Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Colombo {LKA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Bump.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
do u plan on sleeping in the hotel the 1st and 2nd nights? If not then check out and have them store your bags and dont use the 2nd night or dont check in on 1st night but stay up later and check in later. Further to these two suggestions the only other option may be to contact the GM of the hotel. I can't see them allowing you to spend all that time in the room (read they cannot sell the room for 1 or the other night) and not pass on that cost to you. Having said that stranger things have happened (and are documented on FT )
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Pay for one night and get late check-out. 4 to 6 p.m. checkout is not too hard to get, at least it hasn't been for me, and then just use the hotel's facilities until you head to the airport.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:35 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I have sent you a PM with the email for the hotel GM.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA platinum, Air France Platinum,, Bonvoy titanium, AC 50k
I just had a 1 night stay at the Hilton Colombo.

As a Diamond I was upgraded to the Executive level - fairly nice room, but not a suite. I noticed that there is also an "Executive Plus" level that presumably has better feaures. The regular executive floor lounge is very weak; dark and dreary. The hotel staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful.

I avoided the excessive charge from the hotel for airport transportation and took taxis both ways at less than half the price. The taxis were both comfortable and in good condition, with air conditioning. They were arranged by someone at the Hilton desk at the airport and at the hotel concierge desk respectively. I did use the hotel's car service for a tour around town, paying about $14 for 3 hours.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Bondiboy
The cost of both of the Hiltons in Colombo is about $90-110 (depending if you have a corporate rate). Both hotels also require 20,000 Hilton Honors points per night. In my view this is NOT agood ude of Honors points and I would urge you to consider.
Where are you finding $90-110? We have a corp rate of $90, but the lowest published rate in most of September is $180.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Where are you finding $90-110? We have a corp rate of $90, but the lowest published rate in most of September is $180.

Must be some type of event in September because only suites (at abt $305)) seem to ba available at that time. The following month my corporates rates are:

125.00 USD TWIN EXECUTIVE FLOOR
90.00 USD TWIN HILTON GUEST ROOM
215.00 USD KING CORNER SUITE
125.00 USD KING EXECUTIVE FLOOR
290.00 USD KING BUSINESS ALCOVE
90.00 USD KING HILTON GUEST ROOM

There are still "reasonable" rates available at the Residence
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Bondiboy
Must be some type of event in September because only suites (at abt $305)) seem to ba available at that time. The following month my corporates rates are:

125.00 USD TWIN EXECUTIVE FLOOR
90.00 USD TWIN HILTON GUEST ROOM
215.00 USD KING CORNER SUITE
125.00 USD KING EXECUTIVE FLOOR
290.00 USD KING BUSINESS ALCOVE
90.00 USD KING HILTON GUEST ROOM

There are still "reasonable" rates available at the Residence
I've never stayed at the Residence - how is it? Location as good?

Your rates are the same as my corporate rates - I was just noting that the regular rates for Joe Public are pretty obscene, and points may be a good option.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:14 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
What is the distance betweent he two Hiltons? I have a meeting next to the Hilton Colombo but am not interesting in paying three times the price ($115 vs $305) to stay there. Are there any other hotels of similar int'l levels in the area of the Hilton Colombo?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:36 am

Programs: AA platinum, Air France Platinum,, Bonvoy titanium, AC 50k
I suggest that you e-mail the Hilton directly. They may offer you a much better rate.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About a four minute seventy cent tut-tut ride.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:20 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

hfly has it right. The hotels are quite close.

Given that the Colombo Hilton Residence has a positive review, I wouldn't pay more than a few dollars extra to stay at the Colombo Hilton. I have booked the Residence for my next stay due to a discrepancy in rates between the two hotels - and it is trivial compared to the difference you have found.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:05 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Is it possible to walk outside the HI Residence and wander around without being accosted by beggars and whatnot? Is it close to the beach? Do people hang out at the beach in Colombo?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Is it possible to walk outside the HI Residence and wander around without being accosted by beggars and whatnot? Is it close to the beach? Do people hang out at the beach in Colombo?
There is no problem to walkaround HCR, however, it is not really an area you want to hang out in. No, it is not close to the beach. It is a city center apartment built for expats.

My beef with the Hilton Colombo Residence is that they asked for an extra day charge for late checkout. Hilton Colombo allows 50% charge for 10pm checkout. Bear in mind that most flights from CMB depart after midnight. What are other FTer's experience?

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 6, 2006 at 3:19 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The actual street that its on has a Supermarket and a couple of other shops, not too much else right there. I have never realy found beggars in Colombo or Sri Lanka to be that much of a problem compared to India for example. Transport in and around Colombo costa next to nothing so that really is not a problem. For beach you really want to head south 2-3 hours, that is where they start to get very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.