Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Milan {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
What I do not grasp in this whole discussion is that the biggest value (by far) of an upgrade from a standard to an executive room is Executive Lounge Access. The "upgraded" room is usually no more than bath robes being provided. This is of course different when an upgrade to a suite is offered, but that was not the case here.

OP got lounge access. The rest of this thread is irrelevant as far as I can make out.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by murilix
Yes, Mr. A. Laska, but complimentary in this case means free of charge and not a gift.

As I said five or more times already, if it's not Hilton Milan's policy to give gold members an upgrade, I am frustrated 1) because the system showed it as a possibility having automatically requested it and 2) because showing it as a $0 upgrade it prevented me from paying for it.

I didn't even request the upgrade at the hotel, I asked if I had been given an upgraded room and I got a funny look and the usual explanation. Then I checked their availability and they had one executive room for sale at least (I should have checked how many). All I want is an explanation. What's wrong with that?

I hope Hilton isn't like this, but my experience with upgrades is that hotel attendants are lazy when it comes to it.

My first room upgrade ever - Radisson Decapolis, Panama City - happened because I booked a rate that was $15 higher and stated "Free room upgrade based on availability". I thought: "OK, let's bet $15 on the upgrade". Upon checking in, I inquired about the upgrade and what did I get? "No!" Then I say "I'm sorry, but the rate I paid says I am entitled to an upgrade based on availability". Guess where I slept, in the 30 m² room or in the 65 m² suite?

Last year, I paid for an upgrade at the Radisson in Philadelphia and the upgrade rate stated 1,000 extra points per night - even though I knew my chances were sky high of getting it for free - among other things they were rebranding the hotel to Radisson Blu and there was talk about employees being trained on recognizing CC status, etc. The property tried to get away saying the paid upgrade only gave me the in-room benefits and not the extra points. Even after I showed them this:

they were saying I wasn't entitled to the 1,000 extra points.

If the executive lounge is enough for you, I couldn't be happier with that. But on the Milan specific case that was my very last night in Europe with Mrs. Murilix, and I wanted to give her the best I could and while even Radisson Milan's had a similar rate and looked A LOT better, the Hilton's location was hard to beat as we were flying from Malpensa the morning after and those 90 EUR taxi rates are freaking abusive.

But now it looks like the hotel ended up with an unused executive room and a guest who was status matched form another chain who is now not certain if trying to get 17 more stays this year at Hiltons to keep his gold status is worth the trouble.

Maybe I'll pay the $200 for IHG Ambassador instead.
Unfortunately, it seems you will consider my reply abuse, but if you really "wanted to give her (Mrs. Murilix) the best I could" you would have assured the better room by paying for it; Nor1 (actually a program contracted by Hilton) and Gold "availability based upgrade" (properties can have any policy they want to define this) are gambles. You gambled and lost, though you did get bathrobes and Executive Lounge access, which was actually a very nice grant.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat, Hilton - Diamond
Originally Posted by sbams
What I do not grasp in this whole discussion is that the biggest value (by far) of an upgrade from a standard to an executive room is Executive Lounge Access. The "upgraded" room is usually no more than bath robes being provided. This is of course different when an upgrade to a suite is offered, but that was not the case here.

OP got lounge access. The rest of this thread is irrelevant as far as I can make out.
I have been to the Milan Hilton a few times and have gotten a standard king room and an exec lounge room. The rooms were almost identical. I think the lounge room had a better view, but really it's just of a building across the street, so there isn't anything to really see.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Diamond HH, Gold Marriott, UA "Plebe"
Hilton Milan NOT able to book past March, 2015??

I will be in Milan for 3 nights in May. I wish to book the Hilton Milan, but the furthest out they are taking reservations on-line is March 26,2015. I called Hilton and they confirm this. Is the hotel being sold, and or not going to be open after this date? I can't imagine that they have not loaded it past March 26,2015
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: HH D
It might have to do something with Expo Milano 2015

http://www.expo2015.org/en

or it may not.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Quick review from our stay last week. We had two single night award stays. Wednesday and Friday. First stay, a hurried check-in initially had no room available (at 1300) but when pressed they found a available room. No Diamond recognition. Lounge was crowded but had a nice selection wines and snacks. Was offered to have breakfast at the lobby restaurant which had a very nice buffet selection and an omelet station.

Second stay much better check in very engaging reception, diamond recognition and were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade (Presidential suite) this time lounge not so crowded (probably due to weekend) and breakfast was nice and staff attentive.

One last note the the restaurant has a price fix lunch for 14,40 E including salad, main and bottled water, surprisingly good.

As others have noted Hotel very easy walk from the train station
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
just spent 2 nights, they upgrade both rooms to King Exec...I was the only person with status Diamond. Breakfast was in the restaurant, very happy with that! tasty and fresh OJ machine. Lounge is OK, only wine and beer. didn't think the app selection was great, but not bad either.... Nice, clean and modern. just 5 minutes to Centrale Station.
My Parents are older, so I based them out of here for easy access to the train station for daily trips to other towns. they stayed for 4 nights and loved the hotel, as the front desk was very helpful to them.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:41 am

Just spent 3 prepay nights here. Gold status.

Originally offered no upgrade and breakfast but ended up with queen executive with lounge access.

Room was smallish with incredibly thin walls. I was worried about putting the TV above a whisper. EL attendant very nice, but food offerings quite poor and no liquor. Lounge itself is pleasant in design and comfort.

Door staff are ambivalent and won't bother to hold a door or ask if you need a taxi.

Concierge was professional and handled a small task without issue.

Taxi stand is 50 meters away and Centrale is 2 blocks making transit easy.

Nothing bad about this hotel, but nothing special either.

Overall 6.5/10
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Just spent 3 prepay nights here. Gold status.

Originally offered no upgrade and breakfast but ended up with queen executive with lounge access.

Room was smallish with incredibly thin walls. I was worried about putting the TV above a whisper. EL attendant very nice, but food offerings quite poor and no liquor. Lounge itself is pleasant in design and comfort.

Door staff are ambivalent and won't bother to hold a door or ask if you need a taxi.

Concierge was professional and handled a small task without issue.

Taxi stand is 50 meters away and Centrale is 2 blocks making transit easy.

Nothing bad about this hotel, but nothing special either.

Overall 6.5/10
Did you have to push for lounge access? I am Gold and currently staying in the Hilton Milan. Was given upgrade from Standard to Deluxe(refurbished) room but no lounge access. Basically was told I'd have to have booked a Deluxe room to get upgraded to an Executive room with lounge access.

Disappointing as I always assumed as a Gold member I got lounge access if upgrade to executive room was available - guess that I misunderstood the rules and that other Hiltons are just more generous.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Did you have to push for lounge access? I am Gold and currently staying in the Hilton Milan. Was given upgrade from Standard to Deluxe(refurbished) room but no lounge access. Basically was told I'd have to have booked a Deluxe room to get upgraded to an Executive room with lounge access.

Disappointing as I always assumed as a Gold member I got lounge access if upgrade to executive room was available - guess that I misunderstood the rules and that other Hiltons are just more generous.
Yes, I absolutely had to push for lounge access. I think I ended up with a "smaller" room in exchange for it. But you're not missing anything. No liquor. One beer choice and stale food offerings.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Yes, I absolutely had to push for lounge access. I think I ended up with a "smaller" room in exchange for it. But you're not missing anything. No liquor. One beer choice and stale food offerings.
Thanks, I did try to sweet talk the staff ("I get it at almost all other Hiltons" etc.) but they were very firm(though nice) about saying no. This policy seems quite strict at this hotel and they seem to have been trained about what to say as I got the same line from two different people. Oh well, Good to know I'm not missing much at least.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:47 pm

I stayed at the Hilton Milan back in May 2015 when I was on European Delivery of a new ride that I picked up in Munich. Absolutely loved this place.

I had a 2 nights stay booked on points (double beds) but then there was some sort of flash sale and I was tempted to rebook. Only downside was that there were no basic rooms left; only EL rooms. I cancelled my points res and hoped my basic room would be thrown back into inventory. No such luck.

So I bit the bullet and booked the room with EL access. It was a fairly generous sale so I was glad I stuck with it. The room itself was huge (could almost be considered a junior suite) with a large expanse of floor to ceiling windows and 2 juliet balconies. And the A/C oh the A/C! I could make that room a meat locker which was welcome on a steamy Milanese weekend. One other side note: the hotel is not affiliated with the underground parking. Make sure to bring cash.

The lounge, I thought, was nice. Decent wine and a differing variety of small bites each night. There is a little outdoor patio/sky deck but it is laden with vines that sprout little flowers. The flowers are so aromatic and at first its nice, but then it becomes downright overpowering.

The hotel was a quick walk to the Central Train Station. We went to the Opera that night at Teatro alla Scalla (Turandot) and we felt just fine walking back from the train station in the dark at 11PM. Oh, and the opera was outstanding.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Just stayed here for 1 night, booked the cheapest room which was a small queen. My Diamond status was recognized and they upgraded me to a Junior Suite. Also sent a small plate of pastries and shot of some kind of liquer up to the room which was a nice touch. Was offered breakfast but not sure if they meant in restuarant or lounge - had to catch a flight so grabbed a coffee in lounge.

Lounge was alright with a decent spread in morning and evening. Not one of the best I've been too but better than expected.

Location is great: two blocks from central station
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:22 am

Stayed at Hilton Milan for 3 nights. Diamond status upgraded from King Hilton to King Hilton Executive (on 7th floor). Upgrade was at check-in and didn't show in the app. Room was large. Late checkout was offered until 3pm on asking (usually 6pm is possible, but they were busy on Monday apparently).

We faced the main street which was a little bit noisy on a Friday night (could hear music?) but generally not too bothersome. Insulation between rooms could be better as we could hear the couple next time enjoying a good time in bed (not helped by bed banging on wall!)

Breakfast was offered in Lounge or Restaurant. Lounge breakfast included 2 hot plates and cold selection. Restaurant breakfast includes extensive hot+cold buffet including meats, cheese, breads, fruits, cereals, omelettes made to order, as well as gluten free and an oriental selection. The restaurant breakfast is far superior. One interesting aspect I haven't seen before was a sheet of honeycomb dripping honey into a bowl for use. The coffee served in a flask in the restaurant wasn't great. Double espresso was better, but they coffee machine in the lounge served better.

Lounge was ok, not huge, and all tables were taken on Saturday evening during happy hour (6-8pm). It has a small outdoor terrace with a few tables. Food during the day is a couple of small finger food type dishes, and nuts / bread sticks / crackers. Happy hour included wine (red, white, fizz), beer (Nastro Azzuro), two hot dishes (one soup, and another snacky finger food) as well as salad/cold meat/cheese selection that varied every day. It could use more power sockets as these are fairly sparse.

The lounge desk was unmanned apart from once when I visited in the lounge over a period from friday - monday.

Hotel decor is quite nice generally, and room looks quite smart, although the bathroom whilst fine is probably due an update soon. Location is good, 2min walk from the Central Station/metro. There are some good restaurants nearby. It's about a 30min walk to the Duomo area.

Would visit here again.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
How much it cost to go by taxi from the hilton milan to Duomo during day time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.