Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Previous user was not accurate IMO. Plenty of people on this thread got Xmas space when it opened up in January. Spring Break hasn't been too difficult to get IME pre-pandemic, and got it last year fwiw. Things are nuts now though, hard to gauge.

I called in-house reservations and asked about them no opening up past Feb and one week in March. It seems that they are planning room availability around construction. The agent promised it would be opening up, probably within the coming weeks.
I stayed a couple nights during Spring Break this year on points. It opened up about a week out.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by brodielayne
I stayed a couple nights during Spring Break this year on points. It opened up about a week out.
I also stayed during spring break this year on points, and I made my reservation in May 2021. Of course, that was before things got completely nuts on Maui.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:45 am

Does anyone know when all of the construction is expected to be done?
Old May 29, 2022, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Does anyone know when all of the construction is expected to be done?
I'm here now. They don't even know.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:13 am

Daily parking charge

My confirmation says $30 self parking and valet parking $45. Which is lower than the current price. I told them I wanted to self park and was told they don't have self parking. I'm being charged $30 for valet parking.
kirkwoodj and atojbk like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:17 am

Trying to plan a honeymoon at GW next year for a 10 day stay in mid May (ideally, 5/16-26), but we'll see how it goes. I'm concerned. I have the points for the 10 nights, but I feel like the odds of me actually getting to use them for the full trip are slim to none.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jewelgirl04
Trying to plan a honeymoon at GW next year for a 10 day stay in mid May (ideally, 5/16-26), but we'll see how it goes. I'm concerned. I have the points for the 10 nights, but I feel like the odds of me actually getting to use them for the full trip are slim to none.
if the proposed renovations begin in April the molokini wing which has terrace view rooms will not be available for 3 months or longer from what I have been told.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Who knows what the points rates will be in May - right now it looks like all of April is 564,000 per night - not sure, even if I had them, that I'd want to blow almost 6 million points there. While I like the place, many consider it more of a family destination rather than a honeymoon.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Who knows what the points rates will be in May - right now it looks like all of April is 564,000 per night - not sure, even if I had them, that I'd want to blow almost 6 million points there. While I like the place, many consider it more of a family destination rather than a honeymoon.
Ive been there twice before, including during the trip we got engaged this past November. It was just us. If I couldn’t use the points for those nights, I’d just use a few FNC and then pay for the rest. Maybe use the points for our next big trip after that.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Ive been there twice before, including during the trip we got engaged this past November. It was just us. If I couldn’t use the points for those nights, I’d just use a few FNC and then pay for the rest. Maybe use the points for our next big trip after that.
Then you're like us - been there just as a couple and loved it, loved it even more with the grandkids, so you know what you're doing. It really is a fun place.

Wish I had 6 million points! Good for you. Congrats whatever you decide for your honeymoon (we went to Disney World for our honeymoon 45 years ago, so we like the young at heart places).
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
mega kudos :-)
i love GW - 500k/night feels high because cash should be $1000/night and a better value compared to points usage. I could imagine 150k/night but even 300k/night feels high compared with cash.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:41 pm

GW has gotten more and more crowded over the years. I visited at least once a year and burned 9 FNC during my Feb visit this year. The construction started one day before we left. Everything there has gotten more expensive, valet parking was $65/night, thank godness the resort fee was waived and they gave $50/day food credit to Diamond members.

The only think I like this trip is their new beach chair reservation policy. I am going back to Maui next Feb but I am staying at Andaz, much quieter place, no resort fee no parking fee and free breakfast since I am Hyatt Globalist. Those fees add up fast!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by frenchie2
GW has gotten more and more crowded over the years. I visited at least once a year and burned 9 FNC during my Feb visit this year. The construction started one day before we left. Everything there has gotten more expensive, valet parking was $65/night, thank godness the resort fee was waived and they gave $50/day food credit to Diamond members.

The only think I like this trip is their new beach chair reservation policy. I am going back to Maui next Feb but I am staying at Andaz, much quieter place, no resort fee no parking fee and free breakfast since I am Hyatt Globalist. Those fees add up fast!
GW has almost 800 rooms (the actual number is 775, I think). They haven't added any. Historically, GW had the highest occupancy rate on Maui due to a huge number of conventions. We have been going to GW for about 20 years. Not counting the Covid times, it's been very busy for at least those 20 years,
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:10 am

Just returned from a 2 week stay in Hawaii. As a couple, my wife loves the GW and that's why we stay there. I would break up the trip. We stayed our first week at the Westin Hapuna. It was a great stay and no crowds. Then we went to GW. The GW wasn't packed, but crowded. People are still coming out at 7 am and tossing towels down on chairs and not returning for 3+ hours. This is at the pool and beach. It is NOT being policed. The pool chairs at GW are zipped tied together, so you will be sandwiched in. The added cabanas block so much of the beach view and landscape. Such an eyesore. I don't want to come back. But if my wife insists, it'll be for no more than 5 nights. I also feel 110k is too many points, let alone any higher.
Oh btw, Humuhumu brings out water without asking you. Then they charge you $.50 per person for the water. I know it's only $.50, but it's the principle of it. I brought my own water just for the spite of it and I was still given and charged for the water. They took it off the bill and told me that I'm not supposed to bring in my own water. It was GW's water bottle that they give you for free.
BigFishDave, comeflywme and atojbk like this.

Last edited by CalvaryMike; Jun 6, 2022 at 4:16 am
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by CalvaryMike
Just returned from a 2 week stay in Hawaii. As a couple, my wife loves the GW and that's why we stay there. I would break up the trip. We stayed our first week at the Westin Hapuna. It was a great stay and no crowds. Then we went to GW. The GW wasn't packed, but crowded. People are still coming out at 7 am and tossing towels down on chairs and not returning for 3+ hours. This is at the pool and beach. It is NOT being policed. The pool chairs at GW are zipped tied together, so you will be sandwiched in. The added cabanas block so much of the beach view and landscape. Such an eyesore. I don't want to come back. But if my wife insists, it'll be for no more than 5 nights. I also feel 110k is too many points, let alone any higher.
Oh btw, Humuhumu brings out water without asking you. Then they charge you $.50 per person for the water. I know it's only $.50, but it's the principle of it. I brought my own water just for the spite of it and I was still given and charged for the water. They took it off the bill and told me that I'm not supposed to bring in my own water. It was GW's water bottle that they give you for free.
.50 for water? Gotta be kidding me…
CalvaryMike likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.