Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade only allowed one night of your stay???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA CP; Onepass Silver; HHonors Diamond; Priority Club Platinum; Hertz Pres Circle

I'm at the HGI in McAllen, TX -- reservation for 4 nights. Arrived late on the first night, got a standard room on the 3rd floor of a 4 floor building.

Next morning I asked about an upgrade, and was told that I could only get upgraded one night of my stay. So if I elected to use my upgrade before my last night, I'd have to move out of the upgraded room after one night.

Anyone ever heard a policy like this? Seems ridiculous to me.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:35 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Sounds like they didn't have an available upgraded room for the next two nights. That's the risk of booking a longer stay - they have to be willing to sacrifice availability of the upgraded room for your entire stay. Was it explained to you as a policy or as an availability issue? I've never heard it as a policy.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
I've never heard of such a policy. But then again your details are kind of sketchy.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:22 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
This was the same hotel that told me they didn't owe me miles if they couldn't upgrade me. I would have to call the hhonors line and talk to them...
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:15 am

Programs: United, Southwest, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Airtran, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Loews Gold
If you don't get an upgrade, you get a 5.00 voucher to spend in the rediculously priced pantry pavilion. Enjoy your 5.00!!!!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Sounds like they wrote their own playbook. Avoid in the future.

That said, I get a better upgrade when I stay 1 night than when I stay a week. It stands to reason. But, there's no HH rule about 1 u/g night per stay.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I think that the longer you stay the less of the chance of an upgrade. Less chance that a specialty room type is available right on through.

I bet that on your date of arrival an upgraded room type was not available. Sounds to me like they were simply trying to accommodate your request after the fact.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by loomis
I think that the longer you stay the less of the chance of an upgrade. Less chance that a specialty room type is available right on through.

I bet that on your date of arrival an upgraded room type was not available. Sounds to me like they were simply trying to accommodate your request after the fact.

Agreed. Besides, What does this property consider and "upgrade"? Are you sure that this property has more than one upgradable room?

There are too many details left out.

From the Hilton Honors website
At Hilton Garden Inn hotels, Diamond VIP members will receive their choice of either 750 HHonors bonus points OR complimentary continental breakfast each morning for the member and one additional person throughout the stay and upgraded room accommodations (subject to availability upon check-in) . If upgrade is not available, member will receive a $5.00 coupon* for use during stay at the Pavilion Pantry® (excludes alcohol). *Coupon cannot be redeemed for cash
Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Agreed. Besides, What does this property consider and "upgrade"? Are you sure that this property has more than one upgradable room?

There are too many details left out.

From the Hilton Honors website
At Hilton Garden Inn hotels, Diamond VIP members will receive their choice of either 750 HHonors bonus points OR complimentary continental breakfast each morning for the member and one additional person throughout the stay and upgraded room accommodations (subject to availability upon check-in) . If upgrade is not available, member will receive a $5.00 coupon* for use during stay at the Pavilion Pantry® (excludes alcohol). *Coupon cannot be redeemed for cash
My question is: What is an upgrade at a HGI? HGIs are pretty cookie cutter.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003
Many (most?) HGI's have at least a couple of "parlor suites".
Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikey1003

I would say it depends on the property. I don't normally stay at HGI's, but the few I've been at and were upgraded, had two room suites. The suites had a floor plan like regular Embassy Suites "two room suites" with HGI furniture.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

I would say it depends on the property. I don't normally stay at HGI's, but the few I've been at and were upgraded, had two room suites. The suites had a floor plan like regular Embassy Suites "two room suites" with HGI furniture.
When I stayed at the newly built HGI Ithaca NY last fall, they gave me an upgrade to a one bedroom corner suite. Not much of a view, but it had a huge bathroom (about the size of a typical hilton hotel room!).
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Eugene
Many (most?) HGI's have at least a couple of "parlor suites".
Yup. I was at the HGI Overland Park, KS this week and was boosted into one. It was down at the end of the corridor, though, and the hotel's tepid wi-fi zone didn't reach that far. I gave up my parlor suite and moved into a standard room near the elevator shaft so I could log on and work.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
if its a question of policy, i think its a question of the hotel trying to take advantage of members and i have been a victim.

I was screwed over at HGI Franklin Square, Washington DC. They absolutely refused to upgrade my room and when asked later for a room away from elevator or higher floor, they refused to even bother to check. Just no without checking.
I really think that hotels that do such a thing should be penalised further than just a 5.00 pantry voucher.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trekkie
if its a question of policy, i think its a question of the hotel trying to take advantage of members and i have been a victim.

I was screwed over at HGI Franklin Square, Washington DC. They absolutely refused to upgrade my room and when asked later for a room away from elevator or higher floor, they refused to even bother to check. Just no without checking.
I really think that hotels that do such a thing should be penalised further than just a 5.00 pantry voucher.

Oh please. How do you know that the person checking didn't already know the status of the hotel. That property is pretty busy. Look how many FlyerTalkers give that property good remarks!

The night in questioin, they may have had a high occupancy rate (whether it appeared to busy busy or not) and did not need to check the occupancy. Or the "upgraded" rooms (a) however many there are and b) whatever room type they designate "upgradable") might have already been occupied. Also, your interaction with the person on the other side of the counter, could be a huge reason why you received no service.... I mean be a "victim".

How can you be a victim when "upgrades" are based on occupancy and SUITES (not that you said you wanted one) are not a published benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.