Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in/near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA {US-PA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in/near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA {US-PA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:09 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by gof
Well, I decided to give it a try and booked a room at the HI for next Friday. Hopefully my gold will get me something decent. I was able to get a rate of $109 even at this relatively late date for a NS King room.
Let us know what you think of the place. I cant imagine you can go wrong there....looks pretty standard issue Hampton Inn.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:30 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Let us know what you think of the place. I cant imagine you can go wrong there....looks pretty standard issue Hampton Inn.
Oops. I meant the Hilton, not Hampton.

I've an associate on the same trip that will be taking the train up to NYC saturday morning. Anyone care to recommend a place for him to overnight?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by gof
Oops. I meant the Hilton, not Hampton.

I've an associate on the same trip that will be taking the train up to NYC saturday morning. Anyone care to recommend a place for him to overnight?
From memory the Inn at Penn and the ES would probably be the closest. Haven't stayed at the Inn for a few years but it was nice in the past. Never stayed at the ES.

Edit: The website says the Inn is being renovated so either watch out or maybe there will be a good rate.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: Cont-Gold, UAL-PremExec, USAir-Silver, HH-Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Starwood-Gold
Post hilton airport is not good IMHO

I stayed at the Hilton Airport for 4 weeks straight in Nov/Dec this past year. All the downtown hotels were booked so I had to commute to city center.

Pros
-bellmen were nice
-buffet food was good
-the cleaning ladies were hilarious and one morning i walked by a room and I hear one say "ewww girl, what IS this $hit?!?!" I laughed about it the entire way to work.

Cons
-rooms are *really* outdated
-super loud window unit for AC/Heat
-always construction men working on the roof at 8am for some odd reason
-when it rained, the lip of the window always caught the drops for some reason...and I was in differnet rooms on different parts of the building!!
-sometimes the front desk screwed up communication with the shuttle and we'd have to wait for like 30-45 minutes
-the main lobby behind the pool was under construction
-internet was shoddy and slower than doodoo

I think there's a reason that hotel always has vacancy and is inexpensive. I stayed at the Airport Hilton Gardon Inn once and that was ok...you have to pay for Internet though. At least I got a good nights sleep!

I always stay downtown at the Doubletree on Broad St. pool, jacuzzi, sauna, 2 racketball courts and a good bar...love it!

Originally Posted by gof
I've got an early morning flight out coming up and am considering shifting close to the airport during an area stay. Past threads on the PHL Hilton consider it old and tired, but I'm wondering if it's been updated recently? Any other recommendations near the airport to let me get a few more ZZZ's and a quick shuttle ride to the airport?

Oh, does it have a lounge? What's a Gold likely to see?
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by warbucks
I think there's a reason that hotel always has vacancy and is inexpensive. I stayed at the Airport Hilton Gardon Inn once and that was ok...you have to pay for Internet though. At least I got a good nights sleep!

I always stay downtown at the Doubletree on Broad St. pool, jacuzzi, sauna, 2 racketball courts and a good bar...love it!

I have always found the PHL airport Hilton Garden Inn really tough to book...since there isnt one. If they did have one they shouldnt be charging for internet.

There has to be some rooms that have not been updated yet....cant imagine people have a problem with the rooms I have stayed in. The beds have always been really comfortable....relatively standard room otherwise but beds where all new. Never had trouble with the internet either but timing could be everything.

I do agree with you on the on Doubletree nice property and probably the best Hilton family property in Philly...well for me anyway.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gof
I've got an early morning flight out coming up and am considering shifting close to the airport during an area stay. Past threads on the PHL Hilton consider it old and tired, but I'm wondering if it's been updated recently? Any other recommendations near the airport to let me get a few more ZZZ's and a quick shuttle ride to the airport?

Oh, does it have a lounge? What's a Gold likely to see?
The best bet is the Marriott. It is attached to the airport. I do the hilton a lot, but you do have to take the shuttle, only 5 minutes, but then you are on their schedule. The PHL marriott is like the BOS Hilton, PIT Hyatt, BDL Sheraton etc. All inside the airport
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:32 pm

I was at the Embassy Suites this past week, had some problemsgetting the High Speed Internet to work. And the Elevador near my room was broken but otherwise seemed as good as any other ES.

I have stayed at the Hilton before, it does feel somewhat rundown but it isn't a bad place after just staying at the ES I think I might like it a bit better. The free breakfast for Diamonds is in their normal restraunt and I remember being pretty good.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton
I've stayed at the Airport Embassy Suites several times. In the last few years, the rooms have had quite a bit of wear and tear, but it's still nice. There are always friendly people at the manager's reception and the bar tenders are extremely nice, as are the cooks who prepare the hot breakfast items. When I walk into the lobby, I get a "home away from home" feeling.

I've stayed at the Airport Hampton once. When I need to be by the airport, I always try the Embassy and Hilton, before the Hampton.

My stays at the Airport Hilton have been pleasant. I have had rooms facing the runway & while I thought I'd be disturbed by the jets, it wasn't as loud as I've expected. I will be spending a night there next week and will report back on my stay.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:15 pm

Philadelphia Hiltons

By the Airport:
Note Embassy and Hampton are in the same cluster of hotels. There's a Ruby Tuesdays between them.

Embassy - I've stayed at the Airport Embassy Suites several times. In the last few years, the rooms have had quite a bit of wear and tear, but it's still nice. There are always friendly people at the manager's reception and the bar tenders are extremely nice, as are the cooks who prepare the hot breakfast items. When I walk into the lobby, I get a "home away from home" feeling. Great to stay here when staying with large groups of people. The restaurant is nice, but slow. I did have a billing discrepancy once, but the hotel quickly rectified it.

Hampton - I've stayed at the Airport Hampton once. When I need to be by the airport, I always try the Embassy and Hilton, before the Hampton.

Hilton - My stays at the Airport Hilton have been pleasant. I have had rooms facing the runway & while I thought I'd be disturbed by the jets, it wasn't as loud as I've expected. I will be spending a night there next week and will report back on my stay.

Center City:

Doubletree - My room has always been very nice with a nice view. I haven't been that thrilled with the heater/AC. It blows the curtains way out and can easily over heat or over chill. Diamond breakfast rewards are inconsistent...sometimes in the lounge, sometimes free in the restaurant. Horrible parking building, if you bring a car and don't valet. I'd valet, if staying here. Again, inconsistent, sometimes valet can't be found.

Hilton Garden Inn - Nice location. Nice parking building. If there's a large convention, you might have to remind them of upgrades if you're entitled to them (ie, water bottles, breakfast and drink vouchers). Great views from lounge, restaurant on top floor. There's usually a group of nice frequent travellers (Hhonors members) gathered around the bar in the evening, swapping travel stories. I also have a stay planned here next and will update with any other info, if applicable.

Embassy Downtown - Valets can be slow, if you bring a car. There is a taxi stand right outside the hotel, sometimes I'll use it, instead of waiting for my car, if I bring it. Some rooms have wonderful views down Ben Franklin Parkway! Free breakfast is at TGIFs. Sometimes the breakfast servers do not like you to get your own drinks, if that happens the day you are there, be sure to order drink as soon as you sit down because they can be really slow. Nice manager's reception in evenings, especially in warmer weather when you can sit on outdoor patio. I've had at least 2 rooms at this location, where carpet in the room was damp...feel you might want to check it out before walking around in socks.

Inn at Penn - This hotel is really between Center City and City Line. It's a nice enough hotel, but make sure it's near whereever you need to go. It's not too far from the train station and frequented by taxis. I've never tried to park at this one. I did have a mess up on my bill where they charged me for someone else's bar tab, but as soon as I brought it to their attention, it was taken car of. Rooms are adequate.

City Line:

Note, if you have to travel back and forth from Center City, I'd try Center City or Airport 1st, because traffic and sun glare can be really bad during commuting rush hours! If travelling without a car, it's can be difficult to get around from this area.

Homewood - Very nice. One of the nicest Homewoods I've stayed in. Parking is down a hill across the street. If it's icy in the winter, I take my car next to door to the Hilton valet and have them park it. Free dinner includes wine and beer. There's actually servers who keep your drink glass filled. Wednesday night, they have a fun manager's trivia night, during which they keep the wine and beer flowing an hour late. One Wed, I actually had the servers bringing me free petit fors (mini cakes) during trivia & had to ask them to stop filling my wine glass (I didn't want to over-indulge). The rooms have a super soft blanky in them, that many of my co-workers actually ended up going to the Hilton gift shop next door to purchase one of their own. This hotel is attached to the City Line Hilton.

Hilton - I'd select the attached Homewood over the Hilton. It's a bit posh and stuffy for a business trip. Also, on a recent stay, they actually lost a co-workers reservation. She had to wait over 2.5 hours, while they ended up getting her into the Homewood next door.

Valley Forge:
Note if you have business in Center City, while Valley Forge/King of Prussia looks to be close (I think it's between 15-20 miles) the commute during rush hour can take well upwards of an hour (1.5 hours isn't unusual).

Hilton - Easy parking. Easy access to one of the largest malls in the US (King of Prussia) a few blocks away. Lots of eating choices around. Rooms are acceptable. Be careful if booking a block of rooms...we've had some reservation mix up when booking more than one room at a time at this property. Staff in the restaurant is very nice. Very nice morning buffet. Hallways to rooms, sometimes feel a bit like a maze. I like to ask for a room not too far from the elevator at this particular hotel.

Last edited by chocolate2346; Mar 28, 2006 at 2:26 pm
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Great summary on a lot of hotels that will be very helpful when making a choice on where to stay in the Philadelphia area. Thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Very timely review for me as I have a trip to Philly coming up in May. Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by chocolate2346
Doubletree - My room has always been very nice with a nice view. I haven't been that thrilled with the heater/AC. It blows the curtains way out and can easily over heat or over chill. Diamond breakfast rewards are inconsistent...sometimes in the lounge, sometimes free in the restaurant. Horrible parking building, if you bring a car and don't valet. I'd valet, if staying here. Again, inconsistent, sometimes valet can't be found.
Great summary of Philly area hotels. ^

Just so I can add my 2 cents, here's photos of the Doubletree Philly City Center:
http://slippahs.smugmug.com/gallery/1264298
Password is flyertalk ; and, as always, please do not reproduce photos.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:09 am

Update Hilton Valley Forge in King of Prussia.

Originally, I indicated I'd give an update for the Philadelphia Hilton Garden Inn and Philadelphia Airport Hilton this week, but the location of the meeting on Day 1 changed to King of Prussia. I spent 2 nights there this week, drove into to Philadelphia Center City, Historical District on morning of Day 2.

Note if you have business near Philadelphia Center City, while Valley Forge/King of Prussia looks to be close, about 20 miles, the commute can take well upwards of an hour, during rush hour or not. On Day 2 of trip, I had a meeting in Philadelphia in the late morning. I wanted to wait to leave hotel until after rush hour, so left a little after 9 a.m. I arrived in Historical District close to 10:30...it took between 1 to 1.5 hours for the commute in non-rush hour.

Parking
The parking at the hotel is very easy parking, I recommend if you are driving and there are no places in front of hotel, rather than heading up the hill to left of entrance, look to right and park in kind of hidden 2 level parking structure.

Surrounding Area
Easy access to one of the largest malls in the US (King of Prussia) a few blocks away, the mall recently got even better...added a 3rd floor. Lots of eating choices close by hotel.

Diamond Perks
Diamond members appear to get a $5 certificate for any of 3 food locations in the hotel. A certificate for a free drink at 2 or 3 locations in the hotel. Free buffet breakfast (they stopped giving certificates, the wait staff just asks for room number and comes back and gives bill showing that since you're gold you get free breakfast). 2 free bottles of water in room, replaced daily.

Hotel Restaurant
There are at least 2 places in hotel serving dinner. One is a Japenese restarant called Kobe, I havent' yet tried. For dinner I prefer to eat at the hotel in Maxwell's pub. The food is delicious and wait staff is terrific!! Very nice morning buffet, which is also served at Maxwell's.

Room and Hallway
Hallways to rooms, sometimes feel a bit like a maze. I like to ask for a room not too far from the elevator at this particular hotel. Hallyway on floor 9 was a bit smelly near elevator and carpet going to room was a bit worn, but the room was very nice. My room has always been large at this property. They addded new large bath sheets to the towel rack in the shower, but maid forgot to put one back in my room for 2nd night. I love the large bath sheet. The room was clean and furniture comfortable. The rooms can pick up a bit of noise from traffic outside, but turning fan, heater, or AC on can make white noise to drown out sound...I heard at least 3 people at breakfast saying this same thing...so I know it wasn't just my room.

Be careful if booking a block of rooms...we've had some reservation mix up when booking more than one room at a time at this property.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 9:12 am

Best Philadelphia Area Fitness Center?

Lots of Philadelphia threads out there, some of which hint at the answer I'm looking for, but here's the question:

Among Hilton (and affiliate) properties in the Philadelphia area, who's got the best fitness center?

Virtually none of the properites have fitness center pictures posted. And a couple have suspiciously similar pictures.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Doubletree is good

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Thanks for everyone's info. I am surprised there isn't a full service Hilton in downtown Philadelphia. I will probably give the Doubletree a shot.

The Doubletree is good; the one on broad. I was there on Tuesday night. I much prefer the Hilton Garden Inn on Arch. It's right opposite the Convention Center. There's a lot to do around there too.

The property is clean and well maintained. There is a restaurant on the top floor. There are some reasonably nice restaurants in the locality. There are great restaurants on Broad.

When I am at events in the Convention Center, I personally prefer the HGI over the Doubletree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.