Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2001, 7:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
The Torrey Pines Hilton is a fabulous property and the food there is excellent. However, it is a popular hotel for weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs so weekends can be very busy and crowded.

Just down the hill is Torrey Pines State Beach and Park (which is gorgeous), and a bit more to the south is the village of Del Mar. There are lots of good restaurants nearby and La Jolla is also very close.

I think the Hilton Torrey Pines is a very different price point and experience than the Hilton Garden Inn and it would be a very different type of stay. I think parking at the Hilton Garden in is free and at the Hilton Torrey Pines it is about $18 per day.
Old Apr 19, 2001, 8:21 pm

I would definitely recommend the HGI in Carlsbad. I have stayed there, and it is comfortable and new. The beach is right across the street. As others have pointed out, the village of Carlsbad has some good restaurants downtown (in addition to the ones described, Le Passage has great French food). It is about 5 minutes away by car.

Since I live up the road in Laguna Niguel, I have not stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Dana Point, but it seems ok. It is strangely situated between a busy highway and the railroad tracks, but it is not far from the beach or the harbor.
Old Apr 20, 2001, 12:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thanks to all for all the feedback! I've saved the link in my travel folder. As it turns out, because of HHonors award availability, we ended up going instead to the San Diego Airport/Harbor Island Hilton during 4th of July week. To my surprise, they had HHonors award rooms available. Thanks again, all.
Old Apr 20, 2001, 9:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
cblaisd-

Hope you have a fun stay. San Diego is a great place to visit and the location you selected, while not my first choice (OR SECOND OR THIRD), nor the best of the Hilton properties in San Diego, is close to a lot of fun things to do. E-mail me if you want restaurant recommendations. Since you are so close, do not miss a visit to the Cabrillo National Monument!!
Old Apr 20, 2001, 10:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally posted by FrAAmer:
cblaisd-

E-mail me if you want restaurant recommendations. Since you are so close, do not miss a visit to the Cabrillo National Monument!!
FrAAmer , I'd enjoy getting your recommendations indeed, but you don't have an email address posted in your profile. Email me instead if you prefer.

Old Apr 21, 2001, 2:11 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I din't mention Black's Beach, since they wanted a quiet place! :0)

There is no place like San Diego. It has a Downtown with a cruise terminal, airport, trolley to an international destination (Tijuana, Mexico), zoo, Museums, ocean and inland beaches, surfing, Naval and Marine training bases, Naval ship yards, destroyers, ships, Seaport, Convention Center, sailboats, National Park, etc. Almost all within walking distance of each other. With the climate, you would pray for.
Old Apr 25, 2001, 2:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

BUSINESS TRAVELLER, a UK magazine, just had an article about the San Diego Hilton. It liked it - a lot. You can find its review at http://www.businesstraveller.com/tri..._tested.REF=71
Old Apr 26, 2001, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000926.html
Old Apr 27, 2001, 4:42 pm

The Embassy Suites is within a short walk and you can't beat their free breakfast and drinks in the evening.
Old Jun 17, 2001, 7:26 pm

Location: Vienna, VA - VS Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Diamond
San Diego Advice

I am going to hopefully stay in San Diego this summer for a few nights and would ideall love to stay near the beach, if not a nice pool and atmosphere in the hotel will do. Which hilton group hotel would you recommend? I have been hooked by hilton for the points for the gold challenge!
Old Jun 17, 2001, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
There are 6 Hiltons in San Diego. I'd recommend you try for one of the following:

Least well known with great location...Hilton Harbor Island...across from the airport, very "San Diego", beautiful job remodeling Travelodge about 1 1/2 years ago, in a very picturesque part of town. Not exactly on the beach, but very close.

Hilton Mission Bay...well-established resort property on "San Diego's playground"... beaches, jet-skis, sailing, you're right in the heart of everything.

Hilton Torrey Pines...very classy, upscale resort in the northwestern (expensive) part of town...slightly removed from the "action", but a magnificent property nonetheless.

Hilton Del Mar...across from the Del Mar Racetrack and fairgrounds...basic Hilton, but terrific location...very tough to get into during the summer at any price.

Hilton Gaslamp...newest Hilton in San Diego...downtown...very nice, but not near beaches and very expensive.

Hilton Mission Valley...converted Doubletree...about 10 minutes from beaches...good location for all San Diego activities like zoo, Sea World, etc.

Welcome to "America's Finest City"!
Old Jun 18, 2001, 3:28 am

Location: Mesa, AZ., USA, DL Gold,CRC,WN whatever,AA nobody,HHonors Diamond,Starwood Gold, could careless about Rental Car Co's.
I echo Capt mike......my first choice is always Harbor Island Airport Hilton. very convenient and close to everything. staff is very helpful even in providing rides within reason.....<for a tip>
Old Jun 18, 2001, 6:14 am

If it's beach and pool atmosphere you want, I'd say go the the Mission Bay resort property. I stayed there last fall and was very pleased with the property and the service. Remember that the beach is on the bay, not the ocean - not overly conducive to swimming, imo.
My stay was business-related. Unfortunately the business services office made a major snafu on an important Fedex shipment that cost me hundreds of dollars to resolve. However, to their credit, they immediately acknowledged their error and said they would do "whatever it takes" to rectify the situation. And they did come through in that regard, reimbursing me all additional out of pocket expenses and even offering to have one of their employees drive to LA to hand deliver the documents. Based on their can-do service attitude and the beautiful location, I would return here without hesitation!
Old Jun 18, 2001, 6:47 pm

Are you going with your family? Our family has vacationed at the Mission Bay resort twice and were very pleased with the service and accommodations. We had breakfast at the restaurant every morning and it was convenient and the food was fine. The water in the bay is a little murky but if you have kids it's convenient and less stressful than the ocean waves. The counselors at Vacation Station were very attentive to our kids. The villa accommodations are better than the tower, which is at the back (main entrance) of the resort. We watched the fireworks at Sea World a couple of times from our balcony.
Old Jun 18, 2001, 9:37 pm

Location: Vienna, VA - VS Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Sport, no I am not going with any kids so the ocean waves would not affect us that much. It is good to hear that the fireworks can be enjoyed at the hotel.
I am looking fwd to it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.