Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Ocean City Oceanfront Suites {US-MD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Ocean City Oceanfront Suites {US-MD}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I just completed my first stay here and wanted to do a quick report.

First things first: if I had paid the going cash rate of $750+ per night, I would've been disappointed, I think. There's no way this property is worth that much cash. As it is, I bought points with the 100% bonus, which brought the going nightly rate down to a more reasonable $430/night. If you've got points or certificates to burn, and OC is convenient for you, this is a decent property for that.

The room is fine. There were a number of small issues, but honestly the most significant one was that the safe wasn't working. The extra space was perfect for us and they were able to get a rollaway bed in there also, so bonus points for that. The kitchen is small with barely any counter space, but it has almost everything you need with modern appliances (there was even a blender). The only things that were missing was any sort of an oven pan or baking sheet and paper towels.. There was only one frying pan, and it was all stainless without any non-stick coating. The exhaust fan over the stove doesn't actually exhaust anything -- it just blows the air out the top. So be careful cooking. I tried frying up some bacon and honestly was sure I would set off the smoke detectors (luckily I didn't).

Checkout is at 11am. I asked about late checkout... I know I have virtually no status to speak of and it's high season, etc... They told me they could extend it to 11:30... wow... so kind of them. Other than this the staff were all friendly and helpful.

The ocean views from the balcony are wonderful. The maintenance of the balcony probably could be better, but you can't beat the views.

There are two pools - a kids/activity pool and an "adult" pool, but kids are allowed in both pools. The activity pool is nice and shallow, has a small water slide, a small lazy river and a little whirlpool in it (I don't mean hot tub, I mean a section where the water swirls around). This is a lot of fun for the kiddos and my 7-year-old couldn't get enough of all of this. The adult pool is just a big rectangle with a small area roped off for the swim-up bar. Oddly the water in the adult pool was warm to the point of uncomfortable.

There are a number of kids activities. For example, my kids enjoyed Cascading Carlos visiting the pool area.

The hotel has NO BEACH SERVICES. Maybe this is standard in OC, but this was my first time being at a beach-front property that doesn't have anything. Beach chairs are done by some outside company, and the hotel doesn't let you take their pool towels to the beach... Seriously? What are you supposed to do -- travel with your own beach towels? This is pretty ridiculous.

The only hotel food we experience was a salad from the pool bar and it was good.

It looks like they have rooms on the first floor which have patios instead of balconies and are right in front of the pool, with your own private entrance to the pool area.

There are a number of restaurants and shops within easy walking distance, including a small supermarket (Minit Market) which has all the essentials, but not much choice and high prices.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Consider yourself lucky if you got 30 minutes for a late checkout. Was denied a one hour late checkout as a Diamond recently despite asking nicely, and was promptly shown the exit at 11 am without any sympathy or regard for elite status. Properties like this run nearly at full capacity during summer months and could care less about loyalty and their goal is turning around rooms for the next sap willing to pay $500+ a night for the privilege of staying in an oceanfront location. It’s definitely not on my list of properties I’d ever return to based on horribly poor customer service and elite recognition/consideration. Their restaurant also charged me after I had checked out for a bill incurred by the next guest staying in my room, which required several calls and an “investigation” to resolve and get erroneous charges refunded. That’s a first in several decades of travel to have a charge added (from a different guest) after I’ve already checked out and received the folio via email.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp

The hotel has NO BEACH SERVICES. Maybe this is standard in OC, but this was my first time being at a beach-front property that doesn't have anything. Beach chairs are done by some outside company, and the hotel doesn't let you take their pool towels to the beach... Seriously? What are you supposed to do -- travel with your own beach towels? This is pretty ridiculous.
<snip>
There are a number of restaurants and shops within easy walking distance, including a small supermarket (Minit Market) which has all the essentials, but not much choice and high prices.
I forgot about the lack of beach services. It may be standard OC. We ended up walking to one of the surf shops and buying beach chairs.
As for the high prices, yes. I keep forgetting that since I'm from NY what seem like average prices are high for nearly everyone else.
Thanks for the extensive review.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
Ocean City has had for my entire life (37 years) concessionaires (not sure if it's one company or multiple) to rent umbrellas and chairs along the ocean front. They all have the same blue boxes. Some folks rent, many bring their gear with them. I'm not aware of any hotels who provide anything.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by mloradites
Ocean City has had for my entire life (37 years) concessionaires (not sure if it's one company or multiple) to rent umbrellas and chairs along the ocean front. They all have the same blue boxes. Some folks rent, many bring their gear with them. I'm not aware of any hotels who provide anything.
I can understand the chairs -- and ultimately I don't really care who provides my chair. But the towels I just don't get. If I'm traveling and staying at a full-service hotel that's advertised as ocean-front (indeed, has that in its name), I sort of expect them to at least provide towels I can take to the beach. If I was staying at some sort of a private rental or a budget chain I may have different expectations.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I can understand the chairs -- and ultimately I don't really care who provides my chair. But the towels I just don't get. If I'm traveling and staying at a full-service hotel that's advertised as ocean-front (indeed, has that in its name), I sort of expect them to at least provide towels I can take to the beach. If I was staying at some sort of a private rental or a budget chain I may have different expectations.
Always check with the bellman at beach hotel properties for chairs, boogie boards, snorkel gear, beach mats, etc.

They often store stuff left behind by previous guests and will lend them to you at no charge (I just tip them $5 or $10).

We have even borrowed left behind surfboards in Hawaii.
sxpsxpsxp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.