Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

I Now Have Hilton Honors Silver VIP Status!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Now Have Hilton Honors Silver VIP Status!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2001, 10:48 am

Butcher Bird -- It's Diamond, not Platinum...

In terms of the Silver VIP benefits, I think the most valuable one is the ability to use VIP-only awards.
Old Mar 28, 2001, 11:18 am
DOC 2 BE

Originally posted by Eugene:
Butcher Bird -- It's Diamond, not Platinum...

In terms of the Silver VIP benefits, I think the most valuable one is the ability to use VIP-only awards.
Agreed. If you have garnered 100,000 points, you can stay 6 nights in Hawaii for FREE!!!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 29, 2001, 6:25 am

Ah, thanks folks. Too many programs, and so little time to keep track of them all. As for the gold status, I think that I am getting a 25% bonus, and occasionally find goodies left in the room by HH. -Not a bad touch. Still, from what I have heard and seen....The biggies really kick in at diamond. By way of example, I made two attempts to redeem pts for room stays this year. -No dice, sold out on the pt exchange, etc. The points will be more useful when such parameters and limitations no longer apply.

Search the HH board and I think that you will find several shortcuts to gold status.
Old Mar 30, 2001, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
I think that besides from the 15% bonus on points the Silver level is pretty useless!

------------------
Goldlust
Old Aug 18, 2004, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG, HHonors Silver
Silver soon... what to expect?

Hi, everyone! Well, I've often said on this site that I am "status-less" for various reasons... first, I didn't have such a wealth of knowledge prior to my FT days and second, I did keep things in various airline and hotel programs for flexibility. But now that I've learned from others that being selective and trying to limit programs for miles/points for status DOES have some benefits, I'm trying to be better.

So, since I've been paying more attention, it looks like I can get HH Silver status soon. So far this year, I've had only one stay for four nights, but in Sept. I'll have my second (for two nights) and third (for four nights). This will only give me the required "4 paid stays [no] or 10 nights in a calendar year [yes]." What can I expect then? How long does it take to change status? And what are the real benefits? I've seen the HH membership guide and it seems the only real change is a 15% bonus on base points for future stays, and free access to the health clubs... not a lot, I know, but something!

And while it'd be nice to "go for the gold," I'm not sure that's possible this year. I've got about 30K points, but doubt I could get another 30K by the end of the year just from "base points." I did sign up for the double points option (changing my double-dip from point and miles to points and points) but don't know if those count as "base" points as well. Does anyone know? Feel free to suggest ways to get me on the right path! ;->

I did do the NAVG "fast track" promo suggested elsewhere on this site, and know for sure that I will have the two qualifying stays within 90 days to get silver, anyway. I don't get to travel that much for business or pleasure so I might not have any more trips planned this year. Would it be worth it to do a couple of quickie/cheapie stays locally just to try for gold?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Gator Gal
Hi, everyone! Well, I've often said on this site that I am "status-less" for various reasons... first, I didn't have such a wealth of knowledge prior to my FT days and second, I did keep things in various airline and hotel programs for flexibility. But now that I've learned from others that being selective and trying to limit programs for miles/points for status DOES have some benefits, I'm trying to be better.

So, since I've been paying more attention, it looks like I can get HH Silver status soon. So far this year, I've had only one stay for four nights, but in Sept. I'll have my second (for two nights) and third (for four nights). This will only give me the required "4 paid stays [no] or 10 nights in a calendar year [yes]." What can I expect then? How long does it take to change status? And what are the real benefits? I've seen the HH membership guide and it seems the only real change is a 15% bonus on base points for future stays, and free access to the health clubs... not a lot, I know, but something!

And while it'd be nice to "go for the gold," I'm not sure that's possible this year. I've got about 30K points, but doubt I could get another 30K by the end of the year just from "base points." I did sign up for the double points option (changing my double-dip from point and miles to points and points) but don't know if those count as "base" points as well. Does anyone know? Feel free to suggest ways to get me on the right path! ;->

I did do the NAVG "fast track" promo suggested elsewhere on this site, and know for sure that I will have the two qualifying stays within 90 days to get silver, anyway. I don't get to travel that much for business or pleasure so I might not have any more trips planned this year. Would it be worth it to do a couple of quickie/cheapie stays locally just to try for gold?
Probably the best thing status will bring is access to VIP only rewards. There are several and you will hear them spoken of often here; most commonly 6 nights at HHV for 175,000. So start saving.

Be careful how you figure base points. Easiest to multiply room rate (excluding tax) by number of nights times ten. The 30,000 points you already have only count as base points if you earned them this calendar year. You may be farther away than you think.

Things a silver might expect include a newspaper, upgrades, water and/or snack in addition to the points bonus, occasional elite check-in line and health club access. But, even for Golds and Diamonds, those things sometimes come only if you ask.

And for the curious, Is a Gator Gal a fan of UF or do you just have sharp teeth and a long scaly tail?

Last edited by BamaVol; Aug 18, 2004 at 3:27 pm
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I did sign up for the double points option (changing my double-dip from point and miles to points and points) but don't know if those count as "base" points as well. Does anyone know? Feel free to suggest ways to get me on the right path! ;->
The "extra" points are all bonus points (not base points) - the 15% Silver premium, the points in lieu of miles, even when HHilton runs a "double base points" promo - they only count the basic 10 points per pretax dollar - but this includes incidental charges such as in-house restaurants at hotels other than Hampton and Homewood Suites.

I once got an HHonors upgrade at a Doubletree as a Silver, but that's quite rare.

PS: The "points and points" option only gives you 50% extra, not double points.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:41 pm

in Sept. I'll have my second (for two nights) and third (for four nights). This will only give me the required "4 paid stays [no] or 10 nights in a calendar year [yes]."

<snip>

And while it'd be nice to "go for the gold," I'm not sure that's possible this year.

<snip>

I did do the NAVG "fast track" promo suggested elsewhere on this site, and know for sure that I will have the two qualifying stays within 90 days to get silver, anyway.
Why not break your multi-night stays into a couple one-night stays at alternating locations (depending on the location, there might be several HH properties nearby), and qualify for Gold through the NAVG promo?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:52 pm

Thanks, BamaVol, and PDHenry, for the clarifications... you're right about that. Eugene, that's a great idea and certainly worth looking into. For Hawaii that wouldn't work because we're doing three islands in 10 days and already have too much bouncing around but I'll see what my options are for the other trip and an "overnighter" I may have in Nov. Thanks again!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:22 pm

Any chances of upgrading at the HHV on a reward as a Silver? Is that just wishful thinking?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by dohvegas
Any chances of upgrading at the HHV on a reward as a Silver? Is that just wishful thinking?
It's not unheard of, but chances are not very good. Turn up the charm and see if you can establish a rapport with a check-in clerk.

But you have to be Gold or above to get breakfast coupons - an excellent benefit at HHV; they includes tax and tips, and can be used at various locations, including the Rainbow Lanai (my favorite).
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:20 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
I never expect upgrades as Silver, and in three years I've found I'm upgraded about one-third of the time. It depends on the property and when you're staying there.

The best part of being Silver, as has already been said above, is access to the VIP rewards. It makes it completely worthwhile. But I also like the bonus points, and it makes me feel better not going in to a hotel with a blue card on file. That's more my own psychological deal, I guess.

As for when status upgrades, as soon as your fourth stay posts, you should see the status change online. Expect your card and welcome packet in a week or so. Congrats on Silver!
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Eugene
Why not break your multi-night stays into a couple one-night stays at alternating locations (depending on the location, there might be several HH properties nearby), and qualify for Gold through the NAVG promo?
Hi again, Eugene! Well, I didn't think this might be possible, but now I'm reconsidering and I'd like your opinion (as well as others'). Right now I have two definite upcoming stays and one possible trip. If I split one of these trips into two, as you suggested, then I'd likely be able to make the "four within a 90-day period" for gold. I could also then take advantage of the online booking bonus (I received an email about that, too). But this would require me to do a lot of shuffling, as follows. Let me know if you think it's worth it:

1. Book a second reservation in my name for the HWV in Hawaii (if we can get the same price, at the govt. rate we were using) and then cancel the one my boyfriend had made in his name but with my HHonors account number on the res. This would be "stay #1" and would get me the 500 pt. bonus.

2. Change my stay in San Jose into "two" stays by telling the Hilton San Jose & Towers that I'm arriving one day later, actually, and then booking a room for my first night at another nearby Hilton property, such as the Homewood Suites. These would be "stays #2 and #3" and again I might get an online booking bonus for the HSuites; I would likely NOT outright cancel and re-book my H. San Jose & Towers res since this is for a work-related convention and I could run the risk of a sell-out or a much higher rate.

3. Book a night at a H property in Richmond in Nov. for a meeting I'm attending there. This could be done online as well and would be stay #4.

Of course, this all depends on two critical things: (1) whether I could make the changes WITHOUT penalty, and (2) whether they'd be "qualifying stays" both for the NAVG gold-qualifying promo and online booking bonus. I'm sure many of you here have done last-minute "switcheroos" to take advantage of promos. I'm happy to invest the few minutes it'd take me to do all this, but only if I know I'll get all the perks I seek. Is this do-able? Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:49 am

1. Book a second reservation in my name for the HWV in Hawaii (if we can get the same price, at the govt. rate we were using) and then cancel the one my boyfriend had made in his name but with my HHonors account number on the res. This would be "stay #1" and would get me the 500 pt. bonus.
If I understand you correctly, the reservation there is now made in your boyfriend's name, and you are considering to have it in your name instead, so there will be no breaking it into two separate reservations. It's absolutely doable, provided you are eligible for the government rate (keep in mind that strictly speaking, government rate is supposed to be only for people staying there on government business, no leisure stays allowed). They may or may not be strict about it, but you never know. If you are eligible, but the rate is no longer available, you can simply change the name on the existing reservation without rebooking.

2. Change my stay in San Jose into "two" stays by telling the Hilton San Jose & Towers that I'm arriving one day later, actually, and then booking a room for my first night at another nearby Hilton property, such as the Homewood Suites. These would be "stays #2 and #3" and again I might get an online booking bonus for the HSuites; I would likely NOT outright cancel and re-book my H. San Jose & Towers res since this is for a work-related convention and I could run the risk of a sell-out or a much higher rate.

3. Book a night at a H property in Richmond in Nov. for a meeting I'm attending there. This could be done online as well and would be stay #4.
That's absolutely doable, and you should be Gold after that stay.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:07 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
I would likely NOT outright cancel and re-book my H. San Jose & Towers res since this is for a work-related convention and I could run the risk of a sell-out or a much higher rate.
Always, ALWAYS book the new res before canceling the old one. Having two identical (or almost identical) reservations at the same property doesn't confuse the system and you can always distinguish the new reservation from the old one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.