Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:35 pm

I think the GW is now off of our list. We use to stay once every year or so on points, but not anymore. The hotel is going downhill, but the points are going through the roof. With the Points & Money option now, I think they are trying to generate revenue through this avenue.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by trubador
Is there a secret to actually getting a decent redemption here?
Check regularly, especially for off seasons like fall. The lower points do pop up but don't last long.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: US. HH Diamond but chasing Hyatt
Originally Posted by trubador
Is there a secret to actually getting a decent redemption here?
Be vigilant. Don't ever assume that a date will not come open. Keep your eyes peeled.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
We stayed over the 4th of July last summer at the 70k point level...it may have been luck but we booked it at 9 months out...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:19 pm
Original Member

We have booked a week over 4th of July in a Napua Club King room and a Napua suite (deliberately not connected). Taking our godchild, his wife, two kids (8 and 11). The cost is, of course, hefty ... and never seems to end. $600 a day for a cabana (we've booked for five days), $30 a day parking, resort fee on top of room charge, $100 a day per kid for children's program (half days available at reduced charge). With kids in tow, I am happy to pay the higher rates for the Napua Tower ensuring we can all get breakfast plus snacks and drinks all day long.

I am not very price sensitive but I begin to feel discouraged and, well, gouged. Yes, I know Wailea is exorbitant and I knew that going into the booking. Nevertheless, I begin to feel like a cash cow. The room charge alone for the six of us in a Napua suite and room is $18K for seven nights.

Any tips to maximize our stay? Not talking about savings (hah!) rather upgrades, added amenities/benefits and the like.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I think you can buy a heck of a lot of snacks and drinks to store in your room for whatever difference standard and Napua at $18K is at an ABC store. That seems to be your choice. And you can negotiate the cabanas down if they are not busy.

If your kids are going to be gone most of the time at the kids programs at $200/day when will they eat all those snacks, anyway?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by KatW
We have booked a week over 4th of July in a Napua Club King room and a Napua suite (deliberately not connected). Taking our godchild, his wife, two kids (8 and 11). The cost is, of course, hefty ... and never seems to end. $600 a day for a cabana (we've booked for five days), $30 a day parking, resort fee on top of room charge, $100 a day per kid for children's program (half days available at reduced charge). With kids in tow, I am happy to pay the higher rates for the Napua Tower ensuring we can all get breakfast plus snacks and drinks all day long.

I am not very price sensitive but I begin to feel discouraged and, well, gouged. Yes, I know Wailea is exorbitant and I knew that going into the booking. Nevertheless, I begin to feel like a cash cow. The room charge alone for the six of us in a Napua suite and room is $18K for seven nights.

Any tips to maximize our stay? Not talking about savings (hah!) rather upgrades, added amenities/benefits and the like.
The idea of spending $18K to spend a week at GW blows my mind.

Napua Tower isn't that big a deal - it is typical hotel lounge food. I was upgraded my first time at GW and turned down an offer to upgrade for $100/night second time.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Member

Gee, thanks everybody.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:30 pm

Gee, thanks everybody.
You're welcome...you said you thought what you are paying was ridiculous, we're just affirming that.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Not to pile on, but $18K a week is a very nice VRBO/AirBnb rental, possibly beachfront, and lots of food regardless.

I'm hard pressed to see how this property is worth that.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Not to pile on, but $18K a week is a very nice VRBO/AirBnb rental, possibly beachfront, and lots of food regardless.

I'm hard pressed to see how this property is worth that.

Agree 100%. You could do much much better for that amount of cash. Have you looked into renting a house in your favorite part of the island?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:23 pm

This is a very poor use of travel funds IMO. So many better options you could have gone with, some of which have already been suggested.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Member

Allow me to walk you through my thinking.

First, this choice was prompted by wanting to give the kids a memorable experience. They don't travel much. Live in Brooklyn, parents in high-stress jobs. Thus these attributes are important:
-- pools (GW has nine, water slides, lazy river, etc.)
-- other kids, check
-- excellent beach ON SITE so no driving around, check
-- lots of room to run around, check
-- family friendly, check
-- Hawaiian activities/experiences, check
-- kids program, check
-- easy access to drinks, snacks, check
-- lavish (by kid notion) resort experience, check

For the adults, four of us:
-- adult pool, check
-- gardens and flowers, check
-- the usual grown-up stuff (libations, quality service, good food, entertainment, etc.), check
-- a suite for the family so the parents have their open bedroom, check
-- a separate room for the two of us, check
-- easy access to breakfast, drinks, snacks, concierge, check
-- a modestly upscale resort, check
-- opportunities for the parents to have time, even dinner, on their own, check
-- resort experience (room service, no cooking, no cleaning, no bed-making), check
-- no shopping!, check

Many attributes listed above are available at most mid-level to upscale venues. But, the beach and the elaborate pools complex make the GW choice inevitable. Another candidate was FS Hualalai on the big island but there really isn't a beach and it's even more expensive. I confess straight off the bat I'd stay at GW when hell freezes over were this respite for me and Jim. Condo and house rentals don't tick much of the lists above.

Other thoughts:

My husband Jim, 74, has dementia and I need to look after him all the time, not available to also keep tabs on kids. We have found that the more upscale the property, the better Jim and I both manage. Cuts stress way way down. My health is up and down, never know when I'll have a lupus flare so important to have access to concierge and management assistance; cabana also important although sun exposure, if well managed, is not an issue (SLE).

I provide this level of detail to elucidate my choice of GW. Not to prompt a debate. Useful tips on how to leverage our GW experience welcome. Actually, any kindly thoughts welcome. Despite how much you disagree with my choice, please understand I don't require your validation yet if you can supply useful tips for kids and adults, too, I'd tickled.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 29, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:04 pm

Allow me to walk you through my thinking.

First, this choice was prompted by wanting to give the kids a memorable experience. They don't travel much. Live in Brooklyn, parents in high-stress jobs. Thus these attributes are important:
-- pools (GW has nine, water slides, lazy river, etc.)
-- other kids, check
-- excellent beach ON SITE so no driving around, check
-- lots of room to run around, check
-- family friendly, check
-- Hawaiian activities/experiences, check
-- kids program, check
-- easy access to drinks, snacks, check
-- lavish (by kid notion) resort experience, check

For the adults, four of us:
-- adult pool, check
-- gardens and flowers, check
-- the usual grown-up stuff (libations, quality service, good food, entertainment, etc.), check
-- a suite for the family so the parents have their open bedroom, check
-- a separate room for the two of us, check
-- easy access to breakfast, drinks, snacks, concierge, check
-- a modestly upscale resort, check
-- opportunities for the parents to have time, even dinner, on their own, check
-- resort experience (room service, no cooking, no cleaning, no bed-making), check
-- no shopping!, check

Many attributes listed above are available at most mid-level to upscale venues. But, the beach and the elaborate pools complex make the GW choice inevitable. Another candidate was FS Hualalai on the big island but there really isn't a beach and it's even more expensive. I confess straight off the bat I'd stay at GW when hell freezes over were this respite for me and Jim. Condo and house rentals don't tick much of the lists above.

Other thoughts:

My husband Jim, 74, has dementia and I need to look after him all the time, not available to also keep tabs on kids. We have found that the more upscale the property, the better Jim and I both manage. Cuts stress way way down. My health is up and down, never know when I'll have a lupus flare so important to have access to concierge and management assistance; cabana also important although sun exposure, if well managed, is not an issue (SLE).

I provide this level of detail to elucidate my choice of GW. Not to prompt a debate. Useful tips on how to leverage our GW experience welcome. Actually, any kindly thoughts welcome. Despite how much you disagree with my choice, please understand I don't require your validation yet if you can supply useful tips for kids and adults, too, I'd tickled.
Honestly, we loved the property...but I just don't think you need to spend that upcharge for the Napua tower to have a wonderful time. What would a regular suite and a regular room cost? What would snacks and breakfast cost? I just can't see the value in the Napua, that's all. No one is saying not to stay at that property. You can just stay there for much, much less.

And if you do plan on renting the cabana every day, by all means negotiate down from whatever the full price is. I asked costs, they told me, I said "no thanks", they said, well, how about this...(I don't want to say what it was since time of year, day of week, YMMV, but they made us an offer we couldn't refuse). If you're going during a very busy time well I guess it will be full price, but the other days we found lots of shade at regular chairs down at the main pool (the adult pool is pretty much full sun all the time).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:24 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Honestly, we loved the property...but I just don't think you need to spend that upcharge for the Napua tower to have a wonderful time. What would a regular suite and a regular room cost? What would snacks and breakfast cost? I just can't see the value in the Napua, that's all. No one is saying not to stay at that property. You can just stay there for much, much less.

And if you do plan on renting the cabana every day, by all means negotiate down from whatever the full price is. I asked costs, they told me, I said "no thanks", they said, well, how about this...(I don't want to say what it was since time of year, day of week, YMMV, but they made us an offer we couldn't refuse). If you're going during a very busy time well I guess it will be full price, but the other days we found lots of shade at regular chairs down at the main pool (the adult pool is pretty much full sun all the time).
Thank you, Eujeanie. Breakfast, snacks and drinks are very pricey at GW. Yes, I could shop at ABC but I WILL NOT SHOP FOR GROCERIES on vacation. So after evaluating costs and convenience, Napua may not exactly net out over all (yet close); the convenience factor is huge and makes it worthwhile for us.

I have noted the several responses emphasizing ridiculous cost. Thus, our travel agent has been asked to negotiate with management, considering our overall spend. Discounted cabana and suite upgrade at the top of the list.

I'll let you know. And, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.