Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Massachusetts, USA {US-MA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Massachusetts, USA {US-MA}

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2003, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the quick reply, Eugene. Which hotel would you choose of the 3? I'm leaning toward the Inn at Harvard.
Old May 31, 2003, 5:34 pm

I haven't stayed at either one, so perhaps someone else with first-hand personal experience could advise you. I just saw these properties in a recent Doubletree directory, and made a mental note to myself to try some of these places next time I'm in Boston area. They all look like a nice alternative to a typical cookie-cutter business hotel.
Old May 31, 2003, 8:20 pm

Location: Oakland, CA; DL DM (2MM), WN A+, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis First
There's also the Doubletree Guest Suites, which is across the river from Harvard--maybe a 15-20 minute walk from Harvard Square. I stayed there for Harvard graduation weekend last year and found the service during a very busy weekend to be excellent. I recommend the river view.

A friend who stayed at the Inn at Harvard Square had a good experience, but I believe he commented that the rooms were small. Can't beat the location near the Kennedy School, though.
Old May 31, 2003, 9:43 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I like the free T1 access and the restaurant at the University Park hotel. Rooms are modernish with vessel sinks in the bathroom. Water pressure is average. Central Square is a nice working class neighborhood.
Old May 31, 2003, 10:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lensman:
...Central Square is a nice working class neighborhood.</font>
And most importantly, home to the world's best ice cream.

Toscanini's

Old Jun 1, 2003, 3:33 am

Programs: FB Gold
The Harvard Square Hotel is quite disappointing. Convenient location but rooms are cramped and very motel-like. It feels like a Motel 6 dropped into the city. The affiliation w/Doubletree doesn't include the usual Doubletree amenity of cookies. Unclear if there are any upgraded rooms and no breakfast as an HH Gold.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 6:01 am

It's easy to get confused with these properties, and a fe people have done an excellent job of it (getting confused, that is).

The Harvard Square Hotel is next to the Kennedy School and the Charles Hotel, almost in the center of Harvard Square. The location is exceptional, but the property itself is dumpy. It's an old motel, and it in fact sits next to an alley where buses sit with their engines idling. I'd avoid the place if possible.

The Inn at Harvard Square is really nowhere near the Kennedy School but is just a block from Harvard Yard (near Quincy St. and Mass Ave). It's a particularly pleasant place, with a nice atrium--an oasis of quiet in the happy cuckooness of Harvard Square.

The DoubleTree Guest Suites, which is in Allston (just across the river from Cambridge), has the worst location of any non-fleabag hotel in Boston. It sits nestled between a railroad yard and two highways (Storrow Drive & the Mass Pike), and there is nothing within a short walk of the hotel. Once you get across the always-busy intersection in front of the hotel, you do get to the river and have a 15- or 20-minute walk to Harvard Square, but the hotel is basically useful only to drive somewhere else. And if you want to drive somewhere else, what's the point of staying in a city??

Sorry, no info on CC - Hotel @ MIT.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Funny, I love the Doubletree Guest Suites. The rates much of the year (not at MIT graduation, though) are in the $119-$139 range, the rooms are large 2-room suites, and they take care of Diamonds (and those travelling with Diamonds) very well. It's about a $7 cab ride to the Central Square T station, or about a $15 cab ride to the Prudential Center. Since the rooms are almost always $22-$30 cheaper than the other Hilton/Doubletree properties, I like to stay there for the extra space.

The University Park @ MIT is nice as well, but usually beyond my budget unless I get it via Priceline. The location is better, the rooms are smaller but better furnished, and there is a grocery store on site. If you are in after 5pm and out before 8am, you can get $8 parking. If you need to head out of the city for the day, there is a Budget rental car location about two blocks away.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, US, SPG, MR, HH
The Suites and the Inn at Harvard are the only hotels there that accept or recognize HH points / status. The hotels in Cambridge are all owned by MIT or Harvard, and they use Hilton as manager. The universities recognize that they alone are enough of a draw to fill the rooms, so they have very limited contracts with Hilton, that usually do not include HHonors.

Inn at Harvard is in a great location for Harvard Square, and it's a very pleasant Hotel. Corporate recruiters love that hotel.

The University Park hotel at MIT is probably the most interesting -- imagine a W hotel designed by MIT students. Not in the best neighborhood though, and it's not convenient to any transportation.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gsilliman:
The Suites and the Inn at Harvard are the only hotels there that accept or recognize HH points / status. The hotels in Cambridge are all owned by MIT or Harvard, and they use Hilton as manager. The universities recognize that they alone are enough of a draw to fill the rooms, so they have very limited contracts with Hilton, that usually do not include HHonors. </font>
I'm not sure what you mean by "usually do not include HHonors". A lot of HH hotels are franchised and still participate in the program. Do you know for a fact that these two properties (CC - Hotel @ MIT and the Harvard Square Hotel) officially don't participate in the HHonors program, or they are just "non-compliant"? Typically, properties that can be booked through HH-brands web sites (e.g., Doubletree) do participate in the program, although some do so reluctantly. If you (or anyone else for that matter) have first-hand knowledge, could you shed more light on this, please?
Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:03 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
I'm not sure what you mean by "usually do not include HHonors". A lot of HH hotels are franchised and still participate in the program. Do you know for a fact that these two properties (CC - Hotel @ MIT and the Harvard Square Hotel) officially don't participate in the HHonors program, or they are just "non-compliant"? Typically, properties that can be booked through HH-brands web sites (e.g., Doubletree) do participate in the program, although some do so reluctantly. If you (or anyone else for that matter) have first-hand knowledge, could you shed more light on this, please? </font>
Back during the AA 20/20 promo, I stayed at CC - Hotel @ MIT, having booked it through the Hilton Web Site. It was called a Doubletree on my reservation, but nowhere in the hotel. In fact, I had to ask a couple of times if I was in the right place. I was told firmly "We are not part of Hhonors" when I registered and presented my hhonors gold card. "You can just book a room through the Hilton Web Site." In the room, there was an advertisement for Hhonors.

This was also during a 50K for 4 stays promo. When I got back, I complained to [email protected], or whatever that email was. I got the points, and credit for the 50K, but no miles, breakfast, stay credits, or real explanation.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sosafan:
I got the points, and credit for the 50K, but no miles, breakfast, stay credits, or real explanation.</font>
If you didn't get a stay credit, how did it count for the 50K then???

And getting no real explanation from HH on this is the worst, IMHO.

But, if you go to the HH official list of Category 4 properties, then click on Massachusets, you'll see that CC - Hotel @ MIT is listed there! How can they claim then their non-participation in HHonors???
Old Jun 4, 2003, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The University Park started giving HHonors points/stay credits sometime last year after enough of us *****ed and moaned. Last time I stayed there was on a Priceline rate ($45 for a late April weeknight!!). I gave them my HHonors number and got the stay credit.

As to not having any transportation nearby, it's about a 5-minute walk to the Central Square T stop.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, US, SPG, MR, HH
I do know for a fact that they do not participate in HH, but the situation is murky enough -- especially on Hilton's own web site -- that HH credit or some limited status recognition can sometimes be obtained, but this is not consistent, and is obtained only through an exception granted by some sympathetic individual hotel or HH employee handling the complaint. These hotels are not non-compliant, they simply do not have HH compliance included in their contracts with Doubletrtee, and they had enough clout to make these conditions stick.

I do not believe they are technically franchises of Hilton/Doubletree -- they do not use the hotel brands in their names -- rather, they have granted Doubletree a management contract. At one time, Doubletree made a specialty out of managing university-affiliated conference centers, and these hotel affiliations may be a vestige of that business.

One source of confusion regarding these hotels stems from the HH hotel search on the HH web site. Pull up any of these hotels, and there will be an HHonors logo with tag line and hyperlinks in the bottom right corner, and often another HHonors link in the "current features" section of the screen -- this is the Hilton "home page" for the hotel, and it sure seems to be linked to HHonors. However, under the "our Hotel" contents bar, there is no HHonors link -- different from almost every other hotel on the website. For the MIT and the Harvard Square hotels, you simply cannot pull up any hotel-specific HH ranking or other HH information from their home pages. Once upon a time, the MIT hotel did have that HHonors link, and it said something like "This hotel particpates as a level hotel" {i.e. blank}

I have learned this information over many visits, each time asking a question or two at the desk or of managers slightly differently -- and one occasion when I spent way too much time on the phone with HHonors trying to get breakfast coupons while staying at Harvard Square. My overall impression was -- the hotel staffs knew they were affiliated with Hilton, but knew nothing about HHonors; HHonors employees knew that these hotels were part of their network, but had no clue as to why they would not be participating in HHonors.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 9:43 am

gsilliman -- Thanks a lot for your detailed response!

I think this case is way beyond merely confusing, but rather very misleading.

Ownership of the property is immaterial here. If any property chooses not to participate in the program (and gets that affirmed in their franchise agreement), this information must be clearly communicated to the membership (that's what SPG does in their Terms and Conditions - spells out names of properties that are affiliated with Starwood brands but not participate in the program).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.