Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Who will play with me , a Diamond requalification game

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who will play with me , a Diamond requalification game

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:43 pm

The rolling tier isn't that difficult - really. Anyone who hits their 28 stays/60 nights/100,000 base points at any point during 2005 will be Diamond until April of 2007. The only thing that has changed from the old system to the new system is that you have any twelve-month period to qualify, not just January to December.

Mike
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:05 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nako
The rolling tier isn't that difficult - really. Anyone who hits their 28 stays/60 nights/100,000 base points at any point during 2005 will be Diamond until April of 2007. The only thing that has changed from the old system to the new system is that you have any twelve-month period to qualify, not just January to December.

Mike
After a year of discussion is it really that easy! At last (hopefully) the definitive answer.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat/Oneworld Sapphire
Okay, here's a follow up.

According to my VIP tier thing, I need 5 more stays before May to requalify. Since I re-qualified through April, does that mean I'm good to go through April 2008?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by missdona
Okay, here's a follow up.

According to my VIP tier thing, I need 5 more stays before May to requalify. Since I re-qualified through April, does that mean I'm good to go through April 2008?
Again, read above. The longest anyone can be extended until right now, according to the rolling tier T&Cs, is April of 2007. No one right now has been extended to April of 2008, because the earliest that can happen is January of 2006.

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:43 am

What counts as base points?

I have HGVC points which I could roll over to HH points. Do those count as base points?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by flyerer
I have HGVC points which I could roll over to HH points. Do those count as base points?
The short answer is no. The long answer comes from HHonors T&C:

Base points are defined as 10 points per dollar earned exclusive of any promotional or other type of bonus. Members will earn 10 HHonors Base points for every eligible U.S. dollar (or other currency equivalent) charged to an individual Member's hotel bill ('folio'), as defined in item 6, below, for qualifying stays at participating HHonors hotels.
Item 6 clarifies the following as eligible items:

'Eligible folio charges' for Hilton, Conrad, Coral by Hilton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites Hotels, Hilton Garden Inn and Hilton Grand Vacations Club hotels shall mean: room rate, food and beverage, telephone, laundry, pay-per-view movies, entertainment and recreational facilities, and other incidentals charged to the Member's room. 'Eligible folio charges' for Hampton Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites and Homewood Suites by Hilton hotels mean room rate only. Dining room or other charges not billed to a Member's room during a stay will not be eligible for credit.
Mike
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:00 pm

Programs: United GS/3MM Delta Platinum ,AA platinum,Marriott platinum,Hilton Diamond VIP,Hyatt Diamond
The short answer is no. The long answer comes from HHonors T&C:

Item 6 clarifies the following as eligible items:

Mike
I have called few times and I can not get correct answer either. I have 88 night stay since January. I have no idea when my membership expiers.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by 1K2M
I have called few times and I can not get correct answer either. I have 88 night stay since January. I have no idea when my membership expiers.
From this very thread (quoting myself):

Under the old system (where the qualifying period was January to December), you would have gotten Diamond for the remainder of this year and all of next year, up until April of the year after that. The same is true with the rolling tier. Why is it so hard for people to realize that the new rules are exactly the same as the old rules, only with a different qualifying period?

Mike
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:30 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Under the old system (where the qualifying period was January to December), you would have gotten Diamond for the remainder of this year and all of next year, up until April of the year after that. The same is true with the rolling tier. Why is it so hard for people to realize that the new rules are exactly the same as the old rules, only with a different qualifying period?

Mike
OK, so is there a "better" month to requalify? Dec. or Jan, e.g.? Or April vs May? I think this is the problem in understanding the new system; it isn't the same as the old system. (?)

Sounds as if you re-qualify April '06 or before, you are "in" until April '07. But if you qualify in May '06, you are then "in" until Apr '08?
Exactly how long is the re-qualifying period? 16 months? Or as described in the previous paragraph?
??
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Zip
OK, so is there a "better" month to requalify? Dec. or Jan, e.g.? Or April vs May? I think this is the problem in understanding the new system; it isn't the same as the old system. (?)

Sounds as if you re-qualify April '06 or before, you are "in" until April '07. But if you qualify in May '06, you are then "in" until Apr '08?
Exactly how long is the re-qualifying period? 16 months? Or as described in the previous paragraph?
??
There is no difference between requalifying in April 2006 or May 2006. Both of them will give you status for the remainder of 2006 and all of 2007, and your status would then expire in April of 2008.

Further, there is no difference between this and the old calendar year requalification period. If you hit 28 stays in February 2006 under the January-December qualifying, you'd get Diamond for the rest of 2006, all of 2007, and the first four months of 2008. If you didn't hit your 28th stay until September, however, the same would still apply - that is, Diamond until April of 2008.

The only thing that changes is that there are now a dozen different 12-month periods you can choose from instead of 1. If you hit your qualifying threshold at any point during 2005, then you'll have status until April of 2007. And to requalify, you have to hit the threshold at some point before then to requalify until April of 2008.

Mike
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, read above. The longest anyone can be extended until right now, according to the rolling tier T&Cs, is April of 2007. No one right now has been extended to April of 2008, because the earliest that can happen is January of 2006.

Mike

I had a long discussion last week with a DD rep since I have 25 or so stays for this year and I want to add remaining 3-4 in feb-march 2006 to requalify through 2008. The rep was adamant that rolling qualification in march 2006 will extend my status for 12 (or 13) months from that point eg through april 2007. Eventually she said she was not sure and the system will determine expiration date to go on the new diamond card. Need to try another rep sometime this week.
I'll give it a shot anyway - at worst I'll have it through early 2007.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:01 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
The only thing that changes is that there are now a dozen different 12-month periods you can choose from instead of 1. If you hit your qualifying threshold at any point during 2005, then you'll have status until April of 2007. And to requalify, you have to hit the threshold at some point before then to requalify until April of 2008.
Mike
OK, I think I am closing in on this. First, from Burke's original announcement:
"When a member achieves VIP status, that status will be valid through April of the second calendar year following the period in which the member qualified.
For example, if a member completes 28 qualifying stays between November 2004 and November 2005, that member will get upgraded to Diamond VIP status, which will be valid through April 2007."

OK, here is my specific case. For Diamond, I need one more stay in Dec. '05, or two more stays by end of Jan. '06. If I do the extra stay this month (Dec), then I'll be Diamond through April of '07. But if I wait, and do two stays in Jan. '06, then I will be Diamond through April of '08. Is this correct? If so, delaying by one month gives me an extra year as Diamond!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,Continental Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
I really need to get a life

Past 12 months below!!!

Qualifying Stays Completed: 42
Qualifying Nights Completed: 161
Qualifying Base Points Earned: 207363

To Maintain Diamond Status

2 more qualifying stays before the end of May 2006, or
4 more qualifying stays before the end of June 2006, or
8 more qualifying stays before the end of July 2006, or
13 more qualifying stays before the end of August 2006, or
16 more qualifying stays before the end of September 2006, or
21 more qualifying stays before the end of October 2006, or
25 more qualifying stays before the end of November 2006, or
27 more qualifying stays before the end of December 2006

Last edited by kat99; Dec 5, 2005 at 2:18 pm
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Zip
OK, here is my specific case. For Diamond, I need one more stay in Dec. '05, or two more stays by end of Jan. '06. If I do the extra stay this month (Dec), then I'll be Diamond through April of '07. But if I wait, and do two stays in Jan. '06, then I will be Diamond through April of '08. Is this correct? If so, delaying by one month gives me an extra year as Diamond!
The answer to this question is: no one is sure. The January loophole has been discussed at great length since the rolling tier was introduced, but no one is quite sure how they're going to handle it. By the T&Cs, a January 2006 renewal would extend status until April 2008, but no one is quite sure if they'll handle it quite that way.

I figure we'll know more about that come next month, though my belief (based purely on speculation) is that hitting requalification in January 2006 will extend the status until April of 2008, not April of 2007.

Mike

Last edited by nako; Dec 5, 2005 at 2:57 pm
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:24 pm

In my case, I had more than 60 nights between June 2005-August 2005 (and logged many more HH nights until Oct 2005) and made Diamond, was told my status is good until April 2007. Even if I log zero HH hotel nights from here on out, come January 2006, I will still have more than 60 nights in the previous 12 months. Come June 2006, I will still have more than 60 nights in the previous 12 months.

Does that mean the rolling tier will recognize that I "requalified" for Diamond as of sometime in 2006 (pick any date in 2006, from 1/1 until about 7/15) and automatically requalify me until April 2008, without my logging any more HH nights???

This really confuses me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.