Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maglev
I grew up on Maui, and remember "Wailea" when it was dirt road and kiawe trees. I can't believe there are actually plans to make this hotel bigger.

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...U2nuhKTcBHfffE
Given the increase in demand for Maui travel -- and the lack of new hotels to meet that demand -- I can certainly believe this project has been proposed. The fact that the new owners paid an astonishing $1.1 billion for the property last year certainly factors into that belief -- they've got to make their money back somehow!

While I already think this property is too large to be enjoyable, that doesn't mean I oppose the expansion. The owners have the right to do what they want on their land as long as they don't harm others. The opponents give a new definition to NIMBY. Let's call it NOMI: Not on My Island. Their arguments aren't compelling. Ancient burial grounds? Heck, that's every beach in Hawaii. So I guess nothing ever gets built? This hotel was already built. Better to expand than develop someplace new. Keep the tourists where they are. Isn't tourism Hawaii's main business? Do these guys want to get into heavy industry, manufacturing and finance?

Shame about the Wedding Chapel. That's one of the prettiest things at the property. But, hey, it's their chapel not mine.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
Checked in here a few hours ago. Booked Terrace view on points (95,000 points a nights for 7 nights). Was upgrade morning before arrival to deluxe ocean view. (I had been checking leading up and the hotel was sold out and only terrace was available through diamond guarantee) but checked again in the evening and room changed to Napua club room. Went from a king room to two queens, but we were ok with that given we now have access to Napua.

Diamond breakfast is a continental with the option to upgrade to full buffet for $27. Doubt we will upgrade; between diamond breakfast and continental Napua breakfast (not sure if they will be different at all) I think we should be happy
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by United16
Checked in here a few hours ago. Booked Terrace view on points (95,000 points a nights for 7 nights). Was upgrade morning before arrival to deluxe ocean view. (I had been checking leading up and the hotel was sold out and only terrace was available through diamond guarantee) but checked again in the evening and room changed to Napua club room. Went from a king room to two queens, but we were ok with that given we now have access to Napua.

Diamond breakfast is a continental with the option to upgrade to full buffet for $27. Doubt we will upgrade; between diamond breakfast and continental Napua breakfast (not sure if they will be different at all) I think we should be happy
Please let us all know if you do indeed have access to the Napua lounge (did they tell you that you did or did not?). A while back someone said they had also been upgraded to the Napua Tower but had no lounge access (or maybe they were told they had to pay an additional fee if they wanted that).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by United16

Booked through Costco for the breakfast package, and somehow luckily was upgraded to Napua Tower. The main breakfast buffet downstairs was definitely better but I wouldn't pay $27/person more than once a week. The Napua Tower still had a decent breakfast with hot foods too. We also took advantage of the early morning breakfast bags too. It was perfect for the early morning sunrise at Haleakala

Please let us all know if you do indeed have access to the Napua lounge (did they tell you that you did or did not?). A while back someone said they had also been upgraded to the Napua Tower but had no lounge access (or maybe they were told they had to pay an additional fee if they wanted that).
i don't see how it's possible to get upgrade to Napua Tower but not have access to the Napua lounge? Did they try to get drinks and were not on the list?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
yes we have access to the lounge. I would think if your room is through the gates to the tower, you’d have access. Was given a specific room card that says Napua Tower on it and was name checked on a list when getting a cocktail
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:03 pm

Then that's a terrific complimentary upgrade - home I'm as lucky.

Is your room noisy from atrium noise carrying up?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Then that's a terrific complimentary upgrade - home I'm as lucky.

Is your room noisy from atrium noise carrying up?
only noticed noise a few times so far, but was from people walking past our room
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
That is an amazing upgrade, especially for a seven night stay, ESPECIALLY if a couple of the nights were showing as sold out! That is fantastic. We are going to be visiting for the first time from Wednesday, June 19th and checkout Wednesday, June 26th. A couple of the nights show sold out so I had no hopes to be bumped up from Terrace View...it is probably better to keep my hopes in check though :-) Thank you for your review.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by wally5505
That is an amazing upgrade, especially for a seven night stay, ESPECIALLY if a couple of the nights were showing as sold out! That is fantastic. We are going to be visiting for the first time from Wednesday, June 19th and checkout Wednesday, June 26th. A couple of the nights show sold out so I had no hopes to be bumped up from Terrace View...it is probably better to keep my hopes in check though :-) Thank you for your review.
Yes, I agree, a great upgrade...so they did not ask you to pay $25 or $50 or $100 or more per night for the Napua Tower, it was totally free?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:10 pm

Correct, upgrade was received prior to arrival. I checked the app the night before and the room and been changed to Napua Tower. I went to the desk to check in and the lady thanked me for being diamond, said she saw I booked the terrace room with points but I had been upgraded to Napua Tower. She advised it was 2 queens rather than 1 king and asked if That was ok or if I wanted her to move me back to the regular king room. Gladly will take the smaller bed for Napua lounge access lol
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:20 am

Well that is great to hear! As I said, I will keep my expectations in check, but absolutely happy for you. That is an awesome score! I have been lurking around here for years reading and have never posted. Due to a change in my position at work a couple years ago, I travel an absolute ton now, so I have basically went all-in with Hilton and now that we have diamond status it seemingly made me kick my vacation planning up about 10 levels.

I have probably over planned this one. We are flying from Columbus, OH to LAX to stay at the Beverly Hills WA for two nights (this is basically to break up the flight and the time change into two sections because our 9 and 11 year olds are coming with us. Then on Wednesday we go to the Grand Wailea for the seven nights. Then, because I found an amazing price with Alaska, we are flying back into San Jose and staying at the Curio branded Juniper for two nights before coming home to Ohio. The Beverly Hills WA and Juniper were both mind-blowingly fantastic about upgrades, by the way. I had called the Juniper about room options for upgrading and the nice gentleman actually talked me through it (paraphrasing slightly) " Well, since you are diamond, I can comp you up to this junior suite. Since you would be in a junior suite, the price to upgrade to our biggest and best suite would only be $33. I highly recommend it and we only have two of those left if you want me to go ahead and reserve that upgrade for you, Mr. Johnson". It was awesome. Staying two nights at a San Jose Curio on a Wednesday/Thursday is obviously a lot different than staying seven nights at a Wailea Waldorf :-)

While I am rambling, do any of you have any food recommendations? Here is what I have, based highly on one of my dear friends' recommendations:
Monkey Pod
Lahaina Grill
Tommy Bahama (to be honest, I basically booked this simply because their desserts looked insane)
Humu Humu (not sure about this. The reviews are definitely just so-so).
Luau (recently upgraded to the premium tickets based on reviews)

Anyway, thank you all for being awesome and teaching me so much about all of the destinations I have ever considered. Glad to be a contributing member of your society now. Lol.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Is there any way to use my aspire 250 resort fee credit which expires at the end of October for a points stay in December.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by wally5505
While I am rambling, do any of you have any food recommendations? Here is what I have, based highly on one of my dear friends' recommendations:
Monkey Pod
Lahaina Grill
Tommy Bahama (to be honest, I basically booked this simply because their desserts looked insane)
Humu Humu (not sure about this. The reviews are definitely just so-so).
Luau (recently upgraded to the premium tickets based on reviews)

Anyway, thank you all for being awesome and teaching me so much about all of the destinations I have ever considered. Glad to be a contributing member of your society now. Lol.
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

Check out Da Kitchen. I really enjoyed the food there. Pretty big portions too. The parking lot is a little small though. The restaurant is in a strip mall near the airport, so depending on your arrival or departure, it would make the most sense to go there while you're in the area. Another popular spot is Star Noodle in Lahaina. You'll want to make a reservation well in advance as it gets pretty busy. If you're in the mood for poke, you can't go wrong with Foodland (grocery store). It's a great value there, especially if you order by the pound.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by shanna135
Is there any way to use my aspire 250 resort fee credit which expires at the end of October for a points stay in December.
The only thing I can think of would be to charge and pre-pay something in advance. Unfortunately I don't know what that something would be.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:51 pm

Thank you for the welcome and thank you even more for the tips!!! You are now the third person who has recommended Da Kitchen. It looks like there is in on Kehei?! That would be much easier to do. I am worried about the kids after the long flight. Star Noodle I have read a ton about and sounds like maybe would be a good lunch spot to check out.

Anyway, sincerely, thank you very much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.