free in the lobby restaurant as HHonors gold - you can order anything on the menu except steak and eggs - lots of good choices. Parking is free in their rooftop lot. You can't beat the location for any business you need to transact either on the UW campus or downtown.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
I feel like I was at a different hotel...

Unless you're interested in sleeping in the same neighborhood as your kids at the university, I'd avoid this place. It's nice that it's close to State St., but it's even closer to loud drinking establishments for college students. And even with the windows closed in mid-October, I heard them very late into the night.

Also, I heard a constant and horribly loud fan noise from my room. The bellhop came to my room at 11PM, confirmed that it was really irritating, but could do nothing about it. I was told that no one had ever complained about that room in the past (301) and they didn't know what the sound was anyway. It was borderline unbearable. I've stayed over 60 nights in hotels this year and this one was the worst. (Two nights earlier I was in the Hampton Inn on the west side of town with zero complaints so it's not as if I have the most luxurious standards.)

There were no other rooms available in the hotel so they offered me free breakfast to accommodate me. I travel for business, don't pay for my own food, and had a 6 AM flight to catch. So this was a meaningless gesture. And that was that.

I can imagine someone having a better experience so the other posts here don't seem impossible to believe. But the idea that it's in an ideal neighborhood is a stretch from my perspective. If I were to stay downtown again (I'm usually in the only Sheraton in town), I'd go for something nearer the capitol.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:06 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
The original post seems a bit dated - years old but since I travel to Madison a couple times a month, I thought I'd chime in. I stay at the Doubletree when the Hilton Monona Terrace is full (which is a nicer place to stay - the Chophouse restaurant has great food and great service). I have never had any problems with noise at the Doubletree - no real complaints at all. The restaurant only has sports bar-ish food but it's edible - it's in, as you can guess, a sports bar. I would recommend any one of the many good food joints in the area (Tornado is becoming a favorite lately). Outside of the two Hiltons there is the Madison Concourse Hotel (3rd choice after the Hiltons). Stay on the Govenor's club level and get free drinks in the lounge. Avoid the Best Western on the square - very dorm roomish

Cheers
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:54 am

I've stayed here a couple of times in the past two years for a Badger football game. It's always been nice and I didn't notice any noise problems. I always got my upgraded room and free breakfast as a gold without asking. I thought the location is great. It's close to State Street and the Kohl Center.

It also seems to be a good use of points, at least during football season. The rates seem to be around $160-180 and it's a category 3 hotel. It might not be so good after the changes in January though
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by spd476
I've stayed here a couple of times in the past two years for a Badger football game.
I can see it working for this (with a better room than I received). But after a week of tough business, a college neighborhood didn't do it for me. I suppose expectations and context really matter.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by morerainplease
I heard a constant and horribly loud fan noise from my room. The bellhop came to my room at 11PM, confirmed that it was really irritating, but could do nothing about it. I was told that no one had ever complained about that room in the past (301) and they didn't know what the sound was anyway. It was borderline unbearable. I've stayed over 60 nights in hotels this year and this one was the worst. (Two nights earlier I was in the Hampton Inn on the west side of town with zero complaints so it's not as if I have the most luxurious standards.)

There were no other rooms available in the hotel so they offered me free breakfast to accommodate me. I travel for business, don't pay for my own food, and had a 6 AM flight to catch. So this was a meaningless gesture.
I just had a pleasant and reasonable chat with the GM of the hotel and he made the situation right. I'm still not crazy about being across the street from a university dorm, but I feel reassured that the management here has it together.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by morerainplease
I can see it working for this (with a better room than I received). But after a week of tough business, a college neighborhood didn't do it for me. I suppose expectations and context really matter.
This is a pretty solid DT (I stay there about 1-2 times a month), especially if work takes you to the university. They have pretty generous benefits for elites (full breakfast buffet and one free alcoholic beverage every night of your stay), which is a nice touch. I do prefer the Hilton, where they are really good to me as a repeat customer, something that the DT doesn't really recognize.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HHonors Gold
DOUBLE POINTS: Madison, WI--Doubletree

Hi Everyone,

2nd post ever for me so i apologize if this is in the wrong place but I have been reading these forums for a while but never contributed so I figured I would join and try and contribute where I can.

Doubletree in Madison, WI is offering a promotion for double points until March 31st.

Nice little bonus with the 1-5K Q1 bonus that Hilton is currently running. I didn't think it allow me to double dip, but it did!!!

Hope this helps!!! If I posted this in the wrong section let me know!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:45 pm

This is a COVID-19-era stay, so keep that in mind. It's been a great stay. As others have noted, the hotel is near State Street (food, drink, shopping, entertainment) but, right now, with the University running below student capacity and some places closed/limited operations and no major sporting events, there hasn't been a noise problem. The restaurant is open three meals, though with a limited menu. They set up outdoor seating on the sidewalk on Marion Street (quiet). Diamond breakfast is one entree and coffee. The refurbished and very nice fitness center is open. Staff has been great. Here I include front desk, restaurant, housekeeping, and engineering.

For a business trip, the Hilton is likely to be a better location (I realize now), and it is cheaper these days, but I'm quite happy here, weighted heavily on the better fitness center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.