Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Grand Key - Key West {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Grand Key - Key West {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2002, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Grand Key - Key West {US-FL}

My hometown of Key West gets a double tree resort. This is a 2 year old property called the Grand Key Resort. As of Aug 15 ish, it will be the Doubletree Grand Key West Resort. A very nice property.

http://www.grandkeyresort.com/
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:01 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Nice property in a crappy location. It's located down by houseboat row, right?
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Close to Houseboat row, and the airport.
Not like the hilton location, but a much nicer hotel than the others chain hotels on Roosevelt Boulevard (radisson, courtyard ect). I talked to the gm and it will be a classic level.He said the hotel follow all hhonors vip rules: free breakfast, nice upgrades to golds and diamonds. I have stayed there when house was being painted. Nice resort, great rooms. I would stay at the hilton as 1st choice, double tree second, hampton inn dead last.

http://www.grandkeyresort.com/contact.htm
Old Jul 22, 2002, 2:30 pm

Aahh Key West - and I'm even wearing my favorite KW shirt today - too bad I can't remember much about my actual stay there back in February!

But then I was warned, if you can remember your trip, you didn't have a good enough time!

Don't think my liver could live there though but it might be fun to find out.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 12:32 pm

Having an option will be great in EYW.
The Hampton seems so old and the Hilton downtown so very $$$$$!

So, the Doubletree will hopefully provide us (and our pocketbooks) some much needed relief in the U.S.'s Southernmost Point!

Cheers...
Old Sep 22, 2002, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Any recent trip reports for this hotel?? Is it suitable for a family with young kid ??

The Key west Hilton and Hampton Inn are sold out the days I want. The doubletree is the only other option (apart from the Sunset Key cottages at 700+usd per night) in Key West (of Hilton Brands). Its either that or Islamorada Hampton Inn at the same price.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm staying there next month for a couple of nights. First time to Key West.
I assume $89 midweek is an OK rate?
Old Sep 23, 2002, 6:33 am
Original Poster

The hotel is very nice. The rate of 89.00 is good for Key West. If you need to stay at a Hilton property for points this would be my 2nd choice. The Key West Hilton is the best. The location is perfect, walking to all the bars and shops. The sunset views from the hilton bar alone is worth the extra $$$. The double tree is on the other side of the island close to the airport and the do have a shuttle. The shuttle will also take you to where all the action is in Key West. However, with traffic this could take from 10 - 20 minutes. If this is your first time to Key West, try the hilton.

For fun got to:
http://www.schoonerwharf.com/

Mike McCould plays there for happy hour at this open air bar/rest on the water. A must see for Key West.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 8:51 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tim_T:
Any recent trip reports for this hotel?? Is it suitable for a family with young kid ??
</font>

Honestly, Key West is like Las Vegas. If you take the kids, you might not be able to experience everything that makes Key West a great getaway. However, EYW is more kid-friendly than Las Vegas. Don't do the Hampton at Islamorada. That's way too far from Key West. Worst case scenario, do the Hampton at Marathon. Just over the 7 Mile Bridge to Bahia Honda State Park for the best beach in the Keys, and a nice safe lagoon are for the kids to play in the water.

Old Sep 23, 2002, 9:38 am

Hey BumpMe! America's southernmost point? How do we break that news to Hawaii?
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:58 am
Original Poster

The southermost point in the 48 states. I live just a few blocks from there. I would semd the gm at the double tree an email and ask to a upgrade to a suite. The suites have a seperate living and bedroom rooms. The suites also have a fridge.

If you are in the Keys for a few days do not stay outside of keywest. The rates would not be much lower than 89.00. Take a look at www.keywest.com for ideas on what to see and do. I have had friends visit with children of all ages.

Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:43 pm
Original Member

Thanks for the info. It looks like the doubletree is my best (and only bet), as the Hilton is sold out on my dates.

I'm not bothered about bars and nightlife, I'm more concerned if the hotel is in a seedie or rough area.

See my other post regarding the Marathon Hampton Inn - its vanished.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

The doubletree is in a good area, not seedy at all. It is not the best location for the nightlife and shops of duvall st. I have put some friends there and where happy with the hotel. The rooms are great and the hotel was spotless - only 2 years old. You should have nothing to worry about staying there. I have some friends staying there in oct for fantasy fest. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

The gm told me that the hotel will be a premium level - not a classic as stated before.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 1:48 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Tim T -

Sorry to give you bad info about the Hampton Marathon. It was a Hampton when I drove past it in June....

KeyWestBars -

Does the DT offer a shuttle to Old Town? I scored a $59/night suite at the Sheraton Suites by Smathers Beach last Memorial Day, and found it was no big deal to stay away from Old Town because of the shuttle....

[This message has been edited by duxfan (edited 09-23-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.