Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Homewood Suites by Hilton New Orleans {US-LA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homewood Suites by Hilton New Orleans {US-LA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Arrow Homewood Suites by Hilton New Orleans {US-LA}

Just returned from my first stay at a Homewood Suites, being the new Homewood Suites in New Orleans. Wow. Very nice property. Grand entrance and impressive lobby. Of course, if you're going to build right next to the La Pavion Hotel, you'd better be pretty nice. Located on Poydras and Baronne, it is convenient to both the Superdome and The Quarter.

As the hotel has only been open for two weeks, I'll cut them a little slack. Got a great $99 rate back in October but was a little leery about staying here as it had just opened. In conversation with the front desk a few days prior to checkin to confirm reservation, they did verify the presence of a PC w/high speed internet connection in the business center. Great idea, poor execution. After checking in at 9:30pm, I went up to the business center to access the internet. As I wanted to check an auction on e-Bay for a pair of water skis I was bidding on, I was a little aggrevated to find that they did not yet have internet access in the business center. I won the auction so all is well that ends well. Don't know if I'd have invoked the 100% satisfaction guarantee over this issue alone if I'd have lost the skis, but maybe yes with the other issues added?

I had a one room suite. Rooms are nice size and tastefully decorated with separate living/sleeping quarters. Full size fridge, sink, two burner stovetop, microwave and dishes and eating utinsals and small table make up the small kitchen area. Hummm, paper towels or a dish towel and would have been a nice touch! Nice large bathroom w/ separate dressing area. A bow shaped shower curtain rod is a nice touch. The bow shape kept the curtain away from the guest while in the shower. What's up with the water saver Shower Massage shower head? Geez guys. This is New Orleans. The Mississippi River is a few blocks away and we're concerned about water conservation??? One thing of concern was the failure of the housekeeping crew to empty the trash can in the sleeping quarters. Full of trash upon checkin and still not emptied when room was cleaned. Advised front desk at checkout and they didn't seem too suprised by this comment! The hotel has a vey nice indoor pool, however, a part for the heating system had not yet arrived and it did not appear open for use. One of the best features was the breakfast. Now I'm a breakfast guy and this was great. Waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage and the usual pastries, fruit, yogurt and ceral. Nice way to start the day. Staff was generally very nice. Parking will be a problem for some guests as it is across the street at a public lot. This may change later but for now it's kind of a hassle crossing Poydras to retrieve the car. I did remember to ask the front desk about available upgrades when I was checking out as I know that will be of interest to some folks out there. I was told that being an all suite hotel, they don't really have any room upgrades. They did mention however that they'd just received a shipment of bathrobes, so maybe that will be part of the aminity pack for HHonors VIPs in the future. But for this stay, not even a pack of Oreos and water. Oh well, don't need to eating Oreos at 10pm anyway!

All in all, this should be a very nice addition to the Hilton properties in NOLA. But for the money, my top choice is still the Hampton Inn & Suites on Convention Center Blvd.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:04 pm

Sounds like you may have caught them too soon after openeing and they haven't worked out all of the bugs yet. Although, I wouldn't settle for that argument if they tried to appease you with it. I stayed at the HW Suites in Houston over the weekend. Nice property - about 2 or 3 years old. Even though I am HH Gold, I wasn't expecting anything based on some of the posts I read on this board. I checked in an hour early and was told by the desk clerk that had I arrived later, they would have had water and cookies waiting in my room. Anyway, they gave them to me at the front desk which was nice. I concur with your opinion about HW Suites. The room was spacious with a large bedroom and dressing area. And for $69 it was a deal. The neighborhood was too crowded for my liking but other than that, I would stay there again.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Homewood Suites by Hilton® New Orleans

I use to live in new orleans but this property is new since i have lived there - map on hilton site is somewhat vague as to cross street. has anyone stayed there? if so, how is it? seemed a very reasonable price for new orleans hotels and in comparison to everything else i checked. going with a group of friends and the ability to get 2 bedroom suites and split the cost really lowers the total cost to everyone but wanted to check out the quality and location first. thanks
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
Donna,

If you are willing to travel over to the Huey P (West bank), there is a great Hampton on Elmwood with 2-room suites for $129/night. I used to stay ther every other week for quite a few years, and will be there again in early Feb for a weekend to visit friends.

GMF
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldmedallionflyer:
Donna,

If you are willing to travel over to the Huey P (West bank), there is a great Hampton on Elmwood with 2-room suites for $129/night. I used to stay ther every other week for quite a few years, and will be there again in early Feb for a weekend to visit friends.

GMF
</font>
Thanks GMF but I am not sure I will want to tackle the Huey P after a night out in New Orleans :-)
Old Jan 21, 2003, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Donna, when are you planning to stay there?

I have an upcoming stay starting 1/31 for three nights. Booked it on the New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau website and got a one-bedroom suite for $119+tax for two nights, third night free! (Better deal than on the Hilton website. However, the two-bedroom suites were not shown on the CVB site.)

If you plug the address (901 Poydras St) into mapquest.com, it appears the cross street is Baronne.

I'll report on the hotel here after my stay.

Kathy
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:21 am

Kathy,

thanks! i won't be going until late march.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 7:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

the hampton inn on Elmwood is on the Eastbank. You don't have to cross the Huey P. Long.

Also the Homewood Suites is a two room (living room and a bedroom) suite not a two BEDroom suite for the average room. They do have some suites that have 2 bedrooms but they are significantly more. The Homewood Suites is a very good location. It is on Poydras about half way between the Superdome and the river, if this gives you any point of reference.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Here is my review. As noted above, I stayed Fri.-Sun. nights 1/31-2/2 on a special New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau deal, first two nights at $119.00+tax, third night free. With tax, this totalled just over $90/night for the three nights in a one-bedroom suite.

Location is on Poydras at Baronne, just across the street from Le Pavillon, a historic New Orleans hotel. I walked to and from the French Quarter every day of my stay (sometimes more than once). Of course, in a different season -- in the hot, muggy weather that is the norm for most of the year -- the walk might seem too long!

My Diamond amenity was two small packages of Milano cookies, two bottles of water, and a "welcome" letter.

As a reference point, I have stayed at only one other Homewood Suites, in Seattle, just north of downtown and near Seattle Center (Space Needle etc.), in February 2001. That place was outstanding in every way. I am afraid that the HS in NOLA suffered by comparison.

The room layout has a living room/kitchen combo as you enter. There is a small table/desk just inside the door, with a chair on each side. Sitting in the chair next to the door blocks the door. Furnishings are cheap-looking. Although this is a brand new hotel, the living room carpet was very stained. (Almost makes you wonder if there is a factory somewhere that makes pre-stained carpeting for hotels!) There was a balcony off the living room.

The layout would be inconvenient for a share, since the friend(s) crashing on the living room sofabed would have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. I saw the interiors of a few other suites that were being cleaned. They all appeared to have the same layout of bathroom off bedroom.

The bedroom is small. Both the living room and the bedroom have a TV. The bathroom is divided into a sink area across from the closet and a separate toilet and bathtub room.

Signs of cheap construction abound. For example, the folding mirrored closet door was hard to operate (perhaps improperly installed).

Service during my stay was slipshod. On Saturday, I had the "do not disturb" sign on my door until 12:30 noon. I then went out for nearly six hours (removing the sign). Upon my return, I found the room had not been serviced in any way. I understand that sheets are not changed daily (unless you request), but NOTHING was done. No replenishment of toilet paper or towels, no bed-making, nothing. I called to complain and it was explained to me that the housekeeping staff had probably not checked my door in the afternoon. At that point, 6:30 in the evening, I wanted privacy to take a shower before dinner; so I didn't want anyone coming up to make beds, etc.

The toilet paper dispenser had room for two rolls, but only one was provided, guaranteeing that I would run out. (And there wasn't an extra roll under the sink or anyplace else.)

Breakfast was so-so. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, the buffet was a madhouse and nothing was replenished promptly. Several trips had to be made just to get things like coffee, juice, silverware, etc. Very irritating. Monday morning, on the other hand, was not so bad. It was possible to get a cup of coffee on the first try, rather than the fourth! And there were more items available -- yogurt, for example.

On Monday morning, the bill slipped under my door was miscomputed. I was charged $119.00 for all three nights, instead of zero for the third night. Also, I was charged 75 cents each for four local phone calls. But there was NOTHING in the room indicating what the phone charges were. I called the front desk to ask them to recompute the bill, and the young lady said she would call right back, but never did. (I was in the room for more than an hour after that.) I also asked if I could check out an hour or two later than the normal 11:00 AM checkout time, but no dice. There was a convention group checking in, I was told, so no exceptions. I found this rather galling, to say the least. (Did they REALLY need to clean all 166 suites simultaneously?)

When I checked out, I was told that the "binder" in the room says that local calls are 75 cents each. I said there was NO binder anywhere in the room, but was given a look of disbelief. The extra night's charge and the phone charges were removed from my bill. (I also informed them that the phone in the living room had no cord and therefore didn't work. This really hadn't bothered me that much -- I just used the phone in the bedroom or my cellphone.)

All in all, the stay was marred by annoyances. It's an OK hotel with sloppy service. I wouldn't be eager to stay here again, but on the other hand, I wouldn't refuse to stay here again.

Kathy
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:59 am

I just completed my stay and I found the service to be pretty good and the rooms were very clean and roomy and every staff person I encountered was extremely nice. I went with a group of friends so we had two 2-bedroom/2 bath suites - perfect for sharing. It was a very convenient location although as someone said, walking to the french quarter in the summer would be out of the question but a cab ride was about $6. As the other poster said, the breakfast was nothing to write home about, but then again, its a family oriented suite hotel, so I didn't expect it to be - but it was perfectly adequate to grab some coffee and maybe a peice of toast before venturing out for the day.

We only stayed there because it was perfect for sharing rooms but otherwise, I would have probably opted for a normal hotel - unless staying for a long period of time when the extra space is nice to have. However, it was quite comfortable.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 4:02 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
Recently stayed at this property and I found it to be a very decent value. I had meetings over at the Hyatt. I was happy to leave the crowds and lines at the elevators behind each day, while staying in a suite for around $50 less each night than what a standard room would have cost me there.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:55 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Standby4321:
Recently stayed at this property and I found it to be a very decent value. I had meetings over at the Hyatt. I was happy to leave the crowds and lines at the elevators behind each day, while staying in a suite for around $50 less each night than what a standard room would have cost me there.</font>
Too Bad you did not stay at the Hyatt so that you could have qualified for the MC FFN promo. That way, although you may have saved some $, you lost out on getting at least one free hotel stay, if your convention's duration was more than 3 days.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 3:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJUPINTHEAIR:
Too Bad you did not stay at the Hyatt so that you could have qualified for the MC FFN promo. That way, although you may have saved some $, you lost out on getting at least one free hotel stay, if your convention's duration was more than 3 days.</font>
Well the Hyatt in NOLA is a big old dump. I think the original poster made a wise decision to stay at the nice new HS than the crummy Hyatt.

Old Jul 7, 2003, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
I agree. The Hyatt is a dump. I was there for 4 nights at the beginning of April.

Rooms were dirty, service was terrible, and the prices are too expensive.

The hilton is MUCH nicer.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum, Hertz PC
Homewood Suites NOLA

I just found an incredibly low rate at this hotel. It is a travel agent rate.

What are my chances of them asking for my credentials?

Last edited by travellinggal040361; Dec 5, 2004 at 4:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.