Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Durango {US-CO}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Durango {US-CO}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Silver
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Durango {US-CO}

Our first family vacation in 8 years and we're going to Durango, Colorado! I've already got reservations at the Hilton there but I know nothing about it. Can anyone relay their experiences at this hotel?

Also, it's a reward stay (a first for me). I'm Silver. How does Hilton treat reward stayers? Curious about what to expect...

Last edited by AmericanWoman; Jul 11, 2005 at 9:45 pm
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk! Looks like there is a Doubletree and a Hampton Inn in Durango. I didn't see a Hilton.

Which one are you staying at?

I would suggest you search for reviews on tripadvisor.com as well.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
what hilton?

Originally Posted by AmericanWoman
Our first family vacation in 8 years and we're going to Durango, Colorado! I've already got reservations at the Hilton there but I know nothing about it. Can anyone relay their experiences at this hotel?

Also, it's a reward stay (a first for me). I'm Silver. How does Hilton treat reward stayers? Curious about what to expect...
Last time i stayed in durango it was a doubletree. Dont expect much if you get a river view your lucky
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Silver
Yes, I did mean the Doubletree (not a Hilton). Sorry about that. Pics on the website looked good, but I know that doesn't really mean much. I have stayed at a Hampton before and didn't like it at all so I am hoping the Doubletree will be better.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AmericanWoman
Yes, I did mean the Doubletree (not a Hilton). Sorry about that. Pics on the website looked good, but I know that doesn't really mean much. I have stayed at a Hampton before and didn't like it at all so I am hoping the Doubletree will be better.
when I was last there my son raced in the Iron Horse classic bicycle race (and won it ^ ) the doubletree was much better than the back of the station wagon
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Thumbs up Decent property in a beautiful town

I have to say this hotel was a pleasure. i was treated quite well as a Diamond member - the front desk was very accommodating, which included an early Noon check-in, an upgrade to a river view top floor room with the new pillow top beds, a breakfast certificate which made the morning a pleasure, and free internet beginning with the lobby before I even checked in. Also had a restaurant offer which included more HH points (but i ran late in the town that evening (easy to do) and missed out). Looking out at the golden fall leaves and the flowing river into the eve and over morning coffee, well, sometimes its nice to be able to travel to such a place like Durango vs. the bustling cities.
Thank you for a great stay DTree Durango! Cannot wait to bring the family down next time!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:33 am

July 4

Staying here on the 4th of July. One of the city press releases mention the doubletree as being near the fireworks display.

Anyone know if the city or river view might be good for viewing or any other tips for that evening?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1M, 1K,AA 2M,HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Durango Doubletree is a fabulous location. You can park there, walk to the train station, and pretty much anything in the old downtown area. The hotel is bit older than some, but seems well maintained when I've stayed there. Benefits can be a bit hit or miss, but if you ask, they usually will take care of you. I had two rooms for a family trip a summer ago, and I had to ask for breakfast vouchers, but they eventually were produced.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The location is good and the hotel is probably okay. We stayed there a couple of years ago (Mrs. Fredd grew up in Durango and it is indeed a great place) and experienced a series of annoying issues that led to an e-mail (the only such hotel complaint we've ever felt the need to write) to the general manager. He responded promptly with a letter of apology and a promise of a free night.

We haven't been back but I'd certainly give it another try, particularly given the manager's responsiveness.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Lovely hotel, across the street from downtown Durango, and fronting the river.

Waiting for us in the room was a card signed by a number of staff members wishing us a happy anniversary, a very nice cheese, fruit, and chocolate plate with bottle of champagne. Then received a call from the General Manager apologizing that because of the lateness of our reservation (only made a couple of days before arrival) couldn't upgrade us to a King two-room suite.

Impressive.

(Except for that idiotic single/dual cup coffeemaker that someone in the DT/ES hierarchy should be chastised about. In a number of stays at DT/ES I have never actually had one of them work correctly)
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
...Then received a call from the General Manager...
Good to hear. ^ We're staying there for a couple of nights (including that free night I mentioned upthread) toward the end of the month and we're looking forward to giving them another try.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 3:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Another incredible stay....

Five night reward stay. General Manager (who is VERY accessible to email) gave us a high floor river view room. Outstanding. The rooms are big, they've been updated, the bedding is very nice. Nice to have both a desk and a small dining table with several chairs at it, plus a nice chair and ottoman to veg in

Had one room service dinner; was simply outstanding - it was something I would have been very pleased with in a "real" restaurant.

The continental breakfast buffet (continental buffet free for Gold/Diamond; upgrade to full buffet $5.45) was decent, and the hot buffet very good. Very pleasant to sit and eat and watch the river.

The location cannot be beat.

Every single staff member I encountered was cheerful and smiling.

Will definitely return again!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Another incredible stay....
Good to hear. ^ I should have reported back after our comped stay last year that it was quite satisfactory and a significant improvement on one of those everything-that-can-go-wrong stays that we'd experienced previously. As you say, it's an excellent location with some very nice employees.

Of course, Durango is Mrs. Fredd's hometown and I know that everyone there is nice.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Reviving an old thread for the benefit of future searchers.

My wife and spent one night here as part of a grand tour of Colorado. I'm Gold, and we were upgraded to a first floor river view full suite. It really was a suite: huge living room, bathroom with a big jetted tub, and king bedroom. The hotel overall has a quaint older western theme, but was definitely one of the nicer Hilton properties we stayed at during our 10 day road trip.

Neil
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
It sounds like this is a really great property! My wife and I are going skiing in Durango in mid February, and we'll be staying at the Doubletree.

Question - we don't plan on renting a car... how accessible is the mountain? What about getting to/from the airport to the Doubletree?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.